300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glock

I've heard a lot about Glocks being superior pistols, and I've heard a lot about Glocks being cheap, inferior pistols. Are they really that good/bad? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    They are among the best, if not the best pistols
    50.00%
    They're fine for me, but I admit they're not the best
    34.85%
    They're not really all that great, but not too bad
    12.12%
    They're terrible
    3.03%

I've used Glocks for 6 years and I've never had any problems with them. I've found that they shoot well and are easy to maintain, which is very good for most cops. I've also found that you have to have a gun you like to shoot. My partner hates Glocks and bought a $1,300 Kimber for use on duty. We went to the range and I shot just as well as he did with my $500 glock. He's now looking at Glocks differently, but he's looking at the Glock 23 instead of the 22 we're issued.
    As for best gun, I would have to vote for a Browning Hi Power.

Comment

While I don't think Glocks rise to the level of being the best gun made or any such hype, I DO feel that they are very good guns, and ideally suited to their intended task. They are rugged, reliable, accurate, and available in all current service calibers, and they have been proven to hold up under a wide variety of climates and abusive conditions.

Yes, there are better guns made, but all around, I feel that Glocks are good guns for the money, and capable of fulfilling service and personal defensive needs. A 1911 man I may be, but I also have a Glock 27 and a Glock 30, and I have no complaints.
      'If the grass is greener on the other side, water your OWN lawn.'

Comment

What Kentuckian said.
        If you stare into the abyss long enough,sometimes it stares back.

Comment

Thanks for the info! This is good to hear, since I've been looking at possibly getting a Glock in the near future.

Comment

Glocks...

That's a tough one. Sorta like Ford vs Chevy. I carry a Sig 229 as a duty weapon, and love it. A two week firearms instructor class made me even a bigger believer in my Sig. I carry a G27 as a backup. Glocks are tough, reliable, and easy to maintain. I also own a G22, and a G17. I shoot the 229 the best of these four guns. My favorite pistol is my HP Practical, but not as a duty weapon. Another factor may be cost. Comparable models usually find the Sigs costing $150-200 dollars more...

Comment

I have found over the years that when it comes to Glock you either love them or you hate them. It spurs debates that to me sound alot like "taste great" or "less filling" . I have owned a Glock 19 for 10 years and feel it is one of the best handguns I have ever shot. I think Glock is a good weapon for law enforcement because of its simplicity and low maintenance. Fortunately for those who don't like Glock there are sigs, H&K's and Berettas. To each his own.

Comment

We used to carry S&W's. I had a personally owned 4516 that I really liked and then our agency went to Glock 17's. Man, I was ****ed off about that. I didn't want to give up my .45 for a 9 mm, and I was so used to operating my S&W that it was like second nature. But when I shot that Glock, and saw how accurate it was, and then I cleaned it and saw how easy it was to maintain, I became a believer.

Comment

You left my position off your poll: I don't care for them, and would not willingly carry one, but if you like them, carry them.

They have taken over the police market for a few reasons:
                  1. They are inexpensive (Choices are frequently made by bean counters)

2. The operating system is similar to a revolver (point & pull)

3. They have a great advertising program
                  Last edited by Sleuth; 09-12-2003, 11:49 AM.
                  "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                  John Stuart Mill

Comment

I've repeatedly tried to "befriend" the GLOCK to no avail. I'm a female L.E.O. and extremely glad that these weren't our Duty weapons. This weekend at a Gun Show I tried to "endear" myself to a GLOCK 26. I need a new gun that's more concealable off duty than my Beretta 92D & Sig P226! I LOVE these two work horses but I definitely need a more "petite" companion for after hours -- Gym Work Outs - Bicycling - Parties - Etc!

I'm a Lifetime N.R.A. Member who is active competatively. I also belong to other competative groups.I believe in giving any potential weapon a chance. The most important aspect of a Firearm for me is -- F*I*T* -- I learned early than a gun should "fit" comfortably in your hand -- like a "marriage" between Palm & Weapon! This is essential to mastering the piece.

I've fired many different GLOCKS and especially the G26 -- it just didn't suit me! I've many colleagues who "mastered" this weapon. My hat's off to them! I really don't "knock" anyones selection of gun - vehicle - etc., it's just that GLOCK just isn't my style!

Comment

Thanks again for the info, I appreciate everyone sharing their opinions on this.

Comment

I like Glocks alot, especially the 30, it fits perfectly in my hand and I love the hi capacity in the small package. My department issues P220s and I also have no complaint with those either, they aren't quite as sexy as a Glock in my opinion from a standpoint of asthetics anyway.

InvisibleCop: I definitely need a "petite" companion for after hours -- Gym Work Outs - Bicycling - Parties - Etc!.......let me know how that search goes for ya, and if you have any luck, I've been looking for the same, all the "petite companions" I've run into have a hell of a recoil to them...
                        I'm not power hungry, hell I got all the power I need: Horsepower, Candlepower, Brainpower, and FIREPOWER!

Comment

Razor5267 :
                          You've got a Great Sense of Humor! I Love it! LOL! I'm a female L.E.O. -- I wanted to indicate that aspect - my choice of words may've been comical. Love it though!

Comment

I've been shooting for about 40 years or so. I'm not a "natural" with handguns. I've never really enjoyed shooting them; I'm a rifleman myself.

That being said, I found out, much to my dismay, that my PD wouldn't issue me a rifle and I had to carry a pistol.

I have shot many handguns over the years, running the gamut from revolvers to semi-autos. When I was hired by my PD, the issue weapon was a Glock 19. I hated it; I didn't trust it; I thought it was a piece of crap. After about a year, I found I liked it. We carry 23s now, and I think it's a decent weapon. Of course, I had to get reaccustomed to it and spent about a year b*tching that they took away our 19s.

I have shot some of the other pistols used by LE, but most of my rounds downrange have been with the Glock. As much as I like it now, I'm sure there are better ones out there. But a person can usually get some level of proficency with a weapon if they shoot it enough. And since I don't have a brand/model that I shoot all that much better, I gotta say the Glock is a decent weapon.
                            "All the people like us are we,
                            And everyone else is They"

Comment

Most over rated gun on the market. But then again no gun can live up the hype Glock has worked so hard for.

The 9mm is a good gun, no better or no worse than several other makes.

The .40 make a great light carry gun. Just don't shoot it a lot if you don't want to have to keep replacing it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2370 users online. 145 members and 2225 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X