Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone carry personal rifle/shotguns?

Does anyone carry them?

we don't have enough ARs to issue out to everyone, so we will (very soon) be allowed to carry our personally owned ARs. it's nice because I can carry any AR (I have a PWS MK114, excellent rifle)

but the drawback is, if you get into a shooting, the county will do the investigation, and take your rifle as evidence. and you might not see it until case is closed. which can possibly be a long time.

so I've been debating..... I guess I would want to have it, and let them confiscate it if it ended up saving my life, but it would still suck to give up my PWS mk114 lol.

thoughts?

I have my personal rifle and pistol. I lost my P220 for several months while the State did the investigation, I got it back and it is with me today.

Comment

Not an issue for my agency, as it is flat out prohibited by policy.....which isn't likely to change anytime soon.

That being said, I used my personally owned pistol in my last OIS....got it back less than a week later from the crime lab....even cleaned and oiled it for me.
      The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
        Not an issue for my agency, as it is flat out prohibited by policy.....which isn't likely to change anytime soon.

That being said, I used my personally owned pistol in my last OIS....got it back less than a week later from the crime lab....even cleaned and oiled it for me.

you know, my buddy that got in a shooting in miami dade had to give up his sig p226 elite (very nice pistol) he had it back within a month....

but apparently the county i'm within can take year + before you get it back, and it won't be handled any diff than a bad guy's weapon.

perhaps, it's all BS. no idea. they are issued the rifles and all, so it doesn't really matter for them. apparently if you have to use your issued pistol, they will take that one and just give you a new one, and you'll never see your old one again lol

It's just hard to believe for me. but I wouldn't know....

Comment

I would rather lose my rifle for a few months then lose my life forever.
          Originally posted by Ceridwen
          Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

We can carry personal rifles and shotguns, as per an approved list.

I used to carry a personal shotgun, but once I went inside and no longer had a rack in my car I went to a dept. issued one. I've never carried my own rifle. I really like my issued dept rifle, and I'm too cheap to spend the money to get one of my own of similar quality.
            I miss you, Dave.
            http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by 11B250 View Post
              Does anyone carry them?

we don't have enough ARs to issue out to everyone, so we will (very soon) be allowed to carry our personally owned ARs. it's nice because I can carry any AR (I have a PWS MK114, excellent rifle)

but the drawback is, if you get into a shooting, the county will do the investigation, and take your rifle as evidence. and you might not see it until case is closed. which can possibly be a long time.

so I've been debating..... I guess I would want to have it, and let them confiscate it if it ended up saving my life, but it would still suck to give up my PWS mk114 lol.

thoughts?
              They won’t “confiscate” it but rather take it into evidence as part of standard investigative protocols. It would matter not if it were an issued or personal firearm. Lacking an issued patrol rifle should be the motivator to get and qualify with one; the potential temporary loss should not even come into the equation.
              Originally posted by SSD
              It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
              Originally posted by Iowa #1603
              And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

I carry my own shotgun. Rem 870 with a couple mods on it.
                "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who wish us harm." ---George Orwell

Comment

I use a personal pistol, shotgun an rifle. We do all our investigations in house so it would only be a week or two before I got any of the listed back. I also have 2 other pistols i'm qualified on so it wouldn't be that big of a deal to have one at the lab
                  In Valor there is hope

Comment

I don't believe in the community rifle thing. Too many unknows if and when you have to deploy and use it in an OIS. Have your rifle set and sighted in for you!
                    Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Comment

I dont carry mine yet, because I havent had the class yet. That being said, when I can, I will. I own my Glock as well. I figure if I have to use it, I can live without it for the time it takes to get it back. If it is the glock that gets used, I will just get another one from the armorer until I get mine back. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Comment

We can have personally owned rifles and shotguns (Shotgun is new) but I only carry my own rifle. If the department takes it they'll end up giving it back or buying me a new one.

Comment

I would hope to see more agencies going towards this...especially with all this crap going on, I personally believe LEO's are FAR outgunned in today's environment. As for my agency, I was issued a duty weapon and the shotgun (Rem 870) stays in the rack, no personal weapons are authorized, and we do not have rifles.

For you guys that are carrying your own rifles, is there a restriction on the caliber choice? I think personally, I'd grab a 300BLK.

Comment

Originally posted by polizei1 View Post
                            I would hope to see more agencies going towards this...especially with all this crap going on, I personally believe LEO's are FAR outgunned in today's environment. As for my agency, I was issued a duty weapon and the shotgun (Rem 870) stays in the rack, no personal weapons are authorized, and we do not have rifles.

For you guys that are carrying your own rifles, is there a restriction on the caliber choice? I think personally, I'd grab a 300BLK.
                            Ya, it has to be 5.56/.223 in AR platform
                            In Valor there is hope

Comment

At our department we don't take officers' guns from them if they've been in a shooting. The gun is photographically documented at the scene. The officer then comes down to the ballistics lab where the gun is test fired by a ballistics examiner. He immediately returns the weapon to the officer along with replacing any spent duty rounds.

Regarding the 300BLK round, most departments seem to want to stick with .223/5.56 chambering. I know that is the only approved round for us (with the exception of Tact Team snipers of course).
                              Anything worth shooting is worth shooting 3 or 4 times.

M-11

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4501 users online. 263 members and 4238 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X