Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What patrol rifle round does your agency use?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What patrol rifle round does your agency use?

This will be for the .223 Remington round. We are a small department and I'm trying to get feedback on a good round(s).

The Chief is considering implementing patrol rifles. (personally owned)

If this is not a public topic to openly post, please feel free to PM me.

Thanks
    Ask them, Tell them, Make them.

Federal tactical t3 bonded 62g
    In Valor there is hope

Comment

Remington 55 grain SP. It has worked well for us for years.

Comment

Hornady TAP 55 JHP

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU74 View Post
          Federal tactical t3 bonded 62g
          ^^^^^^This is a really good round^^^^^^.
          I also carry Hornady V-Max in the 55 g.

Last edited by slamdunc; 11-17-2012, 11:11 AM.
          Extraordinarily Ordinary & Remarkably Unremarkable!

"I bet you have an "Operator" patch on your gear"--CCCSD
          "Everyone has a purpose in life. Some people's purpose is to be the example of what NOT to do..."--tanksoldier

Comment

Does the 55g group the same as the 62g at say, 100 yards? May sound like a stupid question, but if im spending dinero on 55g to true it in, I would like to know from experience if both produce almost equal results. Thanks folks!

Comment

Hornaday TAP 62 grain. We use the 62 grain because it is the closest to the FMJ rounds we practice with and have our sights set with.
              We don't "LOL" here. This isn't facebook or some text message between BFF's who are all OMG WTFJH and DYST? We type and speak as adults. Fix yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by FiVo3 View Post
                Does the 55g group the same as the 62g at say, 100 yards? May sound like a stupid question, but if im spending dinero on 55g to true it in, I would like to know from experience if both produce almost equal results. Thanks folks!
                Depends on the twist rate of the rifle you're shooting it out of... Higher twist rates do better with lighter bullets. Is true it in the same as zero? We zero with our duty ammo and train with xm193 (55g). Groups well enough inside of 50 yds.
                In Valor there is hope

Comment

Depends on the twist rate of the rifle you're shooting it out of... Higher twist rates do better with lighter bullets. Is true it in the same as zero? We zero with our duty ammo and train with xm193 (55g). Groups well enough inside of 50 yds.
                  Yes. True in=zero. I've never been in military, so the terms I am used to may differ.

By the way, I have a S&W M&P15 with 1/8 twist, 20in. barrel. Im expecting a maximum effective rage of 100 yards in our jurisdiction, although I know the .223 round is capable of much more. Our qualifying course of fire is a maximum of 100 yds. Our department has had a "no rifles" SOP since its existence. The Chief is very pro-rifle and is most likely going to change our SOP, only after we experiment with the following:
                  -accuracy/reliability/cost
                  -benefit to the community (what the town council expects or is concerned about)
                  -benefit to neighboring agencies during mutual aid requests
                  -benefit of the officers that carry a rifle
                  -other things to consider

Will the SOP change soon? No. But we have to take baby steps before we can fully run with it.

I know that since the .223 is a small diameter round, projectile weight could potentially factor in with accuracy. I appreciate all the information given so far!

Comment

The Chief is very pro-rifle and is most likely going to change our SOP, only after we experiment with the following:
                    -accuracy/reliability/cost
                    -benefit to the community (what the town council expects or is concerned about)
                    -benefit to neighboring agencies during mutual aid requests
                    -benefit of the officers that carry a rifle
                    -other things to consider

Will the SOP change soon? No. But we have to take baby steps before we can fully run with it.
                    If a chief wants all those answered before he lets you have them, I probably wouldn't get my hopes up..

Comment

1/8 does well with both 55g/62g. The reason I only mention those weights is the surplus military ammo that most pd's use to train come in those (xm193:m855). I have a 1/7 that does better with 62g. My advice would be to shoot both and see what does better in your rifle. Our qual course max's at 100 yds as well. You won't see anything noticeable as far as accuracy inside of 50. Mine only acts up with 55g at 75+. It's not the sport model right?
                      Last edited by SCSU74; 11-18-2012, 04:30 PM.
                      In Valor there is hope

Comment

1/8 does well with both 55g/62g. The reason I only mention those weights is the surplus military ammo that most pd's use to train come in those (xm193:m855). I have a 1/7 that does better with 62g. My advice would be to shoot both and see what does better in your rifle. Our qual course max's at 100 yds as well. You won't see anything noticeable as far as accuracy inside of 50. Mine only acts up with 55g at 75+. It's not the sport model right?
                        Yes, it is the sport model, I zeroed the scope in today at 25 yards. I was putting three rounds in the same hole. I still need to work on it a bit to get it dead center at 100 yards. There was quite a bit of a cross wind today so I know it will be easier to get MOA to sub-MOA at 100 yards.

Comment

I'd be careful with that model if you don't upgrade it to at least have a dust cover. That is a bare bones rifle the I would be hesitant to carry on duty
                          In Valor there is hope

Comment

The best loads to use, by my own interpretation based on order of consistency and capability (supported by FBI Ballistic Research data on-hand) would be as follows:

Federal Tactical Bonded JSP 55gr or 62gr (LE223T1/T3, XM556FBIT3)
                            Federal Tactical TRU 55gr Sierra Game King BTHP (LE223E)
                            Federal Tactical TRU 55gr Nosler Ballistic Tip (LE223F)
                            Federal Tactical TRU 64gr Hi-Shok SP (LE223L)
                            Speer Gold Dot 55gr or 64gr JSP
                            Hornady 62gr TAP Barrier JSP
                            Winchester Bonded 64gr Solid Base JSP (Q3313/RA556B)
                            Remington Premier Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded (CLUB) 62gr PSP
                            Black Hills Ammunition 50gr TSX (Proprietary bullet design by Barnes for Black Hills)
                            ASYM 70gr TSX
                            Any other Copper Solid HP bullet (Barnes TSX, CorBon DPX [which is a TSX])
                            Any 75gr or 77gr BTHP/OTM

The Federal Tactical 62gr Bonded JSP XM556FBIT3 is an actual 5.56mm spec cartridge, as opposed to the LE223T1 & T3 loads, which are .223 spec. The 5.56 is higher pressure with better performance, and was chosen as the FBI load. All three Federal Tactical Bonded loads are phenomenal, though.
                            The Black Hills 50gr TSX is also a 5.56 spec, as is the SSA 64gr. You can also get 77gr BTHP loads in 5.56 from Black Hills, SSA and other companies.

I personally do not like Urban loads, but the above-mentioned Federal Tactical TRU is by far the best stuff on the market in that arena. The other TRU loads are not optimal, and neither are any of the Hornady TAP Urban loads.
                            "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
                            -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

Yes, it is the sport model, I zeroed the scope in today at 25 yards. I was putting three rounds in the same hole. I still need to work on it a bit to get it dead center at 100 yards. There was quite a bit of a cross wind today so I know it will be easier to get MOA to sub-MOA at 100 yards.
                              For the intended purpose of most patrol rifle's out there you will likely be better served picking a high quality, well constructed round even if it groups 2.5 MOA than a lightly constructed gopher killer that shoots .5 MOA. Fortunatly the AR-15 is a very accurate platform and most of the high quality LE loads will group just fine as long as you don't get crazy mismatched rates of twist vs. projectile weights.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6446 users online. 289 members and 6157 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X