300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Thoughts on a .22LR Self-Defense Handgun

I have a G22 (.40) for carrying right now but damn, she's a beast. Real big, not easy to conceal. I am thinking about getting a cheaper and tiny .22LR handgun to carry instead. I'm not a ballistics expert but I know a .22 shot would hurt. But would it provide enough stopping power to stop/deter a ****ed off attacker(s)? Am I better off spending a little more money and get something like a .38? I am also thinking that more often than not, the mere presence of a gun is deterrent enough to stop an attack, which would disregard caliber. I am a poor college kid at the moment so price is an issue, but I only buy the best. If I need to spend a bit more I can wait a bit longer to get it. Thoughts are appreciated.
    Pursuing the dream.

Awaiting the start of Academy... April 28th.

If you only buy the best, then do so. A .22 LR can stop a threat, but if it is a good choice, why aren't the police, military, a ccw folks all carrying them? Ammo is cheap and you can carry hundreds of rounds around quite easily.

Do yourself a favor and get a 9mm. They are found in all sizes and shapes and the ammo is plentiful as sell as cheaper than the 40. OR, start reloading 40 ammo. That's cheaper yet.

A .22 can kill. But is it a proven man-stopper? The mere presance of a gun can deter. How many plastic toy guns look real ? A lot. No one will suggest you carry one around with you.
    Last edited by KenW.; 10-01-2012, 12:59 PM.
    I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Originally posted by jjbledsoe View Post
      I have a G22 (.40) for carrying right now but damn, she's a beast. Real big, not easy to conceal. I am thinking about getting a cheaper and tiny .22LR handgun to carry instead. I'm not a ballistics expert but I know a .22 shot would hurt. But would it provide enough stopping power to stop/deter a ****ed off attacker(s)? Am I better off spending a little more money and get something like a .38? I am also thinking that more often than not, the mere presence of a gun is deterrent enough to stop an attack, which would disregard caliber. I am a poor college kid at the moment so price is an issue, but I only buy the best. If I need to spend a bit more I can wait a bit longer to get it. Thoughts are appreciated.
      Lose that thought process immediately....

You do not point a weapon at anything unless you are willing to destroy it, and you better have already made the decision that you can pull the trigger without hesitation when needed.

Most of the 'bad guys' out there are NOT impressed with you (or anyone else) carrying a firearm...they have seen their buddies shot and survive over and over.

Even a .40 is not always going to stop a motivated attacker without proper shot placement, a .22 can be lethal, but I would never depend on one as my off duty weapon. I would not even depend on one for a BUG, or a second BUG.
      The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

This is a hotly debated subject with equally divisive positions on each end of the position.

I would fist point out that a firearm carried for self defense should be displayed and used only as a last resort; after all lesser means have been attempted and failed. That said, your statement
        I am also thinking that more often than not, the mere presence of a gun is deterrent enough to stop an attack
        should be promptly removed from your thinking and any future discussion points.

The fact of the matter is that deadly force is employed to stop a threat. When you bring smaller caliber rounds to the evaluation table, you must consider the fact that some will hold that center mass shots with a .22 cal may not achieve knockdown on a single or subsequent shot. This is not to say that a .22 is not a lethal round, far from it, but that in defensive shooting you want to attain the greatest effect in the shortest amount of time. Having to engage with multiple follow-up shots is something you can avoid with an adequately sized round.

From my perspective and take, the lowest caliber I would recommend is a .380. Mind you this is my opinion and other may well have cogent arguments to the contrary. I would add that there may well be occasion where a .22, 25 or similarly chambered firearm is all you can apply given circumstances. With that, regardless of your final choice, ensure you practice, practice and practice some more. Find a suitable and secure concealment method and practice from that platform.
        Originally posted by SSD
        It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
        Originally posted by Iowa #1603
        And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

I am also thinking that more often than not, the mere presence of a gun is deterrent enough to stop an attack, which would disregard caliber.
          Cool. Save yourself a lot of money and buy an airsoft that resembles the gun of your choice. The presence will be the same, and its a lot cheaper.

If you actually want a gun for self defense, get one with that in mind. A .22 is a step up from a short sharp stick, but probably a step down from a decent knife. With modern alloys and polymers there is absolutely no reason to carry anything smaller than a 9mm. They are lighter and thinner than .380s, .32s, .25s, and .22s of that not to distant past.

If you already have a Glock 22, look for a Glock 27. Smaller, more concealable, but will accept the mags you already have as spares AND you only have one caliber to stock for. You are used to the manual of arms, trigger feel, etc.
          I miss you, Dave.
          http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

IMO a .22 is only good for rabbit hunting and plinking.

I have two .22's and i love them, However I would only trust them in a self defense situation if its a last resort.

Comment

What is your life worth?!?!?! What is the lives of those around you worth?!?!?!?!? 22 ammo has come a long way BUT, it is still unreliable. I have had misfires on different kinds of ammo. To date I have not, that I can remember, ever had a misfire on a center fire round. I an not one to Poo Poo any one particular round for defense. Ammo has come a long way in the last 10 years. A good .25 cal round could be all you need. Don't sell yourself short. If you can, go out and get a good stopper. The S&W Shield is currently available in 9mm and soon if not already 40. You can get good small revolvers in 38, 357, or 45 as well as several others. One is the 327. Similar to the 357. The only round I would not recommend unless absolutely necessary and you have nothing else. If you do use a 22cal make sure it is a frickin heavy one so if it misfires or jams you can throw it and knock them out. I would rather carry a Derringer with 45/410 and 2 rounds of 410 loaded with buckshot.

AT THE VERY LEAST, spend the money to get a good concealable holster for what you already have. Break out the credit card and get a good BUG. If you want to make news then go for the 22 so we can read about you in the general questions area.
              Last edited by IAM Rand; 10-03-2012, 10:11 AM.

Comment

When I need a tiny gun I carry the Keltec P32 with 10rnd magazine and spare 10rnd magazine. I would not use a .22lr for something bigger than a cat or bunny or skunk. The 32 is quite weak but has good penetration, I like having 10 shots of smooth shooting vs 6 shots of 380 in something like a Ruger LCP that is quite hard to hit with. There are plenty of smallish carry 9mm guns, the practice ammo cost for these will be less than the 380 if wallet is smallish.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I've heard BUG from some of you, what's that mean? Your answers have definitely made me decide against a .22 for self defense. Please realize that I do have a SuperTuck holster for my G22 and I carry it often, it's what I currently use for carrying concealed. It's just huge, so I was wondering if there was a good cheap alternative in the .22 arena and it definitely sounds like a resounding "heck no".

I will probably just end up saving my money then and getting the compact version of Glock's .40 caliber. It just kind of irritates me that the compact is the same or higher price as the full size when you are paying for less metal and polymer I also like your suggestion Hineline, that seems like an affordable tiny little gun at around $275 I'm seeing.
                  Last edited by jjbledsoe; 10-01-2012, 05:43 PM.
                  Pursuing the dream.

Awaiting the start of Academy... April 28th.

Comment

BUG = BackUp Gun.
                    I miss you, Dave.
                    http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

I really do not have any sympathy for anyone that cant hide a compact gun. I carry a XDm 4.5in with a taclight most of the time offduty. I am able to conceal it well with a pancake holster. I will carry my LCP if i have to tuck in my shirt or am just doing a quick trip to the store.

Comment

Glock 27, in the waist band , ankle or pocket holster. I carry either a Glock 26, Ruger LCR 38 or S&W Airweight 38 in a pocket holster as my BUG. The Glock 27 will be a bit heavy as is the 26 for pocket carry but works in my 5.11's. On another note as others have said guns are not for looks or intimidation they are tools or destruction, don't forget that. Good luck.

Comment

Can I interest you in a Nerf gun instead of a .22LR?
                          Good choice abandoning that idea. A good single stack compact 9mm is a great option for concealment.
                          "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
                          -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

About the only time I would recommend a .22 as a self-defense weapon would be for someone who can't tolerate any recoil at all - usually for a medical reason. Otherwise, all the other posts are spot-on.

I have a Walther PPS .40 that I carry off-duty. It's a single-stack magazine and holds 6-8 rounds (depending on which magazine you use). It virtually disappears anywhere on the body and is even smaller than a G27. I can even pocket-carry it with certain garments.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by GreenLine; 10-02-2012, 08:38 PM.
                            "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margaret's not coming?"

Comment

I have seen a groundhog take a head shot with a 22 and still crawl 10 yards back into it's hole. Just saying

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10425 users online. 481 members and 9944 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X