300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on guns.

Currently attending school for LE and I am licensed in permit to carry.
    I am looking for my first gun for practice range shooting as well as possible home protection. Something that is similar to a LE issued pistol.

Is there any advice?

Been looking at these 5 guns so far:

Glock 38, Glock 23, Glock 21, Sig 250 or Springfield XD 40.

Any information will help. I'm new to buying guns.
    Last edited by Jordanlis23; 06-26-2012, 03:29 PM.

Shoot then and see what you like better. Different guns work better for different people.
    Making the streets safer, one donut at a time

Comment

Thats what i am on doing, but there are soo many out there. I doubt i'd be able to shoot all of them and say, "yes, this is the one" out of 1000s...

i want to atleast have a narrow idea of how many and which to take a look at.
      I've never been to a gun range/store, so they allow you to shoot different guns before purchasing one similar style?

Sorry im a newb.

Comment

In your situation I would purchase a glock. If cost is not a concern I'd also consider H&K. XD is not a bad choice. I'd stay away from the sig 250 though. I've heard of problems with the 250 in the past and sig in general has been going down hill over the years in their quality control. My money would go with a glock.

Comment

Glock 38 45GAP that cartridge is going no where.
          Glock 23 same gun as a 9mm but with 50% more ammunition costs, can you afford to practice

Sig 250 low end model trying to get guns into departments with not much money functional gun

Glock 21 are your hands that big, again cost, can you afford to practice with $25-$30 a box ammo

Springfield XD 40 again ammo cost close to double that of 9mm, popular gun with competition, not so much for duty use, not sure why I suspect Springfield is not giving them away to police to generate citizen sales.

Glock lost me when they molded in the finger grooves on the front strap of the frames, large fat fingers do not fit. They have plenty recalls on Gen 4 guns I would buy no later than Gen 2 or Gen 3 if the finger grooves fit you. Glocks function and lots of cheap accy. You can always step up from a Glock to something you like better and get a good percentage of your funds back. People always want Glocks.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmg View Post
            Shoot then and see what you like better. Different guns work better for different people.
            +1 With the exception of the Sig 250, I am familiar with all the rest and any of them would be fine if you are comfortable with it and shoot it well.

Extraordinarily Ordinary & Remarkably Unremarkable!

"I bet you have an "Operator" patch on your gear"--CCCSD
            "Everyone has a purpose in life. Some people's purpose is to be the example of what NOT to do..."--tanksoldier

Comment

I'd say stay away from the double action only pistols, I'm not a fan. If you want a sig, go with the 226 or 229. If your just starting 9mm will be cheaper and you can still use it as a home defense with some +p hollow points. I prefer the .40 or .45 for defense. For just straight range shooting, 9mm or .22.

Get what you like, dont go cheap, and get what works for your needs. There are so many choices out there. I will say stay away from taurus and a SW Sigma. I will let you make up your mind about ruger, but im not a fan.
              "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who wish us harm." ---George Orwell

Comment

===========================
                Last edited by tp2020; 03-24-2016, 02:46 PM.

Comment

glock 19. concealable, soft shooting and cheap to shoot.

Comment

Meh, i would personally wait and see where you end up working. Doesn't make much sense to practice with X if you are only allowed to carry Y. Most depts now usually carry either Sig, Glock, or M&P. If you really want to buy a gun I would say w/ one of those.. As far as caliber it really depends what you like and the availability of ammo where you live. My PD gives us free ammo every month so the price point is moot. I carry a .45 because i like putting big holes as opposed to little holes in whatever i am shooting. Pick a few models and go try em out
                    In Valor there is hope

Comment

Unless you are sure your going to get hired anytime soon I'd buy one.

I'd go to the range and shoot a few. I'd get a 9mm since practice ammo will be cheap. The .40 has a very snappy recoil and isn't better than the .45.

If you do get hired and get a choice of caliber I'd go with the .45. I'd get the Springfield XD in 9mm for right now if I was you though.

Comment

I don't have anything to add from what the others have stated other than be sure to get some good training with whichever pistol you get.

Any big name pistol should be fine but it will boil down to what you like, not what others like.

Comment

Originally posted by tp2020 View Post
                          I have carried my SIG p229 literally all over the world with over 150,000 rounds and never a single malfunction
                          Awesome reliability there. How long have you had the Sig?

Extraordinarily Ordinary & Remarkably Unremarkable!

"I bet you have an "Operator" patch on your gear"--CCCSD
                          "Everyone has a purpose in life. Some people's purpose is to be the example of what NOT to do..."--tanksoldier

Comment

How do you go to school for LE?

As others have said, if possible, rent several different guns and see what one you like best. Unless you are issued a gun, selecting a firearm is a very personal choice. I love Glocks while others hate them.

Comment

I'm from MN.

Metro state offers a BS in law enforcement if you are not already a hired sworn officer.
                              They also have classes for those who are officers and want more schooling as well.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6198 users online. 305 members and 5893 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X