300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the revolver dead for duty carry?

I have seen many posts about individuals asking for recommendations on duty carry weapons. All of the replies were for them to get one of many semi-auto pistols available on the market. Most of my career I have carried a semi-auto: Ruger P94(my bad. before I knew better), Springfield 1911A1(wish I still had it), Glock 22 and 27(good guns/no problems other that the full size didn't always work in the compact), and last but not least the full and compact M&P40(still have and still use).

I am now currently packing the S&W 627 in 2 5/8 .357. I have been able to qualify with it and can even reload it as fast if not faster than co-workers with a semi-auto thanks to the wonderful invention of moon clips. I have 8 ready to go with another 16 on my hip. For those of you that swear by the 1911, I am on par with you ammo wise unless you have an 8 round mag with 1 in the pipe so I don’t believe capacity should be an issue.

I understand why some agencies use the standard of everyone carries the same gun. Training, ammo, and liability are all factors in the decision to go with a single weapon.
    If an agency allows the "Free" choice of giving the officer to choice to pick what he/she wants to carry within a certain standard of maker and caliber; should the officer be allowed to carry a revolver? I am mostly driving a desk but, I do get out from behind it every now and then to do work in the big scary world.

My questions are: Do high cap magazines lead officers to spray and pray too much?

Are there that many Officer involved shootings were more than 6 shots are sent toward the bad guy and if more than 6 were used was it necessary? (Not to slam my NY brothers but, all too often the media will plaster shootings in New York City were multiple officers will empty there weapons on some poor hapless schmo. I would consider this a rarity) Most of the shootings I have investigated or read about the officer has used less than 6 shots.

Would a revolver give the officers a mental limit where they may concentrate on each individual shot and “Make it count?”

I am very confident in my ability to use the revolver and believe that I am capable of defending myself and/or the public should the need arise. Should more agencies look at the revolver as a duty weapon?
    Stupid has no color or race, everyone can participate.

Remember the Remington 1858 New Army (.44) revolver with removable cylinder that Clint Eastwood used in the movie "Pale Rider"?

The cylinder change wasn't as fast as a moon clip or a speedloader or a mag change on a semiauto.

I still like wheel guns.
    Last edited by Monty Ealerman; 05-17-2012, 12:19 PM.

Comment

That would be funny to carry for a shift or 2.

Comment

As a primary gun, I think the revolver has conceded to the semi-auto. For back-up guns, the revolver is frickin' great. I carry a 642 as a back up.

Comment

I was surprised to see that the staff at the Clinton Presidential Center in Little Rock were all sporting revolvers. As new, clean, and high tech as the place was I assumed they'd have something different. There were at least five of them on-duty inside the building on a Monday morning.

Comment

Originally posted by ArkansasFan24 View Post
            I was surprised to see that the staff at the Clinton Presidential Center in Little Rock were all sporting revolvers. As new, clean, and high tech as the place was I assumed they'd have something different. There were at least five of them on-duty inside the building on a Monday morning.
            They're federal contractors. That may have been stipulated in the bid for contract.
            NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

I would say yes...or rather inadequate.

Spray and pray.............absolutely not.

Mental limit..make it count. If you have to discharge your weapon...they ALL must be "make it count".

We went from revolvers to semi autos shortly after SFPD James Guelff was shot and killed...he had emptied his revolver.. was reloading when the suspect ran up to him with a fully auto. With a wheel gun...when you're empty you're empty...with a semi...as long as you count..you ALWAYS have one in the chamber when you reload...this making it possible to engage someone who is approaching you with bad things in their mind.

After the LA robbery/shootout...we acquired AR's.....

This idea is totally reactive instead of proactive. The point is to have enough rounds to stop the threat. I rather have left overs than not enough. We went from 18 in our wheel gun to 46 in our semi's.

Again we don't play fair....in this day and age...wheel guns are obsolete..and are NOT an advantage in a gunfight. You want to be one step AHEAD not behind. Think about a gunfight with the peep shooting a Mac 10 or MP5 against your wheel gun. I don't care if you shoot a perfect 300 at the range....you are outgunned from the start.
              Last edited by deputy x 2; 05-17-2012, 03:51 PM.
              This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

I carry a revolver quite a bit off duty. I have a love for wheelguns that will never go away, but on duty it is the "bottom feeder" for me. Of course, if the semi auto malfunctions during that critical time it just may mean the difference between winning, and losing. Up close in a struggle, the revolver is the gun to have if you have to do a contact shot. My back up is a 38 cal snub nosed revolver, and I will not be trading that in for any compact semi auto.

Having said all this, I do not like the 40 cal Glock that I "have" to carry at work. I would rather have the 9mm, or the 45 acp.

Comment

^^^^ I loved the little guns too..have a Model 60, 36 Chief Special and a 37 Airweight special. All sitting collecting dust. Can't part with them. But..............I did upgrade to a Sig P239.....
                  This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

I am carrying the 627, X8 as well. The .357 is a proven round and I am carrying the Corbon DPX 130 gr. I understand Deputy x2's point about always having 1 in the pipe but, how many Miami style shoot outs do we have now days. It just not put on the news anymore about hi cap weapons like the MAC10 being used. If you are up against just about any rifle your are outgunned anyway, semi-auto or pistol you are still hosed and had better hope that you are carrying a patrol rifle. I have been able to reload quickly but, that was the quals at the range and not while some toadstool is trying to put me 6 feet under.

Just trying to do a little CPR on the old gals. I think that they are still in the main stream if you get one of the new ones.

Comment

In answer to your question. The revolver for duty carry is dead and buried. May it rest in peace!

Comment

I guess you would have to look at a lot of Officer involved shootings where they fired more then 8 rounds, and take a hard look to see if the rounds they fired accomplished anything. Whether ANY handgun would have been sufficient to save this Officers life is a good question. Did he actually hit the guy with his shots(one account says he hit him several times) ? The second guy in the scene fired 17 shots and hit the guy with 7 (that were defeated by the body armor) that's pretty good shooting under fire there. With the OP's revolver the Officer would have had 2 more shots, and the second guy on the scene probably 24 not 18 rounds.

Also I would not have expected in in the 90's but some departments used 357 revolvers loaded with 38 special for normal duty use (Toledo, OH did that with 586 S&W's at one time).

Officer James Guelff succumbed to gunshot wounds sustained the previous day when he was shot by a carjacking suspect.

The suspect had carjacked a vehicle in Mountain View and drove to San Francisco where he pushed out the car's owner

The suspect then drove to Pine Street where he double parked the vehicle. The man opened fire on Officer Guelff with a semi-automatic rifle as the officer approached the vehicle. Officer Guelff emptied his service weapon at the suspect, and was reloading when he was shot again.

The suspect was wearing a ballistic helmet, a flack jacket, and carrying hundreds of rounds of ammunition. Members of the San Francisco Police Department SWAT Team shot and killed the suspect, but not before another officer, a paramedic, and a civilian were wounded by gunfire from the suspect. Officers found the suspect was also in possession of a police scanner, gunpowder, fuses, and three vials of pain-killer.

Officer Guelff had served with the San Francisco Police Department for 10 years. He is survived by two children.

Read more: Officer James Louis Guelff, San Francisco Police Department, California
                        Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

What's the most rounds you see in a revolver with a big round? The most I've seen in a logical revolver to be holstered on a person is 8 rounds which means not the size of your arm. S&W 627. That's not to say there aren't people who can put more then 18 rounds down range before someone reloads their semi auto.

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor13 View Post
                            What's the most rounds you see in a revolver with a big round? The most I've seen in a logical revolver to be holstered on a person is 8 rounds which means not the size of your arm. S&W 627. That's not to say there aren't people who can put more then 18 rounds down range before someone reloads their semi auto.
                            I suppose in theory the 327 magnum could go what 9-10 rounds ?? And it more or less equals/exceeds some 357 ammo in bullet weight/velocity ?? And might be be able to defeat some body armor with the right bullet design. It will zip a 100 grain bullet to 1874 fps in a 5.5" barrel.

They go 7 rounds in a K frame sized gun (GP100).
                            Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

Originally posted by IAM Rand View Post
                              My questions are: Do high cap magazines lead officers to spray and pray too much?
                              My thought is that anyone who would spray and pray with a 17 round Glock 17 would do the same with a 6 shot S&W revolver. Historically, hamstringing soldiers and/or police officers with guns that force low rates of fire have had DISASTROUS results. Examples would include Little Bighorn, where Custer's men were armed with single shot trap door rifles and they faced an Indian force armed with repeating rifles. The army had refused to issue repeaters believing that soldiers would be less inclined to take accurate shots with fast reloads and an internal magazine available. In the Spanish American war, while the U.S. won, they were WAY outgunned in the personal weapon department as the Spanish were armed with clip-fed Mauser rifles and the U.S. Krag rifles had to be fed one round at a time because, once again, generals worried that quick reloads would lead to spray and pray tactics.

The key is proper training. If someone is taught to be precise with a revolver, he will be precise with a semi-auto.

Okay, all that said, I like revolvers. I PREFER semi-autos, as that is what I'm used to and I shoot them the best. But it's hard to beat the simplicity of a revolver. People talk about the AK-47; no, a REVOLVER is failure proof. Only a couple moving parts, and if one round doesn't go off, no ejection needed. Pull the trigger again and go to the next round.

Also, I did recently see a detective at a PD I applied to carrying a .357 revolver as opposed to the department issued S&W M&P45.
                              "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
                              -Chris Rock

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4888 users online. 320 members and 4568 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X