X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Why I Shoot an M&P"

Hilton Yam via 10-8...

"Glock vs. M&P...or why I shoot an M&P"

Readers of this blog and the 10-8 Performance Facebook page are no strangers to my affection for the M&P. I was one of the earliest adopters of the platform, and was hooked ever since I fired one of the prototypes in the basement of the S&W factory back in 2005 or so. I have also been shooting Glocks since the 90's, and have a number of them in the pile as well, so I can speak with experience on both. With so many compelling empirical arguments in favor of the Glock 17, why am I shooting a M&P 9mm?

For purposes of discussion below, I will be comparing the Glock 17 vs. the M&P 9mm full sized model. If we were comparing the Glock 21 to the M&P 45, then let's just stop here and declare the M&P .45 the winner and move on. Superior ergonomics by far, good accuracy, and availability of thumb safety to help transition 1911 shooters make the M&P 45 the clear winner in my opinion. Add a viable and reliable factory 14 round magazine, and you pretty much have the whole package wrapped up with a bow. Same with .40 - the M&P was designed for the .40, with steel chassis for increased rigidity and none of the durability or function issues of the Glock 22. Oddly, the 9mm was shoehorned into the M&P platform rather than the reverse which is true for Glock, and it is therefore the weakest model of the M&P. So why do I shoot one all the time?

Cont:

10-8 Performance: Glock vs. M&P...or why I shoot an M&P
    - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

And the Springfield XDM is superior to them both. End of story.

lol

Comment

Originally posted by Tmg View Post
      And the Springfield XDM is superior to them both. l
      According to whom? Find me an authority on fighting handguns who would agree with statement.
      - Will

www.OptimalSWAT.com

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

I'm not an "authority", but I say the XD/XDM platform is phenominal. I do not have the wherewithall to go out and compare everything myself, but I'll choose any of my four personally owned XD/XDMs over my agency's issue Glock 22/23.

I've never fired a SW pistol in my life. So I cannot comment on them. I do not need to; I have a system that works very well for me and don't need to change it up.
        I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

seems like you made more of a case for glock? only benefits you listed for the m&p is an optional thumb safety and the mags are easier for you to disassemble. Isnt the APEX an aftermarket trigger as well? for those not coming from a 1911, sees like your choice would be glock reading that article...
          Last edited by SCSU74; 04-20-2012, 05:13 PM.
          In Valor there is hope

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU74 View Post
            seems like you made more of a case for glock? only benefits you listed for the m&p is an optional thumb safety and the mags are easier for you to disassemble. Isnt the APEX an aftermarket trigger as well?
            I didn't write it. Hilton Yam did, a guy who has forgotten more about the fighting handgun in a day then most will ever know. His write up does confirm why I prefer the M&P myself however.
            - Will

www.OptimalSWAT.com

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Originally posted by KenW. View Post
              I'm not an "authority", but I say the XD/XDM platform is phenominal. I do not have the wherewithall to go out and compare everything myself, but I'll choose any of my four personally owned XD/XDMs over my agency's issue Glock 22/23.

I've never fired a SW pistol in my life. So I cannot comment on them. I do not need to; I have a system that works very well for me and don't need to change it up.
              Stating you find the XDM a platform that works for you and stating the "XDM is superior to them both" are worlds apart to be sure. I can say, those I'd consider real authorities on the fighting handgun, Yam, Vickers, Hackathorn, et al do not consider the XDM a fighting pistol, much less in the same league as Glock, M&P, etc.

If it works for you, drive on sir.
              - Will

www.OptimalSWAT.com

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Originally posted by WillBrink View Post
                I didn't write it. Hilton Yam did, a guy who has forgotten more about the fighting handgun in a day then most will ever know. His write up does confirm why I prefer the M&P myself however.
                Oh ok, makes more sense now.
                In Valor there is hope

Comment

Originally posted by WillBrink View Post
                  Stating you find the XDM a platform that works for you and stating the "XDM is superior to them both" are worlds apart to be sure. I can say, those I'd consider real authorities on the fighting handgun, Yam, Vickers, Hackathorn, et al do not consider the XDM a fighting pistol, much less in the same league as Glock, M&P, etc.

If it works for you, drive on sir.
                  I shall, and I'll grin about it too. Did I say it is superior to them both? Your words; not mine. They are simply MY choice. Some people actually like a double action like the SW M&P; I do not, and I don't even care to try it. I am fortunate that my agency permits personal weapons so we are not all required to carry the Glock. If I ever become dissillusioned with my Springfields I can always go back to my 1911s.

BTW: Rob Leatham seems to like the XD platform. Is he an authority, or just another corporate hack? No, actually he is just another competition shooter, not an authority on combat shooting.
                  Last edited by KenW.; 04-21-2012, 08:39 AM.
                  I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

I shall, and I'll grin about it too. Did I say it is superior to them both? Your words; not mine. They are simply MY choice. Some people actually like a double action like the SW M&P; I do not, and I don't even care to try it. I am fortunate that my agency permits personal weapons so we are not all required to carry the Glock. If I ever become dissillusioned with my Springfields I can always go back to my 1911s.
                    Not my words, nor yours, but TMG above which was what I was referring to.
                    Last edited by WillBrink; 04-21-2012, 08:52 AM.
                    - Will

www.OptimalSWAT.com

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

I am not familiar with this "TMG" you make reference to.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

I am not familiar with this "TMG" you make reference to.
                        Post #2 above.
                        - Will

www.OptimalSWAT.com

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Mr. Brink, just what is the deciding factor that the XD is not a "fighting" gun?

It is durable, simple, reliable, effective, and as potent as any other pistol on the market today. It has survived every torture test it has been thrown into. Its not the "Made in Croatia" bigotry is it?

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Mr. Brink, just what is the deciding factor that the XD is not a "fighting" gun?

It is durable, simple, reliable, effective, and as potent as any other pistol on the market today. It has survived every torture test it has been thrown into. Its not the "Made in Croatia" bigotry is it?
                            I don't claim expertise in the design of combat pistols. However, I do pay close attention to those that do, their writings, etc. My understanding is, it does not tend to hold up well under head to head testing, has a number of design features that increase likely hood of failures, and when it does fail, it's catastrophic.

I can look for additional specific details if you wish. My issue was with his declarative statement of the XDM being superior to the Glock or M&P platforms when none of the truly BTDT types would support such a statement.

As I said, that's very different than what you said, which was along the lines of "It works for me"
                            - Will

www.OptimalSWAT.com

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

I think the dislike for the XD is less due to bad action reports and more due to a lot of Glock fanboys who have the idea that the one extra moving part (grip safety) makes it totally unreliable. of course, they say the same thing about EVERY gun: Every gun is jam-prone and not combat or duty worthy because it has parts that the Glock doesn't. Glock nuts were steaming when the Gen4s added changeable back straps because it was still something that could get lost in the field and "Glock was a perfect gun and therefore, there was nothing that COULD be used to make it better...because it was PERFECT!"

That said, having played with all three (Glock, M&P, XD) numerous times, I have to say that the M&P is my favorite. I hope that Smith & Wesson can get some good deals worked out and challenge Glock for the corner on the LE market. It takes the best of Glock's strengths (reliability, ease of maintenance) and improves the weaknesses (ergonomics, trigger comfort). Plus S&W's customer service is second to none and Glock...well, they're of the H&K and post-2004 Sig Sauer mindset: Our guns our perfect, YOU are the problem, no we won't help you.
                              "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
                              -Chris Rock

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4149 users online. 192 members and 3957 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X