Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between Hornady Critical Defense and Critical Duty?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between Hornady Critical Defense and Critical Duty?

Anyone know the difference between Hornady Critical Defense and Critical Duty?

They appear to be the same exact bullet.

Definitely different bullets. The Hornady Critical Defense rounds use their FTX bullet, whereas the Hornady Critical Duty rounds use the FlexLock bullet.

Based on what I'm reading on Hornady's site, the FlexLock bullet in the Critical Duty rounds is meant for improved barrier penetration. It uses a harder lead alloy, a thicker jacket, and what Hornady calls their "InterLock band" that is supposed to improve the bonding between the bullet core and the jacket.

The Critical Defense rounds also have a smaller powder charge, so that they will have less recoil in small, concealable weapons.

Hornady - Critical Dutyâ„¢
    Hornady - Critical DEFENSE®
    Hornady - The difference between Critical DUTY™ & Critical DEFENSE®

I've always had good luck with the Critical Defense ammo for my .357, of course I have never had to shoot a person through a windshield or anything. All I can say is that after shooting the Critical Defense through my 2.5" barrel revolver, I wonder how my wrist would tolerate the full-power Critical Duty loads...
    Fëanor
    Forum Member
    Last edited by Fëanor; 03-26-2012, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HEDP View Post

Anyone know the difference between Hornady Critical Defense and Critical Duty?

They appear to be the same exact bullet.
      Spelling?
      Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

Why do southerners call it Hornaday? That is my only question. Look on YouTube if you don't know what I am talking about.

North = Horn-a-dee
        South = Horn-a-day

Comment

I have watched the same videos so where does the TAP that I bought fall in this whole line ?

Comment

Originally posted by AJLEO View Post
            I have watched the same videos so where does the TAP that I bought fall in this whole line ?
            TAP is an older product that uses XTP bullets. Full power rounds with non-bonded bullets.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3549 users online. 219 members and 3330 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X