Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About to buy a Glock 23, what do the experts say?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About to buy a Glock 23, what do the experts say?

Hello, everyone. Quick background, I'm active duty military, am not LE. Turning 21 in a few days and plan on buying my first firearm and will be applying for a North Carolina concealed carry permit. I'm male, 5'9" and 150 lbs. Maybe just barely smaller than average sized hands.

From the research I have done so far on my own, my top candidate at the moment is the Glock 23. Essentially, what I am asking is for any opinions, either for it or in favor of an alternative. I want to make sure I educate myself as much as possible before I throw down the money. A lot of guys at work have pretty much talked me into a .40, so my question is more just about if you like the Glock 23 for a .40 or if there's some much better alternative that I'm not realizing.

Thanks for your time, everyone. I appreciate it.

You can't go wrong with a Glock in my opinion, but people are different. Rent and shoot a bunch of different guns that match the criteria that you are looking for and make your decision then. You may shoot something a lot better than the Glock.

Comment

Don't let people talk you into a gun before they talk you into training.

Also, before you buy a gun, run through drills with a timer to see what you shoot best.

Get training and information before you buy a gun.

Comment

I am a bit taller and way heavier than you, but I have smallish hands. I bought a gen 3 model 23 and carry it in an IWB holster and it works out very well for me. I personally like the .40, but have seen lots of discussion on the "best" caliber to use, but it all comes down to what YOU are comfortable with. Go to a gun shop and handle several models, see for yourself how they feel in your hand. See if some of those friends will take you to the range with a few different calibers and see for yourself how they feel to fire. What they like may not feel right to you. I like Glock, and the .40 and I don't think you will go wrong with what you are talking about, but you should try them out and make your own choice.
        Air Force Retiree

HCPD Police Officer

Originally posted by 3102
        There is more than one right answer in most things that we do.

Comment

I wouldn't really recommend a .40 S&W for your first handgun, but that is your choice. I would rent one first and see if you like it.

With that said, I think getting a Glock is an outstanding idea for a first handgun. They are simple, rugged, and reliable. Great choice. I would get a 9mm though instead. It's the most affordable pistol caliber to shoot and will have the least recoil between the major calibers. Glock 19 would be a good start.

Comment

Glock 19 > Glock 23

Comment

Love my G19 great gun great price great fun. Very little maintenance needed not saying you shouldn't take care if it but incase you aren't one of those guys who are going to clean it every week.

Comment

If you are looking for something for conceal carry glocks can get a bit bulky, great dependable weapon though. Pretty hard to not have it imprint with shorts and t-shirts. Something to consider there are alot of slim .40 cal. reliable pistols. After all the training, and range time is done if the gun is uncomfortable to conceal or too bulky it will end up in your truck or next to the bed.

Comment

I prefer the 19 over the 23 (their whole 9mm line over the others, actually) , but if you're committed to the .40s&w cartridge, the 23 is a fine choice.

Comment

I have carried a glock 23 for many years. It worked just fine when I used it to defend myself. I have many hand guns but am too superstitious to give up my g23 because of our past.

Comment

19 over the 23 all the way. I dont care for anything chambered in .40. There's absolutely no benefit. Less bullets, snappier recoil... They should both be the same price, I would shoot both and see what feels better for you
                      In Valor there is hope

Comment

May I also throw out the Smith and Wesson M&P line for your consideration. I own an M&Pc in .40 S&W, but don't own a Glock (but have shot a 17), so I can't say that one is better than the other, but just something to consider.

Comment

I've carried a 23 off duty for some time and never had a problem. I usually carry the 23 with an extra 22 mag in an IWB holster. Hard to beat the 19/23 platform for size and firepower.

Comment

I have carried a 23, 17, and a 26. I shoot the 9mm 26 and 17 better than the .40, but not that much better to make a difference. I currently carry the 26 most of the time as I work in plain clothes.

The 23 is not a fun gun to shoot. It has the "snappier" recoil of the .40 caliber and while I could shoot a couple hundred rounds with no adverse accuracy issues, it was not pleasant.

Pros for the 9mm are it is nicer to shoot. Ammo is much cheaper, so you shoot more for the same amount of money. I have a Advantage Arms .22 conversions for the 26 for real cheap shooting.

The key is to get a gun that YOU enjoy shooting. To do this shoot many guns. The 9mm I shoot the best? A Browning High Power with adjustable sights. The only reason I don't carry one now is that sometimes, not often, the HP doesn't function. My Glocks always go bang when the bang switched is pressed.
                            Ut humiliter opinor

Comment

I own most of the 9mm and .40 S&W variants of the Glock and I personally carry my G19 over the G23.
                              The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4740 users online. 288 members and 4452 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X