300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 options

Looking at getting my dad a 1911 for either Fathers Day or for his birthday next year. I have plenty of time to save but I'm wondering what you dads would want for a 1911 from your son so I have an idea of what I'm looking for and the price range. It's going to be engraved and I'm going to get a holster, mag and a mag holder for him too.
    Last edited by Taylor13; 12-24-2011, 02:41 PM.

YOU are a great son!!!! You can get a quality gun from any of the big manufacturers. If I was getting one, I would go with the SA operator or TLE in champion frame. Or if you can find one, a Sig GSR. But those are my preferences. For those guns, your looking at a $950-1300 depending on options.

Comment

For a minute there I thought young Taylor who just got a shotgun was already upgrading to a 1911.
      This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Dang, think I'm gonna adopt Taylor.

My son is always "borrowing" my guns, then "forgetting" he has 'em.

"Yes sir, I know you have rights."
        "In fact, I know your rights better than you do!"

Comment

My dad is the one who got me my first gun, my Mossberg 500 which soon escalated to 4 more long guns. I mean legally it's his, it's locked up and we follow all laws obviously. He's been with me through a lot of ups and downs. I wish it was just as easy to get my mom something nice too. I'll be checking into the Springfields, ParaOrds and the Sigs. I've also got a nice paying job now, and will probably be picking up another job due to how my weird schedule is.

Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

Awwwwhhh Taylor.....you're growing up in front of our eyes!
            This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

That's a heck of a Father's day gift! There are many options as you know by now, I'm a Colt fan myself but my favorite is the Springfield TRP. SA has a stellar reputation if the pistol needs some factory help. If it were me I would keep the customizing to a minimum since it's such a personal thing. Night sights would be a big plus unless it was strictly a range shooter. Rail vs non-rail will be a big decision to make and will determine the holster. Not everyone wants a light on the gun.

If you're getting the slide engraved I think stainless is the way to go, but you might consider custom grips instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor13 View Post
                Looking at getting my dad a 1911 for either Fathers Day or for his birthday next year. I have plenty of time to save but I'm wondering what you dads would want for a 1911 from your son so I have an idea of what I'm looking for and the price range. It's going to be engraved and I'm going to get a holster, mag and a mag holder for him too.
                A very nice idea. First, you have to decide what it is you plan to get him, something classic, or other? Collector grade? Budget? etc, etc.

Stick with brands like Colt, SA, and if going high end, Wilson, Ed Brown, and SA Custom shop stuff. That will keep you out of trouble generally, and will help make sure you get him a 1911 a 1911 shooter would want to own.

Remember, 1911s might look the same to the untrained eye (making one think, "why is X brand twice the price of Y brand, they all seem the same to me") but they are anything but, so limiting the search to known brands of quality for the $$$ can save a lot of hassles.
                - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Originally posted by Lawdawg45
                  Answer some very important questions first. Will this be a range gun or CCW? What barrel length does he want (3, 4, 5), and how tricked out would he want it? A basic model like the SA or Remington R1 is a good place to start, but if he is a seasoned 1911 guy, I'd strongly look at the Kimbers (if your budget allows).

LD
                  I think it'd just be a range gun for him, he might carry it when it gets cold out (if it ever does here in FL) but he has mentioned he wants a 1911 for a range gun, and that he wouldn't carry it much.
                  Originally posted by JasperST View Post
                  That's a heck of a Father's day gift! There are many options as you know by now, I'm a Colt fan myself but my favorite is the Springfield TRP. SA has a stellar reputation if the pistol needs some factory help. If it were me I would keep the customizing to a minimum since it's such a personal thing. Night sights would be a big plus unless it was strictly a range shooter. Rail vs non-rail will be a big decision to make and will determine the holster. Not everyone wants a light on the gun.

If you're getting the slide engraved I think stainless is the way to go, but you might consider custom grips instead.
                  I'm looking at just getting custom grips as it seems like an easier thing to do.

Originally posted by WillBrink View Post
                  A very nice idea. First, you have to decide what it is you plan to get him, something classic, or other? Collector grade? Budget? etc, etc.

Stick with brands like Colt, SA, and if going high end, Wilson, Ed Brown, and SA Custom shop stuff. That will keep you out of trouble generally, and will help make sure you get him a 1911 a 1911 shooter would want to own.

Remember, 1911s might look the same to the untrained eye (making one think, "why is X brand twice the price of Y brand, they all seem the same to me") but they are anything but, so limiting the search to known brands of quality for the $$$ can save a lot of hassles.
                  I'm thinking collector grade 1911 on a sort of budget platform.

Comment

I'm thinking collector grade 1911 on a sort of budget platform.
                    I'm not sure that's possible, but you have not given an actual budget. Collector grade 1911s are expensive, and if you add things like engravings, etc, really expensive. A Wilson Tactical Supergrade, is close to 5k, and that's minus custom stuff like hand engraving, and such:

http://wilsoncombat.com/new/handgun-...supergrade.asp

Best thing to do is, decide on a specific budget, then start looking at best 1911 that fits the budget, and see if you can add a few nice upgrades to it to make it unique, like custom grips and such.

An SA TRP gets high marks for the $$$, and with a few custom adds, a good deal in the 1911 market space.
                    Last edited by WillBrink; 12-25-2011, 06:00 PM.
                    - Will

www.OptimalSWAT.com

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

I've been looking at Wilson Combat but they're a little pricey for me, I'm aiming for something around 1,000 to 1,500.

Last edited by Taylor13; 12-26-2011, 11:02 AM.

Comment

I've been looking at Wilson Combat but they're a little pricey for me, I'm aiming for something around 1,000 to 1,500.

For that $$$, look at Colt and SA. That's going to be your best quality for the $$$ as a rule. SA however has great CS, Colt, not so much, so if you/he has any problems, SA will get it fixed. Look at the Springfield Armory Operator, that's right in that $$$ range and generally gets high marks.

It astounds me that people buy 1911s without looking into the CS of the company, and then shocked when/if they need to send it in for something, and are surprised by the poor service they receive.

Good CS is a factor in purchasing decisions, especially for the 1911, where they can need some love at some point.
                        Last edited by WillBrink; 12-26-2011, 11:26 AM.
                        - Will

www.OptimalSWAT.com

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Aren't some of the Dan Wesson's (CZ) in the $1000-1500 range? Try this one.

Or, just as a thought, get a Springfield Mil Spec and some custom grips and engraving and then have a shadowbox built around it with any awards or decorations, pictures of you and him, etc.

Comment

That sounds like an awesome idea, didn't think about a nice shadow box. I've got some great pictures to put in there too. Thanks Cass.

Comment

I own one of these and have probably 7,000 rounds through it and it still shoots like new.

http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.as...actical+Combat

Right in the middle of your price range, slide is just begging to be engraved, and its got all the 'custom' touches one typically does to a 1911 anyway. I know Colt is "The" 1911, but I've shot both and I prefer the Springfield. You get a lot more for your money, and the adjustable night sights are very good on this model. When I was shooting competition I could pick off GI Joe sized targets at 35m with the factory irons.

The only thing I changed was the grips.
                              I miss you, Dave.
                              http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9345 users online. 198 members and 9147 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X