Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boresnakes and WD40 for Inline Muzzleloader?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boresnakes and WD40 for Inline Muzzleloader?

My brother spoke with a Gander Mountain worker who says he doesn't use water or foams to clean his muzzleloaders. He uses two Boresnakes, WD40 and Bore Butter and says it's much quicker.

He says he uses the first Boresnake with WD40 because it's water based, not petroleum based which could hurt the rifle. After a few runs and that comes out clean he runs the 2nd Boresnake with Bore Butter.

What do you think of that?

Will that work well?

Generally, I do not use WD40 to clean the bore of any firearms due to the fact that it can be act as retardant to propellents.

For my black powder rifle, I use hot soapy water, run through several times and dry it with a rag or paper towel.

Comment

Originally posted by M1garand View Post
      Generally, I do not use WD40 to clean the bore of any firearms due to the fact that it can be act as retardant to propellents.

For my black powder rifle, I use hot soapy water, run through several times and dry it with a rag or paper towel.

You run hot soapy water with a patch and a jag until it's clean, then a dry patch a couple of times?

Do you do anything after that like a few patches with Bore Butter?

Comment

I don't know anything about muzzle loaders other than how to pull the trigger.

However I will tell you that it will be the end of the world as we know it before I will get WD40 anywhere near a firearm or any mechanical device I care about. I keep it around for door hinges and cleaning motorcycle chains. That is about it.

WD40 is NOT water based. It's water displacing (hence the "WD"). It will also gum up like nobodies business. I venture to say that more firearms have been ruined by WD40 than any other petroleum product on the face of the planet. If you want to de-activate primers, spray them with WD40. It will penetrate and kill them.

Lastly, taking advice from a Gander Mountain employee is a lot like Russian Roulette. You may win, but you are still stupid for playing.
        "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
        8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Originally posted by HEDP View Post
          You run hot soapy water with a patch and a jag until it's clean, then a dry patch a couple of times?

Do you do anything after that like a few patches with Bore Butter?
          That's pretty much what my black powder rifle shooting buddies and I do. So far it has worked just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by M1garand View Post
            That's pretty much what my black powder rifle shooting buddies and I do. So far it has worked just fine.

So you use 1 wet patch and a jag until it's clean and then 1 dry patch.....or multiple wet and dry patches?

Comment

HEDP,

First, I run hot soapy water through the barrel for few minutes, then run dry patches to dry up the moist. If need be, get a patch soaked with solvent, run it through and then let it sit for a while. and then run some dry patches to get all the dirty stuff out of the barrel.

I love shooting black powder guns, but cleaning is the biggest obstacle.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawdawg45
                Just curious, does smokeless powder foul the weapon as much as black powder?LD
                Smokeless does burn bit more cleaner. I haven't shot any smokeless out of my musket, so i'm just assuming it is.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6376 users online. 283 members and 6093 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                X