300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start reloading

I'm looking to start reloading, 9mm mostly to start. Any tips for setting up my reloading station from scratch?

Thanks in advance!
    "Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    -George Orwell

Go to the RCBS website and go through their Guide to Reloading.
    http://www.rcbs.com/guide/

Then look into one of their kits.
    https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/Mai...J148&route=C04

I started out with the Rock Chucker Supreme Master Kit, and it was an exceptional deal and great buy for a single-stage press. If I could do it over, I would have gone for the Turret Deluxe Reloading Kit. It's much faster than a single stage, but not as complicated as a progressive reloader. You don't have to spend a ton of time swapping dies all the time.

If you want to go straight to a progressive reloader, look into Dillon Precision. They have HOW-TO videos on their presses. It's a lot more expensive up-front, but the amount of ammo you can pump out is significant.
    http://www.dillonprecision.com/Dillo...hines-8-1.html
    Last edited by Reedo; 11-21-2011, 05:40 PM.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
    -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

What kind of volume are we talking? Shooting 2-3 matches a weekend, or just plinking occasionally? Do you have any equipment already? How much space do you have available? Do you have a dedicated bench, or will you need to set up / take down on a regular basis? Any previous reloading experience? I know you said 9mm, but will you later expand to other pistol calibers? Rifle?

I've been reloading for years, and would love to help you out, just need some more info...
      Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
      --Winston Churchill--

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSheriff View Post
        What kind of volume are we talking? Shooting 2-3 matches a weekend, or just plinking occasionally? Do you have any equipment already? How much space do you have available? Do you have a dedicated bench, or will you need to set up / take down on a regular basis? Any previous reloading experience? I know you said 9mm, but will you later expand to other pistol calibers? Rifle?

I've been reloading for years, and would love to help you out, just need some more info...
        Pretty much what he said. If you ever plan on reloading rifle, get a Dillon 550B. If you have a fair amount of money to spend, get a Dillon XL 650.

Brian Enos has a wealth of information on this subject on his website:

In the "Which Dillon" section, he goes over which of their offerings would best suit different folks:
        http://brianenos.com/pages/dillon.html#which

He also has a Dillon FAQ that is very detailed:
        http://brianenos.com/pages/dillonfaqs.html

He recommends the 550B for new reloaders, and has several EZ-Buy packages already set up:
        http://brianenos.com/store/dillon.ez.550.html

His forums also have a reloading forum with a ridiculous amount of information pertaining to specific calibers, Dillon machines, or other MFG's machines. I can say from experience in owning Lee equipment and Dillon equipment, and spending a bit of time on an RCBS press that I love my Dillon. Once you go blue, you never go back.

If you don't know who Brian Enos is, here's a little bio:
        http://brianenos.com/pages/bio.html
        Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSheriff View Post

-plinking mainly
          -I will have a dedicated bench
          -reloaded with a friend of mine a couple of times a last year.
          -would like to reload some rifle rounds also

Thanks for the quick replies.
          "Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
          -George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by ArkLawman View Post
            -plinking mainly
            -I will have a dedicated bench
            -reloaded with a friend of mine a couple of times a last year.
            -would like to reload some rifle rounds also

Thanks for the quick replies.
            If plinking is where you're at now, I would look at the Hornady or RCBS kits. Both are about the same price and come with just about everything you need to start. When you expand, you can still find plenty of use everything in the kit. RCBS has a $50 cash rebate through the end of the year, and Hornady has a 500 free bullets offer. A single stage is great to learn on, and will keep up for the general plinker.

Both kits are single stage, but you will learn the basics. Single stage is preferred if you get into precision rifle loads.

For a good entry level progressive, I like the Hornady. It was my 1st progressive and I have loaded everything from .38 special up to .308 winchester on it.

The Dillons are awesome machines, but a little pricey. If you can afford them, go for it. As the other poster said, you wont go back.

Most important, whatever you do, follow the reloading manuals. They will keep you from blowing up your gun if you follow the rules. Let us know what you decide, and feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
            Last edited by SoCalSheriff; 11-22-2011, 12:43 AM.
            Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
            --Winston Churchill--

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Comment

Rcbs

I started with a RCBS kit. After a few years I upgraded to a progressive. Its a great hobby and eventually you will add a lot of new calibers to experiment with.

The advantage of 9mm is you will pick up free brass everywhere.

Comment

One thing about 9mm though, is a lot of people seem to have issues re sizing brass that came from a variety of sources, so before I spent money on dies I would seek out what will work and get them first. There is bulge down near the bottom of the case that causes some people issues. I have never reloaded 9x19 myself but I have read of many people having issues due to that bulge.

Bill
                Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

I found a used Dillon 550 ready to go for 9mm for $425. How good of a deal do you think it is?
                  Last edited by ArkLawman; 11-22-2011, 07:07 PM.
                  -George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by willbird View Post
                    One thing about 9mm though, is a lot of people seem to have issues re sizing brass that came from a variety of sources, so before I spent money on dies I would seek out what will work and get them first. There is bulge down near the bottom of the case that causes some people issues. I have never reloaded 9x19 myself but I have read of many people having issues due to that bulge.

Bill
                    Just use an EGW U-Die to size/decap and you're GTG.
                    Eat Meat, Build Mass!

Comment

I found a used Dillon 550 ready to go for 9mm for $425. How good of a deal do you think it is?
                      What comes with it? Strong mount? What kind of dies? Bullet tray? Roller handle? Any other equipment such as a scale or tumbler?

Since it comes with dies, and if they are good quality carbide dies, I'd say it's a decent deal depending on what kind of shape the machine is in. Personally I'd try to get the guy down to $400, but $425 isn't bad considering the cheapest new one you can get is $429 and that adds shipping or tax, and then you have to buy dies. If the press comes with a strong mount, and/or bullet tray it's an even better deal. The best part about it is that you don't have to set it up :-p The 550B can easily do 500 rounds/hour... you will not be disappointed. Dillon also has a no questions asked lifetime warranty on all parts.
                      Eat Meat, Build Mass!

Comment

One of the first steps is getting a good reloading manual such as Lyman, Hornady, or the ABC;s of reloading. They have tons of information and will walk you through each step.

I will second the notion on starting with a single stage press. It will help you concentrate on getting each step right without becoming overwhelmed. Once you pick up the basic kit you will be amazed at how quickly you accumulate reloading "stuff".

Here is another forum I'm a member of that has some very knowledgeable members:

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/han...must-know.html

Do an image search on the internet for reloading benches. You can see what other people have done and might see something that works for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitthegym View Post
                          Just use an EGW U-Die to size/decap and you're GTG.
                          That is a great example, but better to spend that up front than buy say the Dillon die and fight with it, then buy XYZ die, then PDQ die, and have a C note wrapped up in the dies that did not work :-).

Bill
                          Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Hitthegym View Post
                            What comes with it? Strong mount? What kind of dies? Bullet tray? Roller handle? Any other equipment such as a scale or tumbler?

Since it comes with dies, and if they are good quality carbide dies, I'd say it's a decent deal depending on what kind of shape the machine is in. Personally I'd try to get the guy down to $400, but $425 isn't bad considering the cheapest new one you can get is $429 and that adds shipping or tax, and then you have to buy dies. If the press comes with a strong mount, and/or bullet tray it's an even better deal. The best part about it is that you don't have to set it up :-p The 550B can easily do 500 rounds/hour... you will not be disappointed. Dillon also has a no questions asked lifetime warranty on all parts.
                            It comes with a strong mount, handle and a couple of trays. These are good questions that I need to ask. I stopped in on duty and got called away but will ask these questions.
                            -George Orwell

Comment

It comes with a strong mount, handle and a couple of trays. These are good questions that I need to ask. I stopped in on duty and got called away but will ask these questions.
                              If it comes with the strong mount, handle and bullet trays that's a ~$115 value added. If the machine is in good shape (no rust, smooth operating) I would buy it in a heartbeat as a first press.
                              Eat Meat, Build Mass!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7675 users online. 375 members and 7300 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X