300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surefire 60 round magazine failure

Just wanted to give a heads up about a few problems I experienced with a new Surefire 60 round magazine. I purchased the magazine a few days ago and immediately noticed that the follower is not an anti-tilt design and it was easily jammed when it was pushed down with my finger.

I attempted to load the magazine and found that I could only get 10 rounds in the magazine and no more. I manually unloaded the magazine and tried again a few times, only 10 rounds each time. I called Surefire and was advised to take the magazine apart and reassemble it according to the instructions. After a lot of fumbling with the array of springs, followers, and a "guide", I finally got the magazine reassembled.

I attempted to load the magazine again and this time I was able to load 60 rounds. Some of the rounds rattled around inside the magazine, but that was okay. Now the real problem begins, I decided to chamber a round and noticed that it seemed a little strange, as if the round was being forced into the chamber. I tried it a few more times and experienced a failure to chamber a round. Closer inspection of the round revealed that it had been bent just behind where the bullet was seated into the casing. I tried two more times and on the second attempt experienced another failure, this time the tip of the bullet was sheared off and the bullet itself was, dislodged and pushed back into the casing, all the way, not just slightly.

The rifle used is a Daniel Defense DDM4 V1 and the rounds used were Winchester Ranger 55 grain jacketed soft point. Both have performed well for me and I have no reason to believe that either caused the failures.

It is very possible that I bought a defective magazine, however, I found it unacceptable and will not use one for duty use after what I experienced. The magazine was promptly returned and exchanged for several other magazines.

Be Safe,
    Hap

I haven't read many good reviews about them. With is sad because Surefire normally has much better quality.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
    (")_(")
    Copy and paste Bunny into your
    signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
      -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

Never used one. With all the other tactical crap on a rifle along with a 30 round magazine, it gets heavy after a while. I can't imagine carrying a 60 round magazine on it.

Comment

Other than fixed base defense against zombies, I do not see much of a use for them. For many purposes the older original design 20 round mag is nicer than the 30 IMHO.
          Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

The concept behind the 60rd magazine was pretty sound. Use it as a primary magazine in the rifle for active shooter response. You have less magazines to carry, and more in the gun initially so you won't need a mag change if you blow off your 20 or 30rd magazine. The other concept was as a primary magazine for the rifle to make up for officers forgetting to grab a spare magazine when they deploy a rifle.
            What it does not do is take into account the malfunction concept. I.E. "two is one, and one is none".

We have a sureFire 60rd mag that we are doing T&E on. So far, it's been pretty reliable. I ripped through the magazine without problem, but it wasn't terribly fast. I wouldn't mind putting the magazine into my own rifle and taking it to my range to put it through some abuse.
            "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
            -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

Do you officers really think that at an active shooter incident, which is usually in a "innocent rich" environment, you will be firing 30/40/60 rounds ?
              "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
              John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by Sleuth View Post
                Do you officers really think that at an active shooter incident, which is usually in a "innocent rich" environment, you will be firing 30/40/60 rounds ?
                Even if so, a speed reload isn't very slow with 30 rounders.
                Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

Comment

Originally posted by CACBAND View Post
                  I haven't read many good reviews about them. With is sad because Surefire normally has much better quality.
                  I have read nothing but good reviews myself, including LAV, so this comes as a surprise to me. Other then sh&%s in giggles, a 60rnd mag does not really interest me personally and at over $100 per mag, not really interested.
                  - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Originally posted by WillBrink View Post
                    I have read nothing but good reviews myself, including LAV, so this comes as a surprise to me. Other then sh&%s in giggles, a 60rnd mag does not really interest me personally and at over $100 per mag, not really interested.
                    Steve Fisher from MD is using them a lot now as well, as is Chris Costa.
                    Eat Meat, Build Mass!

Comment

OK, you got me. What is LAV ?
                      "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                      John Stuart Mill

Comment

OK, you got me. What is LAV ?
                        Larry Vickers
                        Eat Meat, Build Mass!

Comment

Thanks, I had never heard that (other than the USMC Light Amphibious Vehicle).
                          John Stuart Mill

Comment

Thanks, I had never heard that (other than the USMC Light Amphibious Vehicle).
                            Larry Vickers, one of the more trusted and generally all knowing man O war regarding all things small arms, etc. Usually just referred to as LAV.

He gave a very favorable review to that mag, and he's rare to say nice things about much.
                            - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4345 users online. 239 members and 4106 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X