Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on this AR?

http://northeasternarms.com/beta/pla...nea-15-carbine

what are your thoughts on this rifle?? its a newer Canadian company.... have yet to see one in person

Seems pretty cool and priced well. I like the billet upper and lower and that they did a 1:8 twist on the barrel. Don't think I have seen an AR with polygonal rifling before.
    "When they kick out your front door, how you gonna come? With your hands on your head, or on the trigger of your gun. When the law break in, how you gonna go? Shot down on the pavement, or waiting in death row." - President Barack Obama

Comment

Originally posted by Chazz View Post
      Don't think I have seen an AR with polygonal rifling before.
      Noveske
      "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
      8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Originally posted by Chazz View Post
        Seems pretty cool and priced well. I like the billet upper and lower and that they did a 1:8 twist on the barrel. Don't think I have seen an AR with polygonal rifling before.
        for the price i think its a quality rifle but i just have to wonder where/if they cut corners....

Comment

for the AR Gurus out there based on the specs what rifle or rifle company does this rifle seem to be the closest to? i know judging a rifle based on the specs without handling and shooting is most likely a moot point but just for arguments sakes what would you say? i'm going to hopefully have an opportunity to shoot this rifle on Monday so i will let you all know how she handles.

Comment

Is the 14.5" barrel OK in Canada?
            You could not bring it into the US, as it would be classed as a short barreled rifle, requiring all kinds of paper to import, even for a day of training.
            "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
            John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by Sleuth View Post
              Is the 14.5" barrel OK in Canada?
              You could not bring it into the US, as it would be classed as a short barreled rifle, requiring all kinds of paper to import, even for a day of training.

Isn't 17" the minimum for rifles in Canada?

Comment

There's no minimum barrel length set by the law. The category of the firearm change from restricted (civilian) to Prohibited ( LEO, military, etc.) when the barrel is too short.

Comment

It looks like they have an A2 flash hider on there...there are different variants that if permanently attached will bring it to 16".
                  "When they kick out your front door, how you gonna come? With your hands on your head, or on the trigger of your gun. When the law break in, how you gonna go? Shot down on the pavement, or waiting in death row." - President Barack Obama

Comment

NEA has been making accessories mostly for the AR and VZ platforms. Barrels, receivers etc. They make their own barrels. These rifles are their first complete rifles and I do know that their first production run was pre sold to dealers and all rifles were pre purchased. They do a lot of business outside of Canada.

I will say that while I own billet, it really isn't my favorite due to weight and also machining tolerances also vary, however upper and lower fit can be done very well when matching an upper and lower set. Their barrel profile is not my favorite, again for weight but they do have a lifetime barrel warranty. Not sure how I feel on that one, but it can't hurt the consumer. Also lifetime on the weapon itself. Their advantage in pricing comes as they directly manufacture their major components which is a money saver. The rail is also made by them, but I am skeptical on the clamping tension as it looks like on how it clamps that it places a lot of tension on the aluminum and that is how most failures arrive in rails.

Don't like the commercial sized receiver extension, but can get past that. Specs sound good on the BCG and there are few outsources of these parts who make M16 style that is MPI/HPT and staked correctly which means that they probably source them from a reputable place as well as the other parts they are not making. Their goal is to make all parts on the weapon.

Now the big thing is often the assembly, hard to say on that as these rifles are so new and mostly in the hands of those outside of the US I have no way to base an opinion on assembly or how well the weapon functions. If the weapon is assembled well and does work well, the pricing seems to be very fair is you want a hypothetical best case type of thing.
                    The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

Originally posted by Highwaystreets1 View Post
                      http://northeasternarms.com/beta/pla...nea-15-carbine

what are your thoughts on this rifle?? its a newer Canadian company.... have yet to see one in person
                      http://northeasternarms.com/beta/platforms-1

Sorry, our link died on you. We were in the process of a complete site upgrade.

A little background; We've been making firearms accessories for a few years now for a dozen different platforms.. Before that we specialized in aircraft landing systems for the US defense industry for 50 years.

In Canada and the rest of the world) the AR market is pretty much at the mercy of the US State Dept. Import/export fees and a many hands involved jacks the prices up. We decided to have a go at it. One thing we committed to early was a model that retailed under $1000 and would have 0% US Content. While having 0% US content is not something that a company in our line of work strives for.. this would mean that it would not be trapped under ITAR which effects even resale. Our AR can ship anywhere in the world, a fact we're proud of. Unfortunately our only clients in the US can be LEO/MIL, no civi sales on the rifles.

The rifles themselves.. They're built around billet receivers. While they are billet they are not overly weighty. They are beefed up where they need to be, and trimmed where we can. The intent was to have a light weight rifle with heavy weight options.

Our 12" quad rail weighs in at only 12oz. This allowed us to move up to a medium contour barrel to provide better accuracy. On top of that we are using a polygonal rifled barrel and we are treating it with our proprietary ARC+ treatment (an advanced form of nitrocarburizing). This provides a very tough, corrosion resistant and accurate barrel. So much so that we're offering a lifetime warranty (non military) on them.

The entire rifle carries a lifetime warranty as well. We even have a LEO package for our 14.5" patrol carbine including a toss over plate carrier, plates, helmet, mags, etc.. for less money than the standard C8 rifle on its own (C8 - Colt Canadas M4). We even offer in-house financing and training for LEO's in Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by HEDP View Post
                        Isn't 17' the minimum for rifles in Canada?
                        Fixed for ya
                        - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Originally posted by HEDP View Post
                          Isn't 17" the minimum for rifles in Canada?
                          Actually in Canada we don't have SBR laws. For as backwards as any government is, they at least recognize that 20" or 7.5" doesn't really make much of a difference.. they all do the same thing.

In fact this also applies to other guns as well. You can have a rem 870 with a factory 8" barrel with no restrictions at all. Just like your pappy's bird gun. We do have an 26" Overall Length requirement on non restricted guns before they become restricted and requires another license.

In the case of AR rifles.. because of ITAR, no 5.56mm barrels nor any barrel under 16" can be exported out of the US. This is why we decided to focus on the short barreled rifles. There is a demand for them here, and we don't have to file any additional paperwork to use them.

The biggest reason (and some still dispute this) is that a short barreled rifle is inherently more accurate. A shorter barrel has less whip and improved harmonics. While they do have less velocity at the muzzle which translates to decreased 'end user' terminal performance at long range. Our 10.5" rifle will out-shoot my 18" Colt out to 400m. A round from a 10.5 will go subsconic far before one from a 18-20" will. And all kinds of goofy things happen to a 5.56 round at that point. Granted our 10.5" barrel being polygonal rifled is also a more accurate design.
                          Last edited by DMcFaul; 10-21-2011, 09:36 AM.

Comment

I will definitely have to keep a 10.5" one in mind as a patrol rifle. I am starting with one of two departments in the near future and will have to see what their patrol carbine stipulations are.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1802 users online. 121 members and 1681 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X