300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ball powders for .223

I've about had it trying to get Varget to meter consistently through my 550. I used to be able to do it when dropping 43 grains for 7.62x54R, but its not working for lighter charges in .223. Anyone have recommendations for ball powder?

Have you tried H335? While not a ball powder per se, I have had better results with it metering than Varget. I have also had good luck with IMR 4198.

Both powders meter well for my .223 loads in both my Hornady standard and my Redding 3BR.....
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    --Winston Churchill--

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Comment

I've reloaded probably close to 10k rounds of .223 the last few years and H335 is my powder of choice.
      Steve

Comment

Winchester 748 was the choice of powder I used when I was into reloading 5.56mm/.223. I have friends reloading with varget powder, so let me ask them if they have any suggestions.

Comment

Thanks, I'll give 748, H335, and IMR4198 a try.

Comment

the Dillon drop works for volume, not precision. Those who want accurate drops on their Dillon press set up a Hornady powder drop system.

Comment

All I could find was BL-C(2) and H4198 (as opposed to IMR4198). I had the BL-C(2) flowing consistently in less than 5 minutes. As long as it shoots well I think I'm done here. Thanks for the responses.

Comment

Ramshot TAC is my 5.56 go to powder now. It is cheaper than most others and has some killer velocity's.
                "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5445 users online. 312 members and 5133 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X