300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remington 700 VTR

A buddy of mine has offered to sell me a Remington 700 VTR in .223 I don't know a lot about rifles but am wondering what you all can tell me about this model, (BTW he is kinda doing me a favor on price, WAY below what I found elsewhere)
    I Collect Patches ! ! !. Willing to trade PM if interested

My Happy Patch trading buddies: swepd, CUSECOP, adktreepolice,

It will shoot or it won't. The VTR is a bit of a bastard. The triangle barrel really doesn't do anything for performance, but it looks pretty funky and makes it harder to have the barrel cut/threaded. The brake won't do squat for the .223 and the stock is pure ****e.

I have heard of more issues with Remington 700s chambered in .223 than with all other chambers combined. I don't know if they got a bad batch of tooling or what.

Since it's your buddies rifle, go to the range with him and shoot it. If it shoots, then buy it. If not, then offer him a couple hundred for it because it will need to go back to Remington or my suggestion would be to just have a good smith put a new match barrel on it.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
    8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

WTF kind of namby-pamby word censor bleeps out "S H I T E" !
      "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Comment

LOL... he offered 400 dollars

Comment

It's a 1:9 twist, so keep in mind that you're limited to around 69gr, but you're somewhere in the 60's for ability. Personally, I prefer 1:8 or 1:7 to be able to stabilize the heavier 75gr, 77gr and longer bullets.

FWIW, I had a .308 VTR for a while, and it was the usual Remington accuracy.
          Last edited by Reedo; 05-27-2011, 12:55 AM.
          "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
          -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

the .308 has the 1:12 twist the .223 is 1:9 according to remington's site

Comment

Yeah, I just saw that. I was looking at the .308 twist. Woops...

Anyways, changed the post. Personally, I won't buy a .223/5.56 with less than 1:8 twist anymore.
              "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
              -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

my friend had this rifle with the triangle barrel and it wouldn't group worth anything!! i went to the local gun store a couple of weeks ago and they were selling these rifles brand new for around $400 Canadian because up here they have been given a ton of bad word of mouth reviews... like BD says go shoot it and if you like it and it shoots well why not?

Comment

IMHO $400 is reasonable if it shoots. If not, offer him $300 for it and you will be well on your way to a custom rifle (assuming you want a .223 class cartridge).

Comment

Do you WANT a bolt-gun in .223? I had one a long time ago. It was a Savage 112FV, and it shot REALLY well. Still, I had little use for it, so I sold it. I now have a Remington 700 LTR in .308win. If I wanted a trainer-rifle, I would get a .22lr.

HOWEVER, if you don't have an AR-15 (or your state's hunting laws disallow AR-15s for hunting), a .223 is a good coyote/groundhog rifle. That's about the only use I can think of for a .223 bolt-gun...

If I want to put a .223 downrange, I have plenty of other rifles for that.
                    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog F4i View Post
                      WTF kind of namby-pamby word censor bleeps out "S H I T E" !
                      it had the "S-H- I" in it- the webmaster isn't a dork,y'know! And between you and Jwise, and our guy from conneticut, thanks for all the good info on gunz!....
                      "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Do I want a bolt gun in .223. The answer is that I didn't at first, but money is an issue and my buddy is even willing to take payments anbd put a scope on the rifle for me. I think that he wants to have friend to go shooting rifles with since I don't have one he is helping out. I wanted a .223 but in a mini14 or ar but I cant afford those yet. and I think it would work for my purpose of killing Coyotes.

Of course if anyone has a Mini-14 they want to sell for around 400 bucks and they will take payments let me know !

Also this will help get rid of some of my (everyone has more guns than me envy)

Comment

Originally posted by Copernicus View Post
                          Do I want a bolt gun in .223. The answer is that I didn't at first, but money is an issue and my buddy is even willing to take payments anbd put a scope on the rifle for me. I think that he wants to have friend to go shooting rifles with since I don't have one he is helping out. I wanted a .223 but in a mini14 or ar but I cant afford those yet. and I think it would work for my purpose of killing Coyotes.

Of course if anyone has a Mini-14 they want to sell for around 400 bucks and they will take payments let me know !

Also this will help get rid of some of my (everyone has more guns than me envy)
                          Well you KNOW any mini-14 you find will NOT shoot :-). The rem even if it is NOT a shooter cannot possibly shoot as bad as a mini-14 ;-). I'd grab a box of gold medal match, and shoot some groups and see how it does.

Bill
                          Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Copernicus View Post
                            i cry every time i read things like this. it makes me remember passing up the Wal-Mart special years ago. A mini-14 with laminated stock for something like $200.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2935 users online. 173 members and 2762 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X