300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sig P229 Serpa Question

I was wondering does anyone know if the light bearing level 3 serpa for the 226 will work with the 229

Yes. The P229 only has a shorter barrel. All the dimensions that count are the same.
    However, before you do, go do some research on YouTube and other sites and look up "serpa failure". You'll be surprised by what you find. Not a good track record for reliability. I had a failure with mine, so I ditched it quick.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
    -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

Hmmm. I have a non-light-bearing SERPA for my 229R, and neither of my 226s will fit it. I have an early Herndon, VA, import 226 and a fairly new Exeter 226R, and neither will fit in my 229R SERPA.

For that matter, I've got one of the SIG-sold ITAC holsters for the newer 226, and it fits my 220 but neither of my 229s will fit in it.
      The opinions expressed here are from the individual only and do not represent the view of any agency that the poster may be affiliated with

Comment

That's goofy, it's the same with other guns (Glocks, M&Ps, etc). Like I said- go with a Safariland instead.
        "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
        -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

They are NOT identical; the P229 is slightly wider and stouter than the P226. Some holsters (ie, Serpa) are can be used with both however closer fitting holsters may not. I have both a P229 and P226 as duty weapons from two different departments, the P226 Serpa Level III duty holster I use (non-light model) DOES hold the P229 securely. Likewise the Serpa standard concealed holster P226 model holds and secures the P229, however it does place the center of mass of the pistol higher than the P226 while in the same holster - without the 'hood' on the concealed carry holster it sits noticeably higher in the holster making it slightly 'top heavy'.
          Both Sigs are .40, both 12 round magazines. The P226 magazines DO fit AND function in the P229, though they 'rattle' as they are loose and stick out about 1/3". The P229 magazines do NOT fit in the mag well of the P226. Again, the P229 is wider than the P226.
          Long story short, sadly Sig did NOT follow the lead of Glock and others in making a 'compact' pistol as dimensionally similar to full size with just reduced length and height; the widths ARE different thus the holsters (and more importantly the magazines) are NOT full interchangeable. The P229 being 'shorter' will have the mass of the weapon lower in the holster and feel more secure in the holster designed for that weapon though with the level III duty holster it fits and feels fine. My Serpa P226 holsters do work with both, and I am confident in their use on and off duty. YMMV.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2669 users online. 146 members and 2523 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X