300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Duty with extra magazine ?

When you guys carry off duty do you guys carry any spare mags? The only reason I ask is what about a double feed, as you need to strip the mag and clear the chamber. Obviously, with other jams a "tap, rack, bang" should work. Do you guys feel that a spare mag is too much to carry off-duty? Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I'm just curious. Thanks.
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."

Unless you walking in a war zone or the worst getto / trailer park / worst streets in the us.. i doubt the extra magazine will be needed.. just always before you go out.. check you weapon.. clear magazine, rack it back a few times,etc, but if your gun gonna jam, its gonna jam whether you are in a gun fight or on the range.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I figured most would have the same thought. I have many friends/family in LE but have one buddy that ALWAYS has a Glock 19 with atleast one mag, badge and cuffs even off duty. Just seemed like overkill/paranoid/overcautious.

Comment

I carry an extra in the car, in addition to a set of cuffs in the glove box.
        "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Originally posted by JasperST
        I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Comment

you said it and i agree with it ( your buddy i mean ).. ure weapon is just enough.. of course i have my badge on me.. but extra mag or handcuffs off duty.. um that's a big no! and honeslty.. just to say.. if i am off duty and god forbid sumthing happened, i do not even know if i want the person to know i am a cop. things can go really wrong trying to be a hero when you might put others life on the line. but i guess i have to be in it to be able to give my reason why i reacted or why i didn't react.. just get much information / deatl on the person or persons to pass on.

Comment

I am not in LE yet but I don't usually carry an extra mag unless I know I'm going to a less than reputable area.

But I am willing to bet there are a lot of guys who do, and with a lot more training and experience than me.
            "You don't got to be Stonewall Jackson to know you don't want to fight in a basement." Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

We are required by policy to carry at least one reload and a restraining device whenever we are carrying off duty.
              Originally posted by kontemplerande
              Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

SRT936

Are you guys limited by dept policy on what you can carry off duty as well? As far as manufacturer, caliber, etc?
                "You don't got to be Stonewall Jackson to know you don't want to fight in a basement." Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Originally posted by SigSauerDawg View Post
                  SRT936

Are you guys limited by dept policy on what you can carry off duty as well? As far as manufacturer, caliber, etc?
                  Not really. The only real requirement is that the off-duty weapon is inspected and approved by the department armorer, you carry approved ammo, and qualify with it at our off-duty range day.
                  Originally posted by kontemplerande
                  Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

we can carry our weapon from department or qualify under another weapon/ and at range also approved by department.

Comment

I should be hired by one of the biggest departments in the US this summer. The department allows you to carry your duty weapon off duty but also lets you carry whatever you want off duty without an off duty qualification.

It sounds like most departments have an off duty qualification. For anyone who wants to answer, does your department not have an off duty qual?

Comment

I subscribe to the theory that you are just as likely to need an extra mag as you were to need your gun to begin with. If you are going to carry a gun off duty why not add a spare mag to the mix? You already have to dress around the gun to properly conceal it so just add a mag and mag carrier to your weak side. Better safe than sorry!
                        ROLL TIDE!!!

Comment

A mag is pretty easy to throw in a pocket or even carry in one of the blackhawk CQC mag holders without being alarming to the general public...

I've always subscribed to the "its better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it".. I carry my fullsize Sig concealed, with an extra mag, and i am a short, but stocky guy.. I keep a flashlight in the truck, along with various other items that its handy to have at times..

You need to decide beforehand what action you are willing to take while you're out... For Example.. will you take action if you see some teenagers stuff a coke in their pocket at the gas station???

Me personally? I am not the Police...im just a guy with a license to carry a weapon and some training/experiance...
                          which means my only action when i am out is if there is a lethal force situation where i need to defend myself or someone who is about to be a victim...

Comment

I carry an extra in my car and might carry an extra on me, since my carry gun is a small pocket .380 with only 7 shots.

Comment

Originally posted by ERMedic View Post
                              I should be hired by one of the biggest departments in the US this summer. The department allows you to carry your duty weapon off duty but also lets you carry whatever you want off duty without an off duty qualification.

It sounds like most departments have an off duty qualification. For anyone who wants to answer, does your department not have an off duty qual?

For off-duty we are limited to a few certain guns and you need to qual with them.

I carry what I want since I am covered by the state and FOP anyway.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4840 users online. 288 members and 4552 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X