Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M&P Compact only allowed off-duty carry

I'm looking for some advice.

I'm a Deputy and my agency only permits 1 model of back-up/secondary guns - the M&P Compact (you pick your own caliber). Obviously you can carry your duty weapon off-duty if you wish (M&P full size).

I have not carried much off-duty but feel strongly that I need to start carrying more.
    I feel my full size M&P is too big to effectively carry off-duty.

I believe the county will only guarantee to protect you in a legal shooting if you are carrying the authorized weapon...and you have to qualify with it once a year.

Now my quandary...I want a small enough weapon where I can comfortably fit it in a pocket during shorts season. In the winter, I would either wear an ankle holster or conceal under our bulky winter clothing.

I don't feel like the M&P Compact is much smaller than my full size M&P. Is this accurate?

I've been doing a lot of reading and it seems like my first choice would be a small revolver or a small single stack semi-auto. The S&W snub nosed seem nice...although I've heard accuracy isn't that great and they can be hard to shoot (especially for guys with big hands...mine are sizeable).

On the semi-auto front, I've read good things about the Kahr's and some of the Walthers.

Is my assessment of the M&P Compact correct?
    I don't want to buy a gun that I'm not going to feel comfortable carrying.

On the other hand, in the (hopefully rare) chance that I get involved in an off-duty use of force or shooting, it is very concerning that my department may not protect me legally due to a non-authorized firearm being used. I don't want to endanger my career, house, family and retirement either...

If I bought a M&P Compact, my department would write a letter authorizing me to purchase it. If I went with a different model, then would I be buying as a private citizen...and carrying under my states carry laws?

Please talk amongst yourselves...and offer some advice!

Thanks!

Its def smaller but not by a lot. Personally, I think its a bit large for me but it depends on your frame I guess. Accuracy doesn't suffer, thats for sure.
    Stay safe out there

"Cancel that central, its a moose"

Comment

I tend to carry full size guns, and I live in Florida where it's typically shorts and t shirt weather. I currently carry a Glock 17 pretty frequently, and I've also got an M&P9c if I want to go small. The gun holds 12 rounds, and with the flush fit mag is about the same size as a Glock 26. With a quality IWB holster, and a little bit of figuring out where to carry it, you should hide it no problem. Carrying a smaller gun is not worth the consequences and I would definitely do as told and carry the M&Pc. It's not like it's a hi point or something, you'd be carrying a quality firearm that you are already familiar with. No brainer to me.
      Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

Comment

In a situation like what you're dealing with, it's better to be safe than sorry and abide by dept policy, as much as it may suck to do so. There are various ways to make do with concealing the MPc off duty. It just takes the willingness, dedication and most of all, sacrifice, on your end to make that happen.

Just my $0.02

Comment

I have both sizes for reasons other than normal people, Anyway the M&P compact flushes out at the bottom of my Fobus paddle holster when is where I have the problem with a long muzzle it drops below the untucked shirt line. It will drop sideways into the back pocket of my Woolrich pants thought I would not carry it there. The reasons I went with this gun is holster gear and magazines I have for the full size will fit. Both my guns have none of the added safety crap and that is the only way I would want one. I put Apex sears in both guns as I do not like heavy triggers.

Comment

We have several guys that carry the M&P compact as there ankle and off duty guns with no complaints. I have a Karh currently and I am considering adding an M&P as a higher round alternative. I love the way they feel in MY hand and point. The last thing you want is hesitation when its time to pull your gun, due to a big what if. That is the very reason I can't/don't carry a .380 or .45 BUG. Not only would you probably be fired but you would be hard press to replace the job if your willfully carried an unauthorized BUG.

Comment

Since I have both I can post side by side pictures for sizing, if you have not seen both of them together.

Comment

Sounds like you could do a lot worse for an off duty piece, the M&P compacts are pretty small and not too much different than a j-frame size wise. Here's a pic I found comparing a full size M&P, a compact, and a S&W snubby-

If you're limited to one gun you just have to learn to dress around it and give yourself several carry options - OWB, IWB, ankle, holster shirt, smartcarry, fanny packs, shoulder holsters that you war under your regular shirts - there's a ton of choices available these days. Off duty I carry OWB, ankle, and pocket, those three methods work for me with my guns and my lifestyle. It'll just take a little work to find what works for you.

I have not carried much off-duty but feel strongly that I need to start carrying more.
                Also, don't just carry more, carry ALL THE TIME. You never know what you'll run in to, don't take any chances.

Comment

I'll say just go with what your department is authorizing. Juat the other day, I was fondling a M&P compact. It is a decent size gun, but not as blocky as a Glock sub-compacts.

I strongly recommend that you carry all the time, when situation allows for it as you probably will be with people you really need to protect.

One other thing, go talk to your department's firearm instructors and see if they can help you further with carrying M&Pc more comfortably or even possibility of adding more guns to department's off duty list.

Comment

My standard OD rig is a M&P9c with a Crossbreed holster. Get a quality holster and you will have no trouble carrying it concealed. You just have to actually think about how you want to carry it and plan a little.

Comment

If its the only OD carry gun, it's a great choice. The gun is like a glock and has the feel of a full size. It's a chunky monkey, but if you have the right holster it'll just blend right in. I love the 40c.

Comment

You are a police officer, not a sheep. You chose this career, now deal with the responsibility. If something bad goes down, it is you who may ultimately be called upon to save lives. The M&P compact too big? Please. It's not that much bigger than a J frame, only heavier. Quit whining, get yourself a good belt and holster, and arm yourself properly. An off duty gun is supposed to be comforting, not necessarily comfortable. If you ever need to use your firearm in defense of life and limb, you will thank God that the department had the foresight to mandate a real weapon, and not some dinky, hard to shoot pocket gun with crappy sights and a low capacity of marginally effective bullets.
                        Did I fire six shots, or only five?

Comment

Some IWB hybrid IWB holsters

sigpicMy statements do not represent my agency.

Comment

Originally posted by hrtbreaker View Post
                            I'm looking for some advice.

I'm a Deputy and my agency only permits 1 model of back-up/secondary guns - the M&P Compact (you pick your own caliber). Obviously you can carry your duty weapon off-duty if you wish (M&P full size).

I feel my full size M&P is too big to effectively carry off-duty.

I believe the county will only guarantee to protect you in a legal shooting if you are carrying the authorized weapon...and you have to qualify with it once a year.

Now my quandary...I want a small enough weapon where I can comfortably fit it in a pocket during shorts season. In the winter, I would either wear an ankle holster or conceal under our bulky winter clothing.

I don't feel like the M&P Compact is much smaller than my full size M&P. Is this accurate?

I've been doing a lot of reading and it seems like my first choice would be a small revolver or a small single stack semi-auto. The S&W snub nosed seem nice...although I've heard accuracy isn't that great and they can be hard to shoot (especially for guys with big hands...mine are sizeable).

On the semi-auto front, I've read good things about the Kahr's and some of the Walthers.

Is my assessment of the M&P Compact correct?
                            I don't want to buy a gun that I'm not going to feel comfortable carrying.

On the other hand, in the (hopefully rare) chance that I get involved in an off-duty use of force or shooting, it is very concerning that my department may not protect me legally due to a non-authorized firearm being used. I don't want to endanger my career, house, family and retirement either...

If I bought a M&P Compact, my department would write a letter authorizing me to purchase it. If I went with a different model, then would I be buying as a private citizen...and carrying under my states carry laws?

Please talk amongst yourselves...and offer some advice!

Thanks!
                            There is NEVER a good enough reason to not carry off duty.

When are folks going to get this?

Comment

Not a LEO yet, but I am always armed. My standard carry rig was a XD40sc in a crossbreed, now I rock a G23 Gen 4 in a comp-tac MTAC. Get a good belt and learn to accommodate your wardrobe around the gun. Like the previous guy said, its not supposed to be comfortable, just comforting. A good belt will make or break a concealed carry rig. I bought the crossbreed belt and love it, I also swap it out with the blackhawk cqc belt. Both are excellent choices. The M&P c is a great gun, and if you are ever called on to use it, the familiarity with your duty piece will pay dividends to neutralize the threat.

Just so there is no confusion, I am not a LEO, but I was in the Corps, currently a Response Team Leader for a Nuclear Security company, an adversary that tests the security at power plants and a tactical firearms instructor. I carry all day, everyday.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5464 users online. 304 members and 5160 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X