300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting 1911's Authorized

I apologize in advance, as I am sure this has been asked and answered before, but I am looking for success stories of other officers that were able to "persuade" their departments into getting 1911's approved for duty. Any information or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I would think that unless its a "you buy your own gun" place, you would have a hard time doing so....
    Other weapons are cheaper and have higher capacity for rounds...Glocks for example...you could get almost 2 glocks for the price of one decent 1911 and @ twice the ammo in 2 extra mags and the one loaded in the weapon. Im not knocking the 1911...been looking at the SW1911PD myself, as its a sweeeeet gun...Depts are into the most bang for their buck, (forgive the pun), and a cheaper product that can hold more lead will usually win
    "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
    The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
    sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
    Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

I don't have a success story for you, but I wish you luck, brother.

Comment

Originally posted by La Linea View Post
        I don't have a success story for you, but I wish you luck, brother.
        Monument, CO PD just had an officer get 'er done! He knows about this site, but I'm not sure if he's a member. He's off this week, let me see if he'll accept a call from you....next week. Stand by, MAYBE, for a PM.

BTW, LAPD (my previous employer) just approved 1911's for those who can shoot expert level (380 out of 400 on the Bonus course) and jump through all the department hoops:
        http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...ight=lapd+1911
        "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

I tried a few years ago and had some good info from Kimber on Tacoma WA ( I think) and their justification for changing to the 1911. It was a no go at my agency. We are idiots apparently so have to stick to idiot proof (Glock) guns.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I know this is going to be an uphill battle, but I'm hoping for the best. If any one has any other ideas that would be great.

Comment

Honestly it doesn't matter what anyone else's department has done. Your department's personality, way of thinking, firearms instructor attitude towards 1911s, etc. are what you need to overcome.

It may help if you contact Kimber or Springfield Armory's LE reps. They can hook you up with all the info you need to make a presentation.
              NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

It took over two and a half years of trying before I got them approved. I think I attacked every possible angle an administration could throw at me. In the end you need a Chief that is willing to accept change but good arguments can help with that. I would check out http://forums.1911forum.com/ in the LEO Duty section. I have helped several people there by providing a copy of some of my memorandums/arguments and copies of policy. Shoot me a PM if you want what I have but I suggest reading up over there.

Good luck.

Comment

I saw your profile says I.L., Swansea I.L.( Metro east) PD carries 1911’s. I don’t know much more then that but you could try giving them a call.
                  The more you sweat in peace-time the less you bleed in war

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5036 users online. 282 members and 4754 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X