Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nitesighter Review

Bought these for three reasons:
    1) I love the standard Glock sights; box and circle. However, I wanted a decent night set up as well since 90% of the shifts I work are graveyards.
    3) Can't stand the three dot system that Trijicon and other tritium cylinders offer.
    2) I'm cheap.

$20 got me:
    -Four "bar" stickers
    -Four "circle" stickers
    -Super glue
    -Detail blade
    -Tooth Pick
    -Two cotton swabs
    -Shipped; recieved within 4 days.

Took me about 10 minutes to install them on my Glock 31 and Ruger LCP.
    Pleased with the results.

Naturally, the big downside to these is the fact you have to "charge" them. I've found just walking around the office with the lights on will charge it fine. A quick 5-10 minute blast from a duty flashlight works wonders as well.

I would look in darkness into a mirror to see how much the glow from those backlights your face as a target.

Comment

what happens if one of the stickers falls off and you need to use your weapon at night?
      In Valor there is hope

Comment

I ordered a set of these nitesight stickers last year and I never received them. I emailed the company multiple times and I got no response back. I don't know if their customer service has changed since then, I am just reporting my personal experience.

Comment

Originally posted by irish21 View Post
          3) Can't stand the three dot system that Trijicon and other tritium cylinders offer.
          You don't always have to "like" the tools you use to get the job done. You just need to be proficient with them. There is a reason the current generation of night sights have gotten to the configuration they have. Either the "three dot" or "straight 8" system is very efficient at night.

I see this as an excuse for your average tightwad cop to say "why do I need $100 night sights? These are just as good!"

There is a lot of misunderstanding about how to fight with a pistol at night. If you are perfectly lining up the glowy things on your sights, you are probably doing it wrong.
          "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
          8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU74 View Post
            what happens if one of the stickers falls off and you need to use your weapon at night?
            I assure you; the firearm will still work without the stickers.

And I see minimal possibility of them falling off; the come with light adhesive on the backs, and super glue on the sides. Keep in mind before these; I was using nothing but standard target sights on duty.

Originally posted by Blackdog F4i View Post
            You don't always have to "like" the tools you use to get the job done. You just need to be proficient with them. There is a reason the current generation of night sights have gotten to the configuration they have. Either the "three dot" or "straight 8" system is very efficient at night.

I see this as an excuse for your average tightwad cop to say "why do I need $100 night sights? These are just as good!"

There is a lot of misunderstanding about how to fight with a pistol at night. If you are perfectly lining up the glowy things on your sights, you are probably doing it wrong.
            Which is exactly why I didn't like the 3 dot system. I wasn't proficient with it.
            I've tried: target sights, 3 dot tritium, ghost sights, 3 dot fiber optic. And nothing clicks with me as well as the target sights. Instead of relearning to adjust my sight picture with a new sight style; I prefer to keep the sight picture I've trained thousands of rounds with.

And yes, they are absolutely cheap. They're little more then juiced up glow in the dark stickers; but if you'd like to spot me the extra $80 for tritium sights...By all means, I accept checks.

Comment

I bought my daughter a Beretta PX4 that had paint equiv. to these stickers, where you chage them up with flashlight, they were the brightest things going, but dimmed down and need flashlight recharge, so I put Meprolights onto the gun. I would rather have 12yrs of glow than 1.5hrs. I like the Tru-Glow TFOs they work awsome for me, but could be a bit flimsey for hard operator use.

Comment

How long do they last? Night shifts in December tend to be all darkness. Don't think I would ever want to rely on glow tlsrickers to last 11hrs.

Meprolight sights are $74, and TruGlo tritiums are $65. Considering that they're both very durable and reliable, and that cost of ownership per year based on a 10yr service life is $7.40 and $6.50 respectively, that's not a bad deal. There is a company that makes a lower bar on the tears and a front dot, but I can't remember which company that was. Not a lot of money when you consider that they are something that could potentially save your life. Buy once, cry once.
                "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
                -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

Originally posted by irish21 View Post
                  I've tried: target sights, 3 dot tritium, ghost sights, 3 dot fiber optic. And nothing clicks with me as well as the target sights. Instead of relearning to adjust my sight picture with a new sight style; I prefer to keep the sight picture I've trained thousands of rounds with.
                  FWIW: Tritium sights can also be purchased in a bar/dot configuration (front sight: dot/rear sight: bar beneath the notch). Novak sights are available as such and I've found them to be very quick to align in hours of darkness. During daylight hours, the rear sight bar is quite inconspicuous.
                  "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

I'm not sure I would be comfortable with your system, and if you find that you want to try something more permanent you should look into Heinie Straight 8s, XS Big Dot, and Novak Bar-Dot style night sights. All these systems put the rear night sight insert at the bottom of the sight, stacking the front night sight insert on top of it for the sight picture.
                    Novak Rear "Bar" night sight

Straight Eights

XS Big Dot
                    "A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding

Comment

My night sights are Green Dot on front and yellow dots for rear so that I can just focus on my front sight more efficiently. Also, I find night sights to be less effective after shooting few rounds in the dark due to my eyes being exposed to brightness of muzzle flash.

Point shoot/instintive shooting becomes bit more advantageous IMO.

I use (also sell lots of) Zone 3 night sights as these are less expensive than Trijicons and are manufactured by Trijicon for Zone 3.

If those stickers work for you, then that's good. But for me, I'd rather just pay up now and not worry about getting my gun out of the holster every few hours just to recharge the glow.

Comment

Originally posted by Bighead View Post
                        I'm not sure I would be comfortable with your system, and if you find that you want to try something more permanent you should look into Heinie Straight 8s, XS Big Dot, and Novak Bar-Dot style night sights. All these systems put the rear night sight insert at the bottom of the sight, stacking the front night sight insert on top of it for the sight picture.
                        Novak Rear "Bar" night sight

Hmm I like that rear sight! Thanks for letting me know about it.
                        I might just pick that up next paycheck to see how it does.
                        Straight Eights

XS Big Dot

Comment

+1 for XS, love em
                          In Valor there is hope

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2645 users online. 137 members and 2508 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X