300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holster help

I am a rookie with a small department and am issued a single retention holster, I don' feel comfortable with that, so I recently purchased a used Safariland 6360. I'm having trouble getting the gun out of the holster, and by trouble I mean I just can't do it. The first time I secured the weapon in the holster I had to end up disecting the holster just to get my gun out. Just from looking at the holster I would assume the gun needs to be rocked forward to get it out, but I can't get the gun to budge. So I guess I am begging for help so that I can start practicing with this holster so I can eventually carry it on duty.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim,

I have just transistioned from Safariland 070 to 6360 and it is serving me well. First off, Do you have Level III or IV retention on your holster? Here's what I do with mine. I press down the hood with my thumb and push forward and press the retenion with the thumb and push rearward, gun drawn straight up (there should be no tilting involved).

I'd suggest that you get together with your department's firearms instructor and go over features of the holster. When I transistioned over to 6360 from 070, I had practiced drawing/reholstering close to a thousand times prior to my qualification course. Especially you coming using a single retenion holster to this new one, need to be trained on it.

Here's video tutorial from Safariland http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/m...spx?model=6360

I hope this helps. If not, don't hesitate to contact me or others for more info.

Comment

M1,
      Thanks for the help. I have the Level III retention on this holster. I just put it all together and this thing is nice! I won't be qualifying with this until July, so I have plenty of time to practice.

Oh, and my department is so small(8 sworn) that our firearms guy isn't even employed by my agency, he works at a neighboring agency lol But I do know the SOs firearms guy fairly well, and I will make sure to get in contact with him about this as the county carries the same holster.

I really appreciate your time and help.

Thanks!
      Last edited by jmw_LS2; 05-15-2011, 09:37 AM.

Comment

there should be not tilting, depending which version you have here are the steps:
        1. push straight down on hood
        2. while depressed push hood forward
        3. place thumb on ALS button
        4. push ALS button to the rear (towards your back)
        5. draw pistol straight up and out
        In Valor there is hope

Comment

Now that you know how to work the holster, do not even think about carrying it on duty until you have done 500-1,000 draws from the holster, are smooth as glass and always (100% of the time) draw it completely out of the holster in one smooth motion with no hangups or do-overs. Speed will come with smoothness.
          Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
            Now that you know how to work the holster, do not even think about carrying it on duty until you have done 500-1,000 draws from the holster, are smooth as glass and always (100% of the time) draw it completely out of the holster in one smooth motion with no hangups or do-overs. Speed will come with smoothness.
            This^^^^ Do it right til you can't get it wrong, then work on your speed.
            It's not the will to win that matters...everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters.
            Paul "Bear" Bryant

Comment

And there are those that tell me in a fire fight fine motor skills goto poo and I should not train to use the tiny slide stop but should rack the slide, and then they put you in a holster like that?

Comment

David, the holster is not difficult at all to use. Thousands of us have drawn under great stress many times and not had problems. If drawing from a 6360/6365 is a problem, the problem is with the user.

And as regards slide stop versus rack and release, I think that with a Glock with the stock slide stop lever, racking it is better. Glock designed it that way, and didn't intend for the lever to be used as a release. It all comes down to training, though. Always train to use it, and always use it properly (again, smooth first and fast will happen) in training. "Practice doesn't make perfect, it only makes habit. Perfect practice makes perfect."
                Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU74 View Post
                  there should be not tilting, depending which version you have here are the steps:
                  1. push straight down on hood
                  2. while depressed push hood forward
                  3. place thumb on ALS button
                  4. push ALS button to the rear (towards your back)
                  5. draw pistol straight up and out
                  This is exactly it. Thanks for your help!
                  Originally posted by ateamer View Post
                  I don't plan on using this until I feel 100% confident in it. I'm pretty sure I did 100+ draws today, and plan on doing that every day between now and qualifying. I appreciate your advice.

Originally posted by oneoldcop View Post
                  This^^^^ Do it right til you can't get it wrong, then work on your speed.
                  Excellent advice, thanks!

Originally posted by David Hineline View Post
                  And there are those that tell me in a fire fight fine motor skills goto poo and I should not train to use the tiny slide stop but should rack the slide, and then they put you in a holster like that?
                  I put myself in a holster like this, they issued me one with just a thumb snap, which I didn't feel was sufficent. I have already been told they will not allow me to use this holster until the firearms guys is confident that I am more than capable of unholstering my weapon.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4296 users online. 240 members and 4056 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X