300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Range Report: SW Bodyguard .380

So, I finally got out to the range to test out my new SW Bodyguard .380.

What a great gun. It is extremely accurate for a pocket gun which is made possible by having real iron sights. The trigger is not too bad and the laser was spot on at 21' feet from the factory. I figure that it would shoot great at 25' feet also. This is fine for this gun's purposes and limitations. The gun is well made and durable. The gun has a bit of recoil but nothing anyone can't handle and not bad for a .380.

I shot 3 types of ammo through it, Remington, Winchester PDX1 (personal defense) and Herter's steel-cased ammo. Between my friend and I we fired over 107 rounds. I had no malfunctions with the good ammo (Remington and Winchester), however I had 8 failures to fire with the cheap Herter's. I suspect it cheap Herter's ammo and not the gun that caused the malfunction. Because the SW Bodyguard's hammer hits the firing pin every time you squeeze the trigger (a great feature), I simply squeezed the trigger again and the round fired. So for 8 of the Herter's rounds I needed to pull the trigger twice to make them fire.

21' feet, 7 shots using the laser.

21' feet, 6 shots with one hand.

21' feet, multiple magazines, my friend and I shooting.

I had some problems with the gun and had to send it to SW before I ever shot it. Their customer service is excellent. They emailed me a return label and when the gun came back 3 weeks later it had 2 new spare magazines with it.

I've carried this gun in my front and back pocket and love it. I also like the safety and the fact that I the slide locks back without a magazine installed.

Overall Score: A

I would give it an "A+", but because of the initial problems I cannot. I would highly recommend this gun to anyone out there as a carry gun.

I used to carry a Springfield 1911 Champion .45, but now carry this gun because I do not need a holster for it. I just throw it in my pocket and away I go, meaning I will carry more often then I ever have. (I did order a Galco pocket holster for it though, so it prints less.). I could not be happier with this gun and it is now one of my favorites and is my primary carry gun.

On a side note, my friend who shot with me and said he was fine with his SW Bodyguard .38, he now says his next gun will be the SW Bodyguard .380.

If you are looking for a pocket sized CCW, look no farther then the SW Bodyguard .380, this is the gun for you.

The .380 will compliment your .45 nicely. ............you are still carrying the 1911, right?

Comment

Only if I'm going someplace where I think there maybe trouble. A lot of places I go I used to never carry because the threat level was lower, but with the SW, I will carry there now.

Comment

I also just got a Bodyguard 380. I replaced my glock 23, which i was carrying off-duty. I love it! I carry it in the 9'oclock position in a sticky holster. It doesn't print, at all-ever. I was a little apprehensive about carrying it in a sticky holster, but after a month of constant wear I'm totally sold. Sometimes I'll throw it in my front pocket inside the holster. Also, the mags are small, so sometimes I'll throw an extra in my pocket.

The trigger is a little stiff, and the external safety isn't for me, but overall it is excellent. The price point is outstanding (318.00 plus tax)

The factory zero on the laser was dead on. I shot mostly from the tucked position out to 8 yards using the laser and it was VERY accurate. Also, the slide lock on empty chamber, and the cutout to see if a round is chambered are just some of the "extra's" that make this gun so worth buying.

I won't carry it on duty as my backup, mostly because I'm a firm believer in a wheel gun for that....but off duty? Can't beat it!!!

Comment

Thanks for the review HEDP. Looks like you got a great little gun there!

Comment

Originally posted by rmack View Post
            I also just got a Bodyguard 380. I replaced my glock 23, which i was carrying off-duty. I love it! I carry it in the 9'oclock position in a sticky holster. It doesn't print, at all-ever. I was a little apprehensive about carrying it in a sticky holster, but after a month of constant wear I'm totally sold. Sometimes I'll throw it in my front pocket inside the holster. Also, the mags are small, so sometimes I'll throw an extra in my pocket.

The trigger is a little stiff, and the external safety isn't for me, but overall it is excellent. The price point is outstanding (318.00 plus tax)

The factory zero on the laser was dead on. I shot mostly from the tucked position out to 8 yards using the laser and it was VERY accurate. Also, the slide lock on empty chamber, and the cutout to see if a round is chambered are just some of the "extra's" that make this gun so worth buying.

I won't carry it on duty as my backup, mostly because I'm a firm believer in a wheel gun for that....but off duty? Can't beat it!!!

What's a "sticky holster"?

I think the safety is great when I go someplace and take it out, like a friends house. My trigger is a little softer and smoother now coming back from SW.

The round chamber cutout is awesome, I wish all semi-auto's had them.

Comment

Deleted...
              Last edited by jd08; 09-30-2013, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jd08 View Post
                How do you feel about the capacities of the .380 ammunition? I've looked at them but have been told it can be an underpowered round...
                .380 definitely is under powered cartridge. However, since it is designed to deal with oh S(*T moment, it should be adequate enough for you to buy time to remove or retreat from the threat.

Comment

How do you feel about the capacities of the .380 ammunition? I've looked at them but have been told it can be an underpowered round...

Check this out. It is for a .32 and .380 gel tests.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=593304

Comment

Incredible! A Smith & Wesson Bodyguard 380 followed me out of the gun store, just yesterday afternoon. Can't wait to fire a few rounds.

Now to come up with a more plausible story for the missus.
                    "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
                      Now to come up with a more plausible story for the missus.
                      It was on sale.

That seems to always work with women.. or at least that's the line the wife always gives me

Comment

Originally posted by HEDP View Post

So, I finally got out to the range to test out my new SW Bodyguard .380.

What a great gun. It is extremely accurate for a pocket gun which is made possible by having real iron sights. The trigger is not too bad and the laser was spot on at 21' feet from the factory. I figure that it would shoot great at 25' feet also. This is fine for this gun's purposes and limitations. The gun is well made and durable. The gun has a bit of recoil but nothing anyone can't handle and not bad for a .380.

I shot 3 types of ammo through it, Remington, Winchester PDX1 (personal defense) and Herter's steel-cased ammo. Between my friend and I we fired over 107 rounds. I had no malfunctions with the good ammo (Remington and Winchester), however I had 8 failures to fire with the cheap Herter's. I suspect it cheap Herter's ammo and not the gun that caused the malfunction. Because the SW Bodyguard's hammer hits the firing pin every time you squeeze the trigger (a great feature), I simply squeezed the trigger again and the round fired. So for 8 of the Herter's rounds I needed to pull the trigger twice to make them fire.

21' feet, 7 shots using the laser.

21' feet, 6 shots with one hand.

21' feet, multiple magazines, my friend and I shooting.

I had some problems with the gun and had to send it to SW before I ever shot it. Their customer service is excellent. They emailed me a return label and when the gun came back 3 weeks later it had 2 new spare magazines with it.

I've carried this gun in my front and back pocket and love it. I also like the safety and the fact that I the slide locks back without a magazine installed.

Overall Score: A

I would give it an "A+", but because of the initial problems I cannot. I would highly recommend this gun to anyone out there as a carry gun.

I used to carry a Springfield 1911 Champion .45, but now carry this gun because I do not need a holster for it. I just throw it in my pocket and away I go, meaning I will carry more often then I ever have. (I did order a Galco pocket holster for it though, so it prints less.). I could not be happier with this gun and it is now one of my favorites and is my primary carry gun.

On a side note, my friend who shot with me and said he was fine with his SW Bodyguard .38, he now says his next gun will be the SW Bodyguard .380.

If you are looking for a pocket sized CCW, look no farther then the SW Bodyguard .380, this is the gun for you.

Way ahead of you, LOL. I carry a BG380 as a backup strapped to my vest, and also carry it off duty. My wife carries one in her purse. We both love them.

Comment

Last week I got dispatched to a shooting. Dude was dead from two body hits with a .380 - Any doubts I had in my backup weapon were gone right there.

Comment

Originally posted by jannino View Post
                            It was on sale.

That seems to always work with women.. or at least that's the line the wife always gives me
                            She declared, "Wow, that's cute!" and never asked me the price.

Cute?
                            "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
                              She declared, "Wow, that's cute!" and never asked me the price.

Cute?
                              For future reference: "Some of my officers wanted authorization to use them, and in good conscience I had to make sure it would be a reliable, serviceable weapon before letting them carry it to protect the town/county/whatever and themselves."
                              "It is better to avoid than to fight, better to deter than to kill. But.....it is better to kill than to die, or watch an innocent slaughtered, because you didn't have the wherewithal to defend them." - M. A.

"We should bear in mind that, in general, it is the object of our newspapers rather to create a sensation-to make a point-than to further the cause of truth."-Edgar Allan Poe(1809-1849)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3338 users online. 175 members and 3163 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X