300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best home defense shotgun?

I was wondering does anyone have any recommendations? Is the Remington 870 a safe bet?
    Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
    ~Mark Twain

Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity."
    — Horace Mann

You can never go wrong with an 870.
    Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

Comment

I'd go with an 870P just for greater peace of mind

Comment

I would say any pump action shotgun for home defense. I personally would buy a Mosberg M500, same thing military and police use. It's that distinct sound a pump action that lets criminals know they entered the wrong place. Load with 00 buck shot, guarantee a hit.
        GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

Everyone knows the sound of an 870 racking..............
          This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by deputy x 2 View Post
            Everyone knows the sound of an 870 racking..............

x1,000,000

The easiest way to make a thief need Depends (adult diapers) for the rest of their life.
            Ignore List : Bearcat357, Blackavar

Comment

Thanks the the replies everyone. Seems like the 870 is a good choice. I like the Mossberg M500 as well.
              Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
              ~Mark Twain

Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.
              ~Thomas Jefferson

"Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity."
              — Horace Mann

Comment

I recently was doing research on this exact thing. I was originally thinking about getting a Mossberg 590A1, which if I understand correctly, is the only Mossberg to meet all of the military specs. The 590A1's are the better built Mossbergs, and the 870 Police Magnums and 870 Wingmasters are the better built 870's. I finally chose a used police turn-in 870 Police Mag and love it. With my experience, much of the decision came down to the differences in safeties. For years I have used an 870 Express Magnum for hunting, so I am more familiar with that design. If you search the site a bit, you can find a wealth of information on the differences between 870 express models and police magnum models. There is also much information on the Mossbergs as well. Here is one thread that I found, but there are many more. Good luck with your decision.

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...ighlight=590a1

Comment

The only time choosing an 870 could be wrong, is when you pass up a Mossy 500 or 590.

870s are fine on the skeet and trap field, but I prefer the 500 for the more serious work. easier to maniulate the controls... especially if you're a lefty.

I'd even choose a Winchester M-12 first.
                  I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

all agreed- 870 first, mossberg 500 series 2nd. Have both- the 500At fell apart trigger housing cracked( a polymer) and literally fell out after a day on the range- it was a 15 yr old shotgun. My 870? as old as the mossberg, and the parkerizing in some psots is worn with a tiny nit of rust showing up- will work on that. other than that ,can still pump 2 3/4" and 3" thru it with no problem.
                    "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Originally posted by GIOSTORMUSNRET View Post
                      Load with 00 buck shot, guarantee a hit.
                      I wouldn't say that. Generally speaking, at your normal home defense distances, the spread (or lack thereof) of 00 buck certainly isn't a "wall of lead" and the same marksmanship principles still apply as if you had a rifle in your hands.

Comment

Why would you want to give away your position racking a shell into the chamber when you can accomplish two things when you do it with a BANG??????
                        sigpic

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Comment

Originally posted by zeplin View Post
                          Why would you want to give away your position racking a shell into the chamber when you can accomplish two things when you do it with a BANG??????
                          +1
                          Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

Comment

Rem 870 and Moss 500/590 are all good guns. No such thing as the "Best home defense shotgun" as we all have different need, taste and definition of what's "Best".

I personally like 500/590 series as access to controls are bit easier than 870.

Both guns have great reliability, in-expensive and aftermarket/upgrade parts are readily available.

Comment

NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5678 users online. 358 members and 5320 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X