300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remington 11-87 LE or FNH SLP

Trying to decide on one for a dedicated defense semi-auto shotgun, and looking for opinions and any experience.

I mention the 11-87 LE specifically, not the commercial version.

Does one edge out the other in quality, craftsmanship and reliability? Or is it just personal preference?

My wife has 11-87 as a sporting gun and it has served her very well for past 3 years.

If you are planning to purchase 11-87 for defensive purpose, do make sure that you have spare O rings in your parts bin as that seems to be the one need to be replaced at regular interval.

I have never seen nor used FNH SLP so I can't comment on it.

Comment

What attracts me to the SLP is that it comes with two interchangeable pistons, one for heavy defensive loads and the other for lighter ones.

I wonder if the Remington can cycle both reliably without the need for a different piston.

Comment

Auto loading shotguns are ammo sensitive, so if you are not going to use specific shotshells that meets the required spec for the gun, I'd suggest that you go with pump action.

Other day, a friend of mine let me shoot some of light loads he brought to the range. My Beretta did shoot it, but did not fully eject the empty shell.

Comment

I'm MOSTLY going to be shooting 00 buck and slugs through it, since it will be a defensive weapon.

On the rare occasion I do go to a skeet shoot or something, it sounds easy to just switch out the gas piston (on the SLP, which is where I'm leaning, but like to hear about the 11-87 as well).

Comment

Originally posted by Till View Post
            I'm MOSTLY going to be shooting 00 buck and slugs through it, since it will be a defensive weapon.

On the rare occasion I do go to a skeet shoot or something, it sounds easy to just switch out the gas piston (on the SLP, which is where I'm leaning, but like to hear about the 11-87 as well).
            Won't you want to switch barrels, too?
            Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
            Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Till,

All my defensive/tactical firearms stays as defensive/tactical firearms. My sporting guns stays as such.

Once you start going back and forth, margin of error also increases as well. If you really are serious about having a defense gun, I'd just have it as a dedicated defense gun and if you are planning to do lots of sporting clays/trap/skeet, then I'll look into purchasing a dedicated sporting gun. Just my opinion.

Comment

From reading over the FNH site, no, I don't have to switch barrels.

Originally posted by M1garand View Post
                Till,

All my defensive/tactical firearms stays as defensive/tactical firearms. My sporting guns stays as such.

Once you start going back and forth, margin of error also increases as well. If you really are serious about having a defense gun, I'd just have it as a dedicated defense gun and if you are planning to do lots of sporting clays/trap/skeet, then I'll look into purchasing a dedicated sporting gun. Just my opinion.

True. I can just use my other pump for sporting purposes.

Comment

From reading over the FNH site, no, I don't have to switch barrels.
                  I do not believe so either. I was brushing up on the rules for gun usage when considering using my Saiga 12. Since I was considering the use of a Saiga Rule 6 was a PITA unless I wanted to replace the itty bitty bolt locking nub. Also I forgot where it is in the rules, but I was told that semi-automatic shotguns must not go back to battery when they fire the last round.

Magazine use would have been restricted for me as well with a Saiga to a 2 round mag. So to avoid usage of rule #3 I sold my saiga due to lack of skeet use and shell deformation in the home D role.

http://www.nssa-nsca.org/wp-content/...2010-02-06.pdf

G. SAFETY PRECAUTIONS (skipping the silly ones)

2. No gun shall be loaded until the shooter is on the shooting
                  station. Loaded is considered as having any part of any
                  shell in any gun.

3. Throwing of a gun will result in immediate expulsion
                  from the shoot.

6. When not on the shooting station, the gun shall be carried
                  with breech open and empty. Pumps and automatics will
                  have the bolt open. Fixed breech (double barrels including
                  over-and-unders and side-by-sides) will be broken
                  open and empty.

8. During the shooting of single targets, management may
                  permit the loading of two shells. However, no one will
                  be allowed to load two shells to shoot their last singles
                  target on any station. Management cannot compel the
                  loading of two shells in the shooting of singles.

9. The loading of more than two shells in the gun shall not
                  be allowed at any time.

11. A shooter will not be permitted to use a gun with a
                  release-type trigger unless the referee and the other
                  members of the squad are notified. Extra caution must
                  be exercised if the gun is given to a referee who is unfamiliar
                  with its operation. Guns with release type triggers
                  must be clearly marked with designated safety stickers.
                  Release trigger stickers, with instructions on placement,
                  are available from NSSA Headquarters. Please call or
                  write to Membership Services.

This is a lot of text that basically says... Bring a double barrel or it will be a hassle for you to shoot skeet officially.

Yes I understand that we are not discussing a Saiga here, but a lot of the headaches *minus magazine use* are the same with any semi-auto shotgun.
                  The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Originally posted by jcioccke
                  After I hit it, I would be disgusted with her

Comment

Originally posted by 10-7Alpha View Post
                    3. Throwing of a gun will result in immediate expulsion
                    from the shoot.
                    Best rule I have ever seen.
                    Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

Comment

We have very informal skeet shoots.

Throw the clay in the air, shoot them. Nobody cares what shotgun you have, or how many rounds it holds.

Comment

We have very informal skeet shoots.

Throw the clay in the air, shoot them. Nobody cares what shotgun you have, or how many rounds it holds.
                        Yeah same here, I just spent the weekend with two clay launchers and an 870 wing master.
                        The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Originally posted by jcioccke
                        After I hit it, I would be disgusted with her

Comment

I OWNED a Remington 1187P (Police Version). It fired 00 Buckshot and even managed recoil slug (department issue) pretty well. I would also use the same shotgun for 3 gun competitions. I wanted to use the same shotgun I carried in my trunk so I could become more familiar with it. The 1187P does TERRIBLE with light loads. I was using 7 1/2 birdshot. If I used super high velocity it would do better but still not reliable. I sold it and picked me up a reliable 870 that I can trust to shoot anything I feed it. Now I can train with what I carry. After such a poor experience with the semiauto shotguns, I'll stick to my pump guns.
                          All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to stand by and do nothing.

Comment

That was my fear, the 11-87P just doesn't cycle light loads.

Looks like it'll be the SLP.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6209 users online. 344 members and 5865 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X