Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Pistol for CCW? (Female)

Hello All,

I am new to this forum so let me tell a little bit about myself and then I will ask my questions. First off I recently graduated from GRCC's Police Academy in November and GVSU with my Bachelors in December. I am now looking for police officer positions in Michigan. Very Hard, but I can't wait to be a cop.

Alright, So I have been doing lots of research on sub-compact guns for CCW. I haven't been able to shoot most of the ones I liked yet, but I am hoping you guys can give me some more feedback and ideas. I am a women so it is a little hard for me to conceal with clothing and body style. I am very athletic and stand 5'4''. I am looking for either a 9mm or .40cal. I dont really like the .380 because of power, even though they are small and thin like I like.

I love Glocks, but I think the G26 is way to thick for me. . So far I have looked at the Walther PPS and I like the look and style of the gun. I have yet to fire it or see how it feels in my hand. (Would like something with external safties...this doesnt have any.) I like how the Walther PPS is similar to the Glocks style. I also like the H&K P2000s, It is a little more expensive, but I like it. I have shot a full sized H&K and loved the nice trigger pull. I like the look of the Kimber Ultra Carry, but that is about it. (not sure how is shoots or anything) I want something that is the real deal, but also something small and thin. (I dont want a revolver!) I have shot the Ruger SR9c and I liked it, but wouldn't mind something a little smaller. Anyone shoot the new LC9?

I would appreciate everyone's opinions. Please let me know about these guns and any other ones you think would be a good fit for me. I am planning on going to shoot a few this weekend. Also holsters and carry positions would be great too!

Thanks, KJ
    cosain agus fóin

Hello. Have you consider .38 Special revolver such as J Frame S&W?
    If you absolutely have to have it with an external safety, I'd look into S&W M&P series as they do offer those models with external safeties.

Kahr, Glock will not have external safeties, so probably not what you want. I have an H&K USP compact, but it really is not all that compact.

Rohrbaugh R9 series are great, but then again, it doesn't have an external safety.

I don't have any experience with Ruger SR9C or LC9, so I can't comment on it.

You can look into 1911 based compact models in 9mm or 40 S&W models, which might fit your need.

Comment

Thanks M1garand for you reply and feedback.

It doesn't have to have an external safety, but I wouldn't mind if it did. I haven't really looked into any 1911 based compact so i will have to do that.
      cosain agus fóin

Comment

Kahr CW series, offered in both 9mm and .40. The single stack allows for a slim profile, making it ideal for concealment on a person with a slender frame.

I carried a 4" 1911 before I made the switch to the Kahr, and while I love my 1911, the Kahr is so much lighter and more comfortable in an IWB holster.

The Kahr CW's can be had for approxmiately $400, btw

Comment

I was thinking along the same lines. Compact 1911, very thin and easy to conceal or a revolver like a Lady Smith. Kel-Tec makes a few decent models of pistols as well. Your method of carry would make a difference in your selection of firearm as well. I strongly recommend carrying the firearm on your person whenever possible. Last thing you want is for your purse to get snatched with a loaded gun in it. :-(

Good luck in your search.
          Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by policetrack View Post
            Hello All,

I am new to this forum so let me tell a little bit about myself and then I will ask my questions. First off I recently graduated from GRCC's Police Academy in November and GVSU with my Bachelors in December. I am now looking for police officer positions in Michigan. Very Hard, but I can't wait to be a cop.

Alright, So I have been doing lots of research on sub-compact guns for CCW. I haven't been able to shoot most of the ones I liked yet, but I am hoping you guys can give me some more feedback and ideas. I am a women so it is a little hard for me to conceal with clothing and body style. I am very athletic and stand 5'4''. I am looking for either a 9mm or .40cal. I dont really like the .380 because of power, even though they are small and thin like I like.

I love Glocks, but I think the G26 is way to thick for me. . So far I have looked at the Walther PPS and I like the look and style of the gun. I have yet to fire it or see how it feels in my hand. (Would like something with external safties...this doesnt have any.) I like how the Walther PPS is similar to the Glocks style. I also like the H&K P2000s, It is a little more expensive, but I like it. I have shot a full sized H&K and loved the nice trigger pull. I like the look of the Kimber Ultra Carry, but that is about it. (not sure how is shoots or anything) I want something that is the real deal, but also something small and thin. (I dont want a revolver!) I have shot the Ruger SR9c and I liked it, but wouldn't mind something a little smaller. Anyone shoot the new LC9?

I would appreciate everyone's opinions. Please let me know about these guns and any other ones you think would be a good fit for me. I am planning on going to shoot a few this weekend. Also holsters and carry positions would be great too!

Thanks, KJ
            I just wanted to throw this YOUTUBE video out there for you. You will obviously have a preference of weight,thickness,length, etc of a CCW gun, but I thought this is a good video for a woman so they can see they have more options and do not have to worry about the size of the gun like most women (in my experience) believe they do so they can still dress normal. This is a youtube video of a thin, in shape female that can hide even bigger guns while still dressing like a young attractive female.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogGBPVk5GQk

The beginning is kind of boring just talking about the holsters and guns, but if you watch the whole thing you'll see that most of it actually shows the holsters/guns being put to use with different dressing options. I think it would be informational for a female, and for you perv guys out there you can enjoy the video because she's kinda hot!
            Last edited by MiGuy; 05-03-2011, 10:24 PM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

My girlfriend carries a Glock 26 in a crossbreed supertuck now and she loves it. She wears it at about 4 o'clock right behind her hip. Kahr also just came out with their CM9 very recently which is a super compact 9mm that looks very promising.
              Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

Comment

Thanks M1garand for you reply and feedback.

It doesn't have to have an external safety, but I wouldn't mind if it did. I haven't really looked into any 1911 based compact so i will have to do that.
                If you can live without the external safety, then you just widened your choices. Also, what is your experience and comfort level with firearms?

Kahr might be a good option as it does offer compact models for various calibers. One small issue I have with Kahr is that it has a trigger pull that is similar to a staple gun. This can be smooth out, but that's just an extra work.

If you don't mind .45 ACP , you can go with a Glock 36, which is a single stack model.

Kel-Tec offers few products that fits your need and priced right. Downside to Kel-Tec products.... well, rough outside, need bit of break in period and reliability can be questionable according to some folks. I personally do not own Kel-Tec, but have fired quite few models and have not had any issues with them.

Para ord makes few compact models (with LDA action) in 9mm, which is based off of 1911 design. It is double action and has external safety.

My favorite is Rohrbaugh R9 series (I own a R9S model). It is smallest 9mm pistol you can find in the market. Before I selected my pocket carry/BUG, I tested out several guns and Rohbaugh was the one of few guns that did not have ANY malfunctions. It is double action only, but the trigger is deliciously smooth and due to heavy recoil spring and due to weight of the gun (it's all steel), it handling recoil very well. Extremely slim and small and yet holds 6 + 1 of 9mm. Downside to it is it is pricy and not an average gun you'd run into at a local gun shop. I personally have visited the factory and I am very impressed by their customer service and workmanship.

S&W M&P series offer compact pistols which happens to be bit more ergomomical than a Glock.

Sig offers few lines, but I find Sig to be bit heavier and bulkier side than other guns. I like Sigs for duty guns, but don't think it fits what you are looking for. However, P250 sub compact and P290 should be given some consideration.

I'd also give serious consideration to revolvers as these are bit simpler to operate than most auto loaders.

Comment

Thank you everyone so far.

MiGuy - I actually have seen that video. I like how she uses different holsters, however I think I will be getting only one holster position it most likely at my 4 o'clock. I also would like to keep it in the same position most of the time so I know exactly where it is and how I draw it from practice in case the time comes when I need to pull it.

XD - I have heard a lot about Kahr and I am going to go check them out this weekend at my local gun shop. Thanks for the input.

M1garand - I graduated from the police academy in November and received the Top Shot award out of the academy. In the academy we became very good with the Glock 17, AR-15, and the Shotguns. I personally loved the AR-15 and the Glock! At the end of firearm training we had a few fun days and got to try out some of our instructors pistols. I shot both the glock 26, and SR9c. I liked them both, but liked the thinness of the Sr9c compared to the thick double stack glock.

What have you heard about Walther pss? So far by looking at them and reading about them they are nice guns. I know they are a little on the expensive side, but I don't mind saving up. From what I researched I like that it is similar to the glock in safety features. Do any of you know about it's accuracy and if it is dependable?

I also like the H&K series, have shot a few and I like the trigger pull. Anyone have any information on the H&K p200s? Again I know it is expensive, but any info would help.

Finally, I fell in LOVE with the look and feel of the Kimber Solo when I was at the my local gun shop. I haven't been able to shoot it yet and was planning on trying it out this weekend. I love the look...very sharp and handsome. I loved how thin is was too. Anyone have any info on the reliability of this gun? I heard it needs regular cleaning compared to the glocks. I don't mind this, just wondering. It seems to be just what I want, any information on this new little pistol would be great.

Thanks for the help guys, hopefully I will have a police job soon. (which might dictate what gun I can carry off duty, until then your advice would be greatly appreciated.)

KJ
                  cosain agus fóin

Comment

Sig P239.....small / easy to conceal and effective.
                    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by _XD_ View Post
                      Kahr CW series, offered in both 9mm and .40. The single stack allows for a slim profile, making it ideal for concealment on a person with a slender frame.

I carried a 4" 1911 before I made the switch to the Kahr, and while I love my 1911, the Kahr is so much lighter and more comfortable in an IWB holster.

The Kahr CW's can be had for approxmiately $400, btw
                      What's your opinion on the CM9? No external safety, but super light and 9mm.
                      "Character is someone you are when no one is watching."

Comment

Originally posted by deputy x 2 View Post
                        Sig P239.....small / easy to conceal and effective.
                        I have one of these and love it, it's just a tad heavy expecially if you're carrying it all day.
                        "Character is someone you are when no one is watching."

Comment

I love Glocks, but I think the G26 is way to thick for me.

The Kel-tec PF-9 (left) Glock 27 (right).

Not my holster, but I do own this weapon and enjoy it.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Originally posted by jcioccke
                          After I hit it, I would be disgusted with her

Comment

Finally, I fell in LOVE with the look and feel of the Kimber Solo when I was at the my local gun shop. I haven't been able to shoot it yet and was planning on trying it out this weekend. I love the look...very sharp and handsome. I loved how thin is was too. Anyone have any info on the reliability of this gun? I heard it needs regular cleaning compared to the glocks. I don't mind this, just wondering. It seems to be just what I want, any information on this new little pistol would be great.

Thanks for the help guys, hopefully I will have a police job soon. (which might dictate what gun I can carry off duty, until then your advice would be greatly appreciated.)

KJ
                            A field strip and cleaning does not take long, and I really wonder about people who brag about not cleaning the firearm they might be betting their life on.

Bill
                            Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

My wife likes the revolver. She enjoys seeing the little thing go around as she pulls the trigger.
                              I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6438 users online. 367 members and 6071 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X