300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smith & Wesson M&P 15 "Sport" AR-15

Is this rifle decent for patrol use? I'm attracted to it for the price, a local shop has them for less than $650. It does NOT have a chrome lined barrel, dust cover or forward assist. Other than that, it doesn't seem much different at all (The sport has a 1:8 barrel twist, the non-sport has a 1:9 twist) than the non-sport version, which is $300 more.

Here are the full specs.
    "He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still"

-Lao Tzu

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

-Reinhold Niebuhr

I'd rather pay bit more and get the one with chrome lined barrel as it does have better resistance to corrosion and adds bit more life to the barrel. 1/8 twist barrel is good for 62 grain or higher bullet, but will give you decent accuracy out with 55 grain.

If you are on a strict budget, you can get a decent carbine from Spike's Tactical at $800, which will have more features than the one you are considering to purcahse.

Comment

Don't buy it, they are cheap plinkers. If it is for duty use, you can easily get a BCM for a little under $1000 that you can trust your life on. If you can afford $650 now just save up a little longer and get a rifle that won't crap out on you when you need it most.
      Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

Comment

I dunno if they still have them but CMMG had a bunch of mixed pieces AR's for @$600 or so...but they had dust covers, forward assists, etc...unsure of the chrome lined barrels
        "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
        The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
        sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
        Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

Bravo Company is out of stock, and that appears to be a common theme. Spikes' $800 rifles are backordered 2 months, and they don't have chrome lined barrels either, so they're out. I found nothing below a grand at CMMG, and I thought they were supposed to be a lower tier brand anyway?

I could afford to drop more on a rifle...I just have a tough time justifying it when the specs are so close. CDNN's catalog has non-sport M&P 15's for $85x (Flat top, $799 A2)...but as far as I can tell that is only for the chrome lined barrel, dust cover and forward assist. Between the three options...the chrome lined barrel is the only thing that makes me wonder. From what I've read though, the melonite coating Smith used on this rifle is very respectable.

Really not trying to be a smart ***...but if this sport model is a cheap plinker, what makes it so? The barrel lining? The rest of the M&P line seems to be well accepted, is the price and "sport" label turning people away?
          "He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still"

-Lao Tzu

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

-Reinhold Niebuhr

Comment

When M16 was introduced it did not have features like chrome lined barrels and forward assist. Our troops in Vietnam had issues with M16 and then M16A1 with forward assist and chrome lined barrel were introduced (along with new propellent to the cartridge) and solve some of the original problems that our troops encountered.

There is a pros and cons to chrome lined barrel VS non chrome lined barrel.

Chrome lined barrel is bit more forgiving in harsher condition with moisture and the life of barrel is longer. Down side to it is you do loose bit of accuracy and cost is up a bit.

Wilson Combat offers their AR variants without chrome lined barrels. If you are going to maintain it properly and not planning to go to the war in the jungle, then non-chrome line should be fine.

BTW, here's the spec from Spike's Tactical for their LE carbine:
            Features
            •Spike's Tactical 16", 1:7 Twist, Mil-spec Barrel
            •M4 Barrel Profile, Carbine Length Gas System
            •F-marked A2 Front Sight Base, .750" Diameter Gas Seat
            •Spike's Tactical Mil-spec M16 Bolt Carrier Group
            •M4 Double Heat Shield Handguards
            •A2 Flash Hider
            •Mil-spec Lower Parts
            •ST-T2 Tungsten Buffer
            •ST M4 Stock

EDIT*** correction, it is chromoly barrel with hard chrome bore and chamber..

Also, as to forward assist goes, it is a good feature to have, but not totally necessary if you are not planning to shoot thousands of dirty ammo and not clean it properly. In 15 years that I've shot M16/AR Variants in both Military/LE and civilian environment, I can honestly say I only have used forward assist twice in that time. When you need it, it is a great feature to have.

Dust cover is a great thing to have as without it, your bolt carrier group will be expose to open and it can attract and collect dust and other particles that can potentially cause malfunction.

Few years ago, DPMS came out with affordable AR model that did not have a forward assist and dust cover. It worked, but it was not intended to be used in harsh condition. It was truly a no-frills basic rifle for people who only wanted to use it at the range and light work with it.

You can also check out DEL-TON for their deals as well. Del-Ton puts out great products as well.

I've been certified AR armorer for past 3 years and have worked on quite few of these rifles. Trust me on this one. Spend few hundred more and in a long run, you'd be A LOT happier.

If you have any specific questions or concerns, please feel free to PM or ask me.
            Last edited by M1garand; 05-04-2011, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Good info...you are actually the first to bring up the dust cover. I'd suppose that while stored in a patrol car, the dust cover could be necessary.

I'm not totally convinced the chrome lined barrel is a huge issue, nor the forward assist. I keep my guns perfectly clean...they don't get shot without being cleaned the same day, period.

I'm going to hit a few shops in the next few days. If I can find a good deal on a non-sport version of the M&P 15, I will probably jump on it. I shot a range-rental Sport today and was impressed, so if the non-sport model is that much better...I'd be sold for the right deal.

-Lao Tzu

-Reinhold Niebuhr

Comment

I scrapped the Sport idea because of you guys. I just finalized arrangements and my Rock River entry operator 2 ships tomorrow morning. This one should be a helluva gun...and I'm getting it from a dealer that had it in stock so I don't have to wait the God awful build time that I would have to if I bought directly from RRA.

-Lao Tzu

-Reinhold Niebuhr

Comment

Good call. The "Sport" model is basically the same cheap plinker as the DPMS Oracle rifle, which M1Garand described. Definitely not worth the money.
                  "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
                  -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

hous409,

Good choice! Enjoy it and show some pictures when it arrives!

Comment

I can't wait to shoot it!

**Pics are too big I guess...**

Last edited by haus409; 05-13-2011, 03:10 PM.

-Lao Tzu

-Reinhold Niebuhr

Comment

Haus,

That's a beauty! Now go baptize that rifle by shooting some lead down range.

Comment

thats nice
                          "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
                          The Tick

"Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
                          sanitizer

"and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
                          Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6225 users online. 360 members and 5865 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X