300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dedcated 22lr AR15 upper half. Who's got good deals

So, Im looking to shoot the inexpensive 22lr for cheaper training/fun. I dont know anything about 22lr Ar's but a guy at work recommended the CMMG. In looking around the CMMG upper is $350. Seems expensive. A full 10/22 is $ 265. Anyways I would like the best deal possible without sacrificing quality. Any ideas? Im not loyal to any brand of maker.

If anybody has "been there / done that" I would appreciate some input. Thanks All.

Be Safe.
    Last edited by bronco1500; 05-04-2011, 01:28 PM.

Yes 22lr kit set ups cost more than buying a whole gun. If looking to save money you do not need a dedicated barreled upper, the CMMG conversion kit will drop into your existing barreled uppper you have. So the CMMG bolt kit and a .22lr magazine is all you need.

Comment

I am hesitant to use the conversion kits. A fellow deputy "gummed" up his 556 upper with excess lead and gunk. It was so bad that it would no longer chamber a 556. I would hate for that to happen when my life (or some innocent persons life) was on the line.
      So, I guess Im asking....Who has the best deal on the cmmg 22lr upper half?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
      Thx

Comment

On a quick search of my suppliers, it seems $350 is the going rate for the CMMG.

Originally posted by bronco1500 View Post
        I am hesitant to use the conversion kits. A fellow deputy "gummed" up his 556 upper with excess lead and gunk. It was so bad that it would no longer chamber a 556.
        ^^^^^^This could easily be prevented by simply cleaning the rifle after he was done firing it - something that should be done anyway.........
        Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
        --Winston Churchill--

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSheriff View Post
          On a quick search of my suppliers, it seems $350 is the going rate for the CMMG.

^^^^^^This could easily be prevented by simply cleaning the rifle after he was done firing it - something that should be done anyway.........
          My thoughts exactly. There's no excuse for not keeping your guns clean, I hate cleaning them too, but it's pretty damned important.

I can't find any .22lr uppers for less than the $350 range. For a plinker, it'd personally just pick up one of those toy Mossberg "tactical" .22's, or a standard 10/22 or something along those lines.
          "He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still"

-Lao Tzu

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

-Reinhold Niebuhr

Comment

Don't overlook Tactical Solutions. A bit pricey, but an excellent bit of kit. It will outlive your children.

Nutnfancy has done some Run & Guns with the CMMG and Tactical Solutions upper. I think he's tabletop reviewed the CMMG bolt as well.
            "Just when you think you know all the answers, we change the questions."
            -"Rowdy" Roddy Piper

Comment

I've looked into getting a dedicated .22 LR upper for my AR and still in the market for it. Only reason why I want it is that it will allow me to practice indoors more often and all the control stays the same as its big brother.

You might want to look into Uramax/Colt or S&W M&P in .22 LR ARs as those guns are priced slightly higher than an upper.

Comment

Originally posted by bronco1500 View Post
                I am hesitant to use the conversion kits. A fellow deputy "gummed" up his 556 upper with excess lead and gunk. It was so bad that it would no longer chamber a 556. I would hate for that to happen when my life (or some innocent persons life) was on the line.
                So, I guess Im asking....Who has the best deal on the cmmg 22lr upper half?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
                Thx
                I sorta did that and ended up blowing the muzzle break off the gun sending it 50 feet downrange into the backstop...

OK. I took a few people shooting, and let one of the 15 year olds who had shot with me before use the AR. I put the conversion kit in, gave him a brick of federal .22lr and a few 27 round mags, then told him to have fun while I worked with another who has never shot a handgun before, so I was more conserned about him for safety than the kid with a rifle.

OK, things went fine for an hour...and all my .22lr was gone.

So, I figure, what the hell.

Drop the 5.56mm bolt back in and put 5 rounds of frangible (indoor range, frangible centerfire rifle only...) in the gun to play myself.

Everything went fine...

But then I took the rifle from my shoulder, and...

Um...my muzzle break?

Apparently, the soot and lead fragments of about 500 rounds of .22lr reacted...poorly with the frangible 5.56 and by the time the 1st round was through the barrel, it was a 4000fps cloud of hot dust which promptly left the muzzle and expanded.

The hard steel pin holding the muzzle break on didn't secure it enough to stop this cloud from ripping the break completely off the rifle.

Bushmaster took care of me, and asked that after I use the .22lr bolt, please clean the rifle well before shooting .223/5.56

As to cleaning the gun, I just use foaming bore cleaner, break cleaner (non-clorinated), wire brushes and the normal stuff.

RE: I would hate for that to happen when my life (or some innocent persons life) was on the line.

I'd hate to be that person who's life is on the line if the guy with the rifle wasn't practicing enough because of ammo cost.

Extra time cleaning the rifle is worth more than your own death due to lack of practice. .22lr kits have their place if you are going to invest the extra 10 minutes cleaning the gun.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3012 users online. 147 members and 2865 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X