300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Springfield M14 A1

Shot my M14 at the range this weekend and had a whoops. Shooting open sights and decided to put the scope on (placed on with thumb screws) not knowing the screw went in to far. So when I fired it, it kept the bolt locked forward. Could I have hurt the gas system? I unscrewed the scope and found the screw buggered but nothing else.

???????????????????

M1A?

M14?

The gas system is under the barrel.

You're screwing a scope to what? The forward handguard?

Who installed your scope? A mechanic? Did they drill completely through the receiver?

Pictures?
    Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

Originally posted by OneAdam12 View Post
      ???????????????????

M1A?

M14?

The gas system is under the barrel.

You're screwing a scope to what? The forward handguard?

Who installed your scope? A mechanic? Did they drill completely through the receiver?

Pictures?
      Sorry but LMAO.

World_So_Cold

Comment

There are two ways to install scope on M1A (or M14/M21 if you are in a military). you can screw in the mount to the side of the receiver (but after shooting several rounds, this would come loose easily. From what I understand, military armorers used to either crimp the screw end or weld it in place) or remove the strip clip gude and get a Smith Enterprise mount to get mounted on.

If you purchased a Mil-Spec mount that gets screw onto the side of the receiver, there is no way that screw will get far in enough to make a contact with the bolt system.

Comment

It is a M14 model A1. The scope screws on to the side of the receiver with two thumb screws on the opposite side of the receiver from the operating rod. Came that way factory so you can take the scope& scope mount off all at once. Only problem was they dont have a stop on the screw depth so it goes all the way though the receiver and in behind the bolt. You cant see the screw come though. The only way you would know it is in to far is if you were to pull back on the bolt. I did not know that at the time.
          I know the gas system is under barrel. What I was asking was since the operating rod/bolt were locked forward, do you think it might have built up to much pressure in the gas system?
          sorry but no way of posting pictures

Comment

Is this it?

Comment

It's very unlikely to have damaged the gas system from a single shot, but you should probably have it checked out by a knowledgeable gunsmith. The system is designed to tap off a specific amount of gas and that isn't enough to "blow out" anything. The excess gas just goes out the muzzle with the projectile.
              "Son, you are a walkin' violation of the laws of nature...But we don't enforce them laws."

I am just a country boy tryin' to make some sense
              But I'd like to ask the Congress, I'd like to ask the President
              "Can ya tell me where all the money went?"
              We might not be broke but we're badly bent!

The Tractors -- "Badly Bent" from the album Owner's Manual

"Common sense. So rare, it should be a super power." Exodus 259

Comment

Like HeadDoc said if you have doubts, have a gunsmith take a look at it.

But personally if you don't see physical damage anywhere on the bolt or nearby, I doubt anything is really wrong. If the gas system was overpressurized enough to blow something, it would have REALLY blown something and you would have almost certainly noticed.

Comment

Jarrod - you've likely destroyed the rifle.

You can drop it off at my office M-F bet 0900-1500 and we'll, uhm, dispose (yeah, that's the ticket!) of it for you!
                  "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Adam 12 that is the rifle only mine has a stainless barrel. Thanks everyone for the help on this. I cant see any physical damage of any kind other than feeling like an idiot for making the mistake.

Kieth somthing tells me that your idea of destroying it was......well.... nice try. LOL

Comment

Hey, Keith was just trying to help... seemed like a very generous offer to me!

Comment

Well you said it was an M14 which is selectable fire to full automatic. Correct? If correct, this would make it American made.
                        If not correct, it is a semi auto version and there were Taiwanese? knockoffs made. I'm thinking Polytech and Norinco. Does that fit your situation?
                        Early Norinco's had a receiver heat treat problem which stopped the importation to the U.S.

Some Chicom 14's have soft bolts causing numerous problems. Some the firing pins don't retract at all after a while.
                        Some the headspace wears out prematurely again because of the soft bolts. Some hammers fail because of poor heat treating.

You said the thread of the thumbscrew was buggard. You also said you don't think it was too long so as to protrude from the inside of the receiver. I would try it again with the exact same setup. If it repeats the malfunction, take it to a gunsmith.
                        Last edited by OneAdam12; 04-29-2011, 01:50 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4013 users online. 219 members and 3794 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X