300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shotgun Ammo

For those carrying shotguns on duty and/or for personal defense, what type of buckshot do you use? I am not as interested in slugs, but I am curious what type of buckshot shells are being carried by departments. I recently purchased a used 870 police magnum and am just looking for suggestions. My gun will be used primarily for home defense, but will also be used some for patrol as a reserve deputy. Thanks!

Federal Tactical 00 Buckshot. It's a reduced recoil load and will pattern very nicely with the new wad.

3" shells are not needed. Reduced recoil 00 will still fully penetrate a cars bodywork.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
    8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog F4i View Post
      Federal Tactical 00 Buckshot. It's a reduced recoil load and will pattern very nicely with the new wad.

3" shells are not needed. Reduced recoil 00 will still fully penetrate a cars bodywork.
      same here

Comment

Not only that, but with an 18.5" barrel, magnum loads spew a lot of fire out the front. Not super-efficient.
        There are basically two kinds of people in this world. Those that believe in the moon landing and those that don't.
        http://unistat76.blogspot.com/

Comment

^^^This.

I'm also a fan of #4 Buck for home defense, but its really hard to beat 00.
          Originally posted by kontemplerande
          Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Someone makes a load that consists of three 00 buck pellets on top of a 12 ga slug.
            Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
            Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
              Someone makes a load that consists of three 00 buck pellets on top of a 12 ga slug.
              Federal, I think. Under their Critical Defense line. It was a really common defensive/tactical load for a long time. It used to be called a "buck and ball" load during the Revolutionary War.
              There are basically two kinds of people in this world. Those that believe in the moon landing and those that don't.

Comment

We use 000 buck, and keep the side saddle full of slug.

Size Nominal diameter Pellets/oz
                TriBall (12 Ga.) .60" (15.24 mm ) 3/4 ounce per pellet
                0000 ("quadruple-ought") .38" (9.7 mm) 5
                000 ("triple-ought") .36" (9.1 mm) 6
                00 ("double-ought") .33" (8.4 mm) 8
                0 ("ought") .32" (8.1 mm) 9
                1 .30" (7.6 mm) 10
                2 .27" (6.9 mm) 15
                3 .25" (6.4 mm) 18
                4 .24" (6 mm) 21

You give up one pellet depending on manufacturer, to get the larger .36 000 buck load. It seems the pattern is tighter too.
                Last edited by KenW.; 04-27-2011, 01:09 PM.
                I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                  Winchester....

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat104567580

Comment

Originally posted by phillydog07 View Post
                    Winchester....
                    There ya go.

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Comment

We carry federal Tacticle Buck (2 rounds) followed by copper solids. We also have bean bag rounds issued and carried in our duty bag but, there is a bit of "messing around" before they can be loaded.

Comment

Federal Tactical 00Buck 2-3/4" with flite-control wad here also. We can put all pellets inside of a pie plate at 25yds with 14" Wilson Combat Professionals (M870s). That's pretty impressive for buckshot. That stuff does kick like a mule, though.
                          "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
                          -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

The Federal Tactical. The eight pellets vs. nine in the other really makes a difference, eliminates that one "flyer" that you would always seem to have with the nine pellet loads.

Comment

Federal LE-133 (8 pellet) or LE-132 (9 pellet) reduced recoil 00 buck, or Federal F-127 (9 pellet) full power 00.

Alternatively, I really like the F-127 (8 pellet) Triple Aught buck, which is what I used for home defense.

All will stay inside a Q-Target at 50 feet, so I'm happy for any in my M-500 for home defense.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6151 users online. 345 members and 5806 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X