300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you're issued an M&P

I was curious which departments issue it for duty. And if you've had any issues with them regarding breakages etc....

Are they as rugged as the Glocks and Sigs we use?
    An eagle does not capture flys.

I'm assuming you are talking about M&P pistol lines. If you look at S&W website, they have listed badges of major departments utilizing M&P for duty usage. There were some stories about how LASD had adapted it and then dropped it due to some reason.

I personally have been using Glocks and Sigs,which have been nothing but blessing in my part, but I am not going to dismiss M&P.

Comment

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...SW-M-amp-P-9mm

Here's the link that discussed in regard to M&P and LASD.

Comment

We are issued Glock's but allowed to carry personal weapons if we qualify with them. I carry my G22 on duty simply because I want to be able to swap mags with my partner and our sister agency if the stuff hits the fan. Off duty and when going to training, I only carry the M&P. I have had mine since 2005 (when I turned 21) and have never had a jam, even with crap ammo. I love how it feels in my hand, the way it shoots, and that dirt and grime doesn't mess it up.

And FWIW, I owned a Sig and HATED it. Too heavy and the trigger sucked.
        Originally posted by Ceridwen
        Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

Our issue gun is a Glock of some sort, but we're allowed personal guns if we want. Our armorer, whom I trust with my life, carries an M&P. That says a lot for me!

That being said; I'll stick to my XDs.
          I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

I've owned one since November '06 and it's getting ready for a second trip back to Smith for failure to fire. I'm fed up, probably going to switch to a Glock or Sig.

Comment

Originally posted by Firestone View Post
              I've owned one since November '06 and it's getting ready for a second trip back to Smith for failure to fire. I'm fed up, probably going to switch to a Glock or Sig.
              My M&Ps have been flawless. Boringly reliable (if such a thing is possible!) over 10k rnds and counting. First polymer gun I have owned that was able to replace my beloved 1911s. The design has had some (generally minor) growing pains, but S&W has been very responsive and quick to address and fix which is much more then we can say for some other companies who claimed their gun issues were "user error" and lost many accounts from PDs due to that (read stupid) position.
              - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

I'm a Cadet with one of the largest SOs here in Texas, and the M&Ps on the approved list.

I came from shooting a Sig P220 and it was a great pistol, but I liked the M&P better.

The ONLY problems I've ever with my M&P40 were with frangible ammo - usually feeding issues or misfires. I'm not up to Mr. Brinks round count (slightly over 1,200) but I've never had an issue with HP/FMJ ammo and that's using PMC, Blazer, WWB, Speer, Federal etc. So being my failures have been limited to frangible ammo...I feel confident that it'll do it's job when called upon.

We have a FS 45, Mid 45, Pro 5" .40, Pro 4.25" .40 and 3 FS .40s in my class. And only the .40s had problems with the frangible, the .45s ran perfectly fine. Once my tax return comes an X300 and Apex parts will be on order!
                Exceed the Expectation

Comment

Page 01 to: (xasf) from: Brc4 01/26/10 09:52:53

sheriffs department broadcast announcement
                  training bureau
                  weapons training

to: All sworn personnel

subject: Smith & wesson pistols re-approved for optional use

the following smith and wesson m&p [military and police] pistols have been re-approved as department authorized optional handguns for on-duty and off-duty use by sworn personnel.

For on-duty use:
                  Smith and wesson m&p 9mm pistol (17 round magazine) without magazine disconnect and without manual thumb safety.

For off-duty/backup use:
                  Smith and wesson m&p 9mm compact (12 round magazine) without magazine disconnect and without manual thumb safety.

Smith and wesson m&p pistols in 45 caliber are not authorized.

Sworn personnel who completed training to carry the smith & wesson m&p pistol prior to april 28, 2009 must bring their m&p pistol to biscailuz armory during february 2010, for installation of a new extractor and test-firing prior to carrying that pistol on-duty or off-duty.

Sworn personnel must successfully complete an instructional and qualification course per mpp 3-01/210.05 before carrying any authorized optional pistol.

Note: The m&p pistol is different than other previously authorized smith and wesson pistols. Personnel trained on other smith and wesson pistol models must attend department mandated instruction before carrying the m&p pistol.

Extractor replacement will occur at biscailuz armory on the following dates:

02-02-2010tuesday0700-1300 hrs
                  02-04-2010thursday0700-1300 hrs
                  02-10-2010wednesday 0700-1300 hrs
                  02-11-2010thursday0700-1300 hrs
                  02-16-2010tuesday0700-1300 hrs
                  02-17-2010wednesday 0700-1300 hrs
                  02-18-2010thursday0700-1300 hrs
                  02-24-2010wednesday 0700-1300 hrs

pistol test firing must occur immediately after extractor replacement.

Further information and specifications on these smith and wesson pistols is available via the internet at: www.smith-wesson.com.

Direct any questions to sergeant david nell [email protected] at the b.c. Range
                  Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                  Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

At my department, we are not issued M&P’s but they are authorized for duty carry. I have been carrying mine for a little over two years now and have probably about three thousand rounds thru it with only one or two malfunctions and that was with using the cheapest ammo you can buy. From what I have personally seen and heard, they are just as reliable as Glock’s or Sig’s. And I’m not going to start a Glock vs M&P debate but I prefer my M&P over a Glock.
                    The more you sweat in peace-time the less you bleed in war

Comment

Just finished taking my M&P 40 through Firearms Instructor School. Two weeks of non stop shooting and the weapon was flawless with very little cleaning. I carry the M&P9c off duty and have had no issues as well. I was a tad worried when we switched to it since I had previously carried a Sigma and a 4006 (when the Sigma sucked) which I didn't care for at all. I have nothing bad to say about the M&P.

Comment

We carry the M&P .45 and have never heard of any issues with the gun.
                        yeah!

Comment

We just began to issue the M&P's for those that want to carry a pd gun. I shoot it real well and like everything about the gun...except the trigger. The trigger stacks and has a ghost reset. If I could put a Glock trigger in the M&P it would be perfect, in my eyes. The only issue that I have seen with the M&P was while attending SWAT school. When dropping a partially loaded mag (mandatory reload drills) the magazine base plates were cracking, rendering the magazine useless. I replaced my baseplates with the 10-8's so I won't have that problem. One of our guys ran his through a 2000 round training class. Didn't clean it, just lubed it up after class each day. No malfunctions. I think it's a pretty solid gun and should serve anyone well.

Comment

In my 9 years, I have been issued several different guns (Beretta 96FS, Beretta 96D, Beretta Vertec, Sig P220, S&W 5946) and now am carrying a S&W M&P40. It has been the best shooting firearm I have had, with the Sig being a close 2nd. With that said, the question you pose is subjective at best. There are Glock lovers, Sig lovers, Kel-Tec Lovers (why, is beyond me, LOL) etc. At the end of the day, whatever my dept. issues me is what I have to carry. Firearms are man made with materials that will break over a given time/condition. It would be ignorant to believe that just because you bought a Sig pistol or a Colt rifle that it will never break.

Comment

Originally posted by jws8308 View Post
                              In my 9 years, I have been issued several different guns (Beretta 96FS, Beretta 96D, Beretta Vertec, Sig P220, S&W 5946) and now am carrying a S&W M&P40. It has been the best shooting firearm I have had, with the Sig being a close 2nd. With that said, the question you pose is subjective at best. There are Glock lovers, Sig lovers, Kel-Tec Lovers (why, is beyond me, LOL) etc. At the end of the day, whatever my dept. issues me is what I have to carry. Firearms are man made with materials that will break over a given time/condition. It would be ignorant to believe that just because you bought a Sig pistol or a Colt rifle that it will never break.
                              Machines break, which is why I tell people to always take into consideration the CS of the company of the brand they are purchasing from. Most people don't bother to check on that (and the wonders of the 'net make it easy) and find out the hard way company X has crap CS when/if the gun needs work for some reason. As LE who are issued a gun, it's more a department issue vs individual issue of course.

Point being, if a person does have an issue with their M&P, S&W, with possibly the best CS in the biz, will make it right without hassle.

Me, I won't purchase from a company well known for terrible CS.
                              - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5000 users online. 299 members and 4701 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X