• .357 Sig water expansion tests(Pics)

Hit the range yesterday with some buddies and tested out the:

Glock 31 .357 Sig
    Winchester Ranger "T" SXT - 125 grain JHP
    at 8 yards into 3 gallon milk jugs

Recovered Round:

Round/Expansion:

Quarter Comparison:

Very pleased with the results; the Ranger T was listed as one of the more powerful loads for the .357 Sig. Penetrated all three gallons of water; ended in the "3rd" gallon by punching a hole in the rear wall but not fully penetrating it.

Next time I'm testing out:

.357 Sig Reminging UMC JHP > Glock 31
    .40 Remington UMC JHP > M&P
    .45 Remingon UMC JHP > Springfield 1911

I'll post the results.

Awesome How well does the 31 shoot and feel? Its probably the next toy on my list.
    "Praise the Lord and pass the Ammunition."

Comment

Originally posted by southern lawdog View Post
      Awesome How well does the 31 shoot and feel? Its probably the next toy on my list.
      Trust it enough to be my duty weapon
      Shoots and feels great; very flat projectile arch, a little whippy on the recoil, and loads perfectly every time.
      I've put a little over 1000 rounds in mine, and it hasn't even given me a hiccup, it refuses to jam. I read in a magazine that since the .357 caliber is bottlenecked in design, it's easier for pistols to load, combine that with Glock's reputation and it's a winning recipe.
      Last edited by irish21; 04-21-2011, 01:13 AM.

Comment

That's good enough for me, I wish I could carry a .357 as mine, Im still in the stone age packing a 9mm
        "Praise the Lord and pass the Ammunition."

Comment

If there is one medium favorable to bullet expansion it would probably be water. You can probably buy a 9x19 conversion that is a drop in for that gun for range practice ?? I was really hot to trot to build a colt commander in 357 sig but lost interest and sold the parts off before finishing it.

Bill
          Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

Where'd you find a 3 gallon jug?

Oh! Three 1-gallon jugs. I should have read further before I let that pop into my mind.
            I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Originally posted by willbird View Post
              If there is one medium favorable to bullet expansion it would probably be water. You can probably buy a 9x19 conversion that is a drop in for that gun for range practice ?? I was really hot to trot to build a colt commander in 357 sig but lost interest and sold the parts off before finishing it.

Bill
              Try an Advantage Arms .22lr kit for the Glock.

I just picked on up, and it's great. It's like dryfire, but with target feedback, so for drawstroke work...dam.

I love it.

Comment

Nice! I look forward to seeing your other test. I love my Glock 32.

Comment

I too have a glock 32. I love it. It shoots great. Though, I have smaller hands and it can get a bit unwieldy when trying to fire rapidly. I'd hate to be on the receiving end of it though, that's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by southern lawdog View Post
                    That's good enough for me, I wish I could carry a .357 as mine, Im still in the stone age packing a 9mm
                    Why would you say that?

- Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Originally posted by WillBrink View Post
                      Why would you say that?

That 9mm hole is a lot smaller then everyone elses

Update:
                      Tested out the Remington UMC ammo in the .357 Sig and .40S&W.
                      Both had poor results.

.40 S&W is on top
                      .357 Sig is on bottom
                      .357 Sig Winchester SXT is on right for comparison

Both had similar penetration; both seperated from lead core, both seemed to "over expand" forcing the copper petals to fold onto themselves, which makes a smaller projectile on the "exiting" wound. Although I can't prove this would happen inside a human body; it happened in 3; gallon; milk jugs. The .40 came out with a slightly larger bullet; which is to be expected since it uses a slightly larger load. 135 grains vs. 125 grains.
                      This IS a budget ammo....So results reflect that.

Comment

Next time I'll be testing the .45 ACP and .380, and hopefully different loads of .40S&W and .357sig

Comment

Originally posted by irish21 View Post
                          That 9mm hole is a lot smaller then everyone elses
                          Actually, remember .357 and 9mm are almost identical in size of hole they make. .40, .45, for sure, but .357/9mm, not so much. Difference might be in penetration, intermediate barriers, etc, but size of hole, one reason why 9mm might in fact be a better choice in some applications. As you can see, modern JHP are designed to penetrate and open at very specific depths, and temp wound cavity (according to modern terminal ballistics thinking) not a major factor with typical duty rnds used. Cool testing and pics, thanx.
                          - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5271 users online. 328 members and 4943 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X