Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budget alternative recommendations

Alrighty then,
    We have a large Gun show here on Friday, and armed only with my stealth cunning and guile have I fooled the missus into letting me go.

Now while there its full of toys, but what can people recommend as an budget alternative for the following??

1) A semi automatic rifle like a Mini 14? For example whats a decent common calibre alternative, bear in mind our regs I think are similar to California, All rifle mags are pinned to 5 rounds, pistols to 10. I have a licence for Non restricted weapons, hunting rifles, rifles with barrels over 18",but i cant buy pistols or M4 style rifles.

2) Are AR style stocks for shotguns a "taticool" accessory or actually worth it?

3) A bolt action rifle like the RUGER SCOUT which they dont sell here, but what would be a similar med calibre scout rifle?

Finally allowing for minimal to no gunsmithing knowledge, what would be a good hobby build. Such as Sks with the addition of shiny Tapco or the like accessories.

Any recommendations?
    "Well, I never had an invisible friend when I was young, but I'm sure that if I did, it would be Constable Smiley."

Mini 14 is a good choice... what is your price range?

For the shotgun stocks are you talking about collapsable stocks?

SKS can be had very cheap but i've handled them and they arn't for me....

Comment

Well the price point is not huge....we're talking 500-600.

Regarding the shotgun stocks, yes I mean the collapsible stocks.

As for SKS yeah I picked one up recently and had a play, not so sure about them, felt a little cheap.
      "Well, I never had an invisible friend when I was young, but I'm sure that if I did, it would be Constable Smiley."

Comment

Originally posted by Eastside View Post
        Well the price point is not huge....we're talking 500-600.

Regarding the shotgun stocks, yes I mean the collapsible stocks.

As for SKS yeah I picked one up recently and had a play, not so sure about them, felt a little cheap.
        I think its possible to get a M14 for that price but its gonna be used... also it will depended on what caliber you want it in? 5.56 or 7.62?

i like the adjustability of the collapsible stock but thats just me... they can be had for fairly cheap.

I'm not a fan of the SKS... i'd prefer to buy a brand new .22 semi auto 10/22 or something similar. I do have friends that have them and like them but i think they are a novelty, thats just me tho, lots of guys love them.

Comment

An SKS is a fine rifle. Most you'll find are built like tanks, and are fairly accurate (given the fact they are mostly fed com-bloc, steel-cased ammo). Lots of modifications available on the market, but I would keep it bone-stock.

Where are you?
          J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

SKS is an excellent alternative as it can be fitted with fixed 5 or 10 round internal magazines. Pricewise, you can still pick one up around $350 range. Ammo for it is plenty and cheap enough. Easy to modify or work on with simple tools and parts are also available.

Mini 14 is just an expensive plinker IMO.

Comment

Im in western Canada....anyone have any experience with carbines in a pistol caliber?

Comment

i think he is in Canada somewhere based on his definition of "Non restricted" and "restricted"

Comment

Originally posted by Eastside View Post
                  Im in western Canada....anyone have any experience with carbines in a pistol caliber?
                  damn beat me to it! which carbine are you thinking about?

Comment

here is a link to an SKS for $180 CAN

http://www.firearmscanada.com/ads/si...39mm-laminate/

Comment

1) Saiga .223
                      2) No
                      3) Find a Mosin M38 or M44, get a scout scope mount from www.scopemounts.com, and install LER scope of your choice
                      Lt. Col. Grace - "Lt. Murphey, why are you all dressed up to mack on the ladies?"
                      Me - "Sir, you just answered your own question."

Comment

I agree with murf the saiga's are a much better alternative, the sks is fun but its just not for me. I have a collapsible stock on both my moss 500 and rem 870 and love em, as for the bolt rifle Id go with a rem 700 or mossburg atr.
                        "Praise the Lord and pass the Ammunition."

Comment

Forget the "scout rifle" thing.

Red Dot Sights make scout rifles obsolete except for actions which were never intended to use optics anyway.

If you are looking for a bolt gun, it's hard to beat a Remington 700, Savage Model 10 or FN SPR.

M4 stocks on shotguns are a personal preference thing. I have not run one for long enough to decide if it's for me or not. I have run traditional shotgun stocks for a long time and I am pretty good with them.

I have yet to add a Mosin to my colection, but I was "this" close today while fondling one at the funstore.
                          "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                          8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

On the Mossberg ATR which is reasonably priced here, which would be the best most common caliber to purchase it for as a general hunting weapon. 30-06,270, or 308?? Can a bipod be added?

Saigas are prohibited here!!! damn!!

Comment

In my opinion you can not beat a 30-06 for an all around game getter gun. There is a wide avalibility of different ammo types/weights and there are few animals on the planet that can't be taken down with a 30-06. Before anyone starts, I know there are calibers that are a little flatter, or a little more powerful, but as an all purpose hunting round I don't think you can beat the 30-06. I've taken pronghorn to bull elk with mine and had nothing but one shot kills. My buddy killed a bull moose (largest animal in north america) in Alaska with his and that was a one shot deal to.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5155 users online. 178 members and 4977 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X