Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 retirement plan

Hey all,

Just currious, am I the only one who carries a 1911 on duty and could have retired by now if I got 5cents for everytime a "gun expert" in the gas station/cafe was mindful enough of gun safety to tell me that the hammer was back on my gun.

My favorite come back for this question was from a veteran officer who has carried the same 1911 for over 30years.

"Gun expert"- "Hey, why is it that anytime I see either of you guys you always have the hammer back on your guns. Isn't that dangerous?"

Veteran officer "Look buddy, I wouldn't carry this SOB around if it wasn't dangerous."

Love to hear if this happens to anyone else.

It astonishes me that people even say anything. The other officer is pretty funny considering it much less safe to lower the hammer on a chambered round than it is to just keep the gun condition one.
    Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

Comment

I've only had it happen once. It was an old guy in a gun shop, which I thought was kind of ironic. Guess I just assumed that if he's in there he'd be better informed.

Comment

Originally posted by areardon892 View Post
        Hey all,

Just currious, am I the only one who carries a 1911 on duty and could have retired by now if I got 5cents for everytime a "gun expert" in the gas station/cafe was mindful enough of gun safety to tell me that the hammer was back on my gun.

My favorite come back for this question was from a veteran officer who has carried the same 1911 for over 30years.

"Gun expert"- "Hey, why is it that anytime I see either of you guys you always have the hammer back on your guns. Isn't that dangerous?"

Veteran officer "Look buddy, I wouldn't carry this SOB around if it wasn't dangerous."

Love to hear if this happens to anyone else.
        i gotta remember that one! LOL!!!
        it is What it is

Comment

I was sitting in court one day and another officer leaned over and whispered to me "the hammer is back on your gun". I whispered back "i know, it's not any good to me if it isn't".

Our guys carried Sigs before Glocks so I guess it's just natural for them to expect to see the hammer decocked. I don't carry one on-duty but I generally get away with carrying my 1911 if I am in plainclothes at training or court.
          "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
          8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

excuse me for being sooo dumb on this but i have a question for you guys who carry the 1911... with the hammer cocked is there a possibility you could accidentally set it off if lets say you hit the hammer really hard (jumping in the car, failing down) just any sort of accident that could but a large amount of force on the hammer... thanks

Comment

Nope...........
              Hey Kidd, I've got more time On Meal than you have "On the Job"

Comment

I'm in plainclothes so don't get the look that much, but it does happen. I try and educate those unfamiliar with the 1911 in how really safe it is,say, in comparison to most DAO semi auto's. It may look scary, but IMHO (and that of many others) its safer than my other gun, an issued G-19.
                Hey Kidd, I've got more time On Meal than you have "On the Job"

Comment

In older models of 1911s, there is no firing pin block, so if the weapon is knocked from your hand, it could discharge accidentally if the hammer strikes the firing pin.
                  Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                  Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Highwaystreets1 View Post
                    excuse me for being sooo dumb on this but i have a question for you guys who carry the 1911... with the hammer cocked is there a possibility you could accidentally set it off if lets say you hit the hammer really hard (jumping in the car, failing down) just any sort of accident that could but a large amount of force on the hammer... thanks
                    Mine is a "Series 80" with the dreaded firing pin block. It it not possible for the firing pin to strike the primer unless the trigger is pressed.

On a Series 70 type 1911 there is no firing pin block. If the pistol were off safe and jarred hard enough for the hammer to jump the sear notch, there is a "half cock" notch before the hammer can strike the firing pin. I am pretty sure you would bust the hammer off before you could hit it hard enough to overcome all the safety systems.
                    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Comment

ahhh ok, thanks for the info guys, always wondered that!

Comment

Its my personal weapon, and we are able to carry single action weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog F4i View Post
                          On a Series 70 type 1911 there is no firing pin block. If the pistol were off safe and jarred hard enough for the hammer to jump the sear notch, there is a "half cock" notch before the hammer can strike the firing pin. I am pretty sure you would bust the hammer off before you could hit it hard enough to overcome all the safety systems.
                          The firing pin "lock" (on Series 80 and newer Model 1911s) was designed to address the ability of unrestrained inertia type firing pins to develop sufficient energy (if dropped from a high enough distance to the ground) to overcome spring tension and strike cartridge primers with enough force to cause a discharge. These ADs occurred if the pistol was dropped on to the muzzle and didn't even need the hammer to move from the full cock position.
                          "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

I'm more comfortable in condition One carry with my 1911 Sig Sauer IWB than holstered pocket carry with my J frame S&W 442.
                            The 1911 is a product of genius inspiration.
                            Le gra'sta De' a Theim.
                            Galic: By The Grace Of God Go I.

Comment

I forgot about the inertia issue. I need to lookup the tests and see what the height was that was required to cause a cartridge to fire.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6365 users online. 336 members and 6029 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X