300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on a new compact Concealed Carry Gun

My friend is looking for a new Concealed Carry gun. He doesn't know if he wants a revolver or auto yet. Well, he wants a revolver but his wife wants an auto because it has more safety features she said. He doesn't want a micro compact like the SW Bodyguard .380, but something a little bigger, but not fullsize. He said maybe a Bersa .380. He wants to keep it under $500.

I recommended the new Ruger LC9.

What do you guys think?

Well, for autos, my go-to recommendation is a Glock 26...but that won't satisfy her [ridiculous] safety prerequisites.
    I had a Bersa and, while I loved shooting it, it's way too large of a gun for way too small of a bullet. It shot, concealed [disappeared under a t-shirt with a good IWB rig), and carried, very well...but there's no reason to carry something that big that's not at least 9mm (like the Thunder 9, incidentally)...or at the very least offer higher-capacity. The grips are so thick that they could easily go with thinner panels and a double-stack mag.
    If she wants safeties, a Commander-sized 1911 would work. Or Stoeger makes one called the Cougar that, IIRC, functions like a scaled-down, smaller Beretta 92.

IMO, a compact [therefore, assumedly CCW] handgun should NOT have additional safeties...but that's a whole different argument.

I carried a CZ-82 for about a year. While it's not much stronger than a .380, it carried 13 rounds in a package the size of the Bersa (almost 2x the capacity), allowed Condition-1 carry, and only cost about $180. If he's willing to carry a .380, then 9x18 isn't much of a tradeoff (and is MUCH cheaper), so it may be something for him to look into.
    Lt. Col. Grace - "Lt. Murphey, why are you all dressed up to mack on the ladies?"
    Me - "Sir, you just answered your own question."

Comment

I'll add to what Murf said, education and training are the best "safety" on a weapon. None of the micro pistols will have a safety, except if you go with a Beretta .22 or .25, and to borrow a line from Blazing Saddles.........."shoot Mongo with one of those and you'll just make him mad". I'll second the Glock 26, and I'll add a Kahr 9mm or perhaps a J-frame revolver with a concealed or internal hammer. Educate the wife before your friend makes a purchase.
      Retired Lawdawg & Proud IMPD Papa!

"Justice is the one thing you should always find"
      Toby Keith

Comment

Originally posted by 55-502 View Post
        I'll add to what Murf said, education and training are the best "safety" on a weapon. None of the micro pistols will have a safety, except if you go with a Beretta .22 or .25, and to borrow a line from Blazing Saddles.........."shoot Mongo with one of those and you'll just make him mad". I'll second the Glock 26, and I'll add a Kahr 9mm or perhaps a J-frame revolver with a concealed or internal hammer. Educate the wife before your friend makes a purchase.

I don't like safety on my duty gun, but off-duty I don't mind it. Since they are looking for a compact and not micro compact, it shouldn't matter. Even though he wants a revolver, I see them going with what she wants, an auto.

Comment

I miss the safeties on my duty gun somtimes. Th 1911 safeties are transparant. You needn't think consciously of them. The grip is automatic, and the thumb safety comes down when your sights come into view.

At lest my XDs have grip safeties.
          I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Originally posted by HEDP View Post
            Even though he wants a revolver, I see them going with what she wants

Happy wife, happy life!

Retired Lawdawg & Proud IMPD Papa!

"Justice is the one thing you should always find"
            Toby Keith

Comment

He needs to man up and get a revolver if that's what he thinks is best and is what he wants.

Comment

I think S&W M&P compacts might come with manual safeties (full size guns have option of having one or not).

Comment

I tried a Gock sub compact 10mm with the extended magazine with the 10 round capacity. I was impressed. That's a good little gun with 10mm bite to it, and 10 rounds.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
                  - Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

Originally posted by SCV-Sop View Post
                    I tried a Gock sub compact 10mm with the extended magazine with the 10 round capacity. I was impressed. That's a good little gun with 10mm bite to it, and 10 rounds.
                    With 10mm recoil snap in a sub-compact?.....No thanks

Comment

Originally posted by tc215 View Post
                      He needs to man up and get a revolver if that's what he thinks is best and is what he wants.
                      100% Agree

I'm glad my wife trusts in my skills and my judgement enough to not question me when it comes to the guns...

Comment

Originally posted by 5149.5 View Post
                        With 10mm recoil snap in a sub-compact?.....No thanks
                        It's really not that bad. I've shot the 29 a few times and I thought it was pretty nice.
                        Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

Comment

I carry a Walther PPK/S and I love it. I carry it in an on the belt slide holster and it still disappears when I am wearing a T shirt. I can carry a second magazine in a pocket easily giving me 15 rounds. It shoots really nice out at the range and I am confident that I can put steel on target unlike with my Smith and Wesson Airweight. Although I have a lot more practice with my Walther.
                          Academy Graduation...December 17th 2010

Taser Taser Taser....I will never volunteer to ride the lightning again.

Comment

Smith and Wesson 642 is great. It's my duty back-up gun and also my off duty gun. I also recently purchased a Glock 19 and am loving it. It's great for home defense and has a light rail, but compact enough that I can easily and comfortably conceal it. Another option is the Kahr CW9. It also comes in .40.

I realize none of the weapons I mentioned have the safety's on them, but I was trained to keep the booger hook off the trigger until ready to fire and thus far it's worked out great. His milage may vary.

Comment

Like everyone said I would look at the Glock 26. I bought mine a few months ago off Gunbroker with the night sights factory installed and the final price was around $550 after the ffl transfer and taxes. The only thing i added was a Pearce grip extension (not the mag extension, they are unreliable) it allows me the grip the weapon like a fullsize and I have large hands. Also look into the Glock 27 which is essentially the .40 version.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4925 users online. 295 members and 4630 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X