Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High cap 1911 present for cadet / recruit. Help! I dont know $h!t about 1911's

*Edit* After many posts on several sites I am no longer limiting my options to "hi-capacity" *Edit*
    Short version: Can you recomend a good, factory new, 100% reliable hi-cap 1911?

Long version: Ok, bear with me. The cousin is going into the academy in a month. So, Im starting to think about graduation presents. Gives me 6 months to do the research and place an order. He's a "gun guy" so am I. He's been a glock guy for a long time, me too. My dept issues glocks so I practice with them a lot, that in turn has made me appreciate their simplicity, reliability, and CAPACITY.

That being said we both shot a buddy’s kimber at the range a few weeks back. We both decided to get a 1911 "someday." We also decided that we would love one of the hi cap models. The night ended and I got the idea for a present. Both of us are meat and potato kinda guys. We dont need a Ferrari, but we bot appreciate the absolute value of reliability in firearms. Reliability is #1....and....er....not all 1911's are reliable. I have purchased bargain tools/guns previously just to replace them later with the more expensive quality. Should have bit the bullet and bought quality fist. Lesson learned.

So.......I know Im asking the Ford vs Chevy, or 9mm vs 45, type of questtion Again So ill try and simplify them:

1. Where is the best place to do research on a quality, combat ready, hi-cap 1911?
    2.Are there makers to avoid like the plague, ones know for putting out garbage?

Thanks guys.

Ps. Ill be posting this in other forums as well to get a wider range of answers.
    Last edited by bronco1500; 04-17-2011, 01:14 PM.

Your price range is going to play a major factor in your decision. If price wasn't an issue, I'd get an STI Tactical 5.0 tuned by Dawson Precision. If you don't want to spend the big bucks, get a used Para P18.9, P16.40 or P14.45. The .45 will function flawlessly with the power extractor, but if you get the 9 or .40 I'd sleeve the extractor tunnel with an EGW or Millenium Custom sleeve and install an AFTEC extractor. The only issues with the Paras are related to the power extractor and its fixed pretty easily. The weak link with STI guns are the magazines and its a good idea to have those properly tuned for reliability.
    Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

Comment

I had a Charles Daly M5 Commander not too long ago.
      Awesome, high capacity, .45, 1911.

Would take a punishment, very accurate, very sexy looking...I miss it. Got mine for about $500.
      Wouldn't trust it to my life like a Glock, but for a range toy....Couldn't be better!

Comment

go here:

http://forums.1911forum.com/

many with more know how about the 1911 than you will find here.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
        - Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

I own a Para Big Hawg, which is based on Para's P14-45. I have not had an issue with the gun yet and has been very good to me. There are quite few high cap 1911s available.
          Springfield had one. I believe it was called V10. STI makes one, but they tend to be more of race guns for competitions. Caspians used to build on Para's frame. Phillipine company used to sell one too (might've been Armscorp). There were some that was sold by Century arms about a decade ago, which you may see in used gun market.

For the money, Para Ordnance P series would be good.

Comment

Just a question: was the one you shot a hi-cap? If not, you might want to try one out before you sink the money into it. Hi-cap 1911s [typically] have REALLY fat frames. Even with my huge hands, it just doesn't grip as well as a standard one. Plus, the beauty of a 1911 [when carrying, especially if you want to use it for CCW] is in how slim it is; going hi-cap will make it much, MUCH harder to conceal should you want to. Besides, I'm solidly of the belief that if you can't solve the problem with 8 rounds of .45ACP, you can't solve it with a handgun anyway.

(The other benefit you give up is the availability of $7 GI mags in any backwoods hole-in-the-wall dump of a gunshop you might encounter.)
            Last edited by Murf425; 04-12-2011, 07:37 AM.
            Lt. Col. Grace - "Lt. Murphey, why are you all dressed up to mack on the ladies?"
            Me - "Sir, you just answered your own question."

Comment

Here's a great thing about 1911's It really doesn't matter which one you get. It won't be your only or last one. So don't worry too much if you don't get it right.

I'm not a hi cap fan, and para would seem to be your only option (without going out of your way to find a used model of a ceased production) if you want it as a duty option.

- Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

I carry a G21SF at work, so I am no stranger to hi-cap .45's.

However I prefer my 1911's in single stack form. It's the way they were designed and if you can't get it done with eight .45 slugs, then you need to re-think your tactics (or reload).

In fact one of the things I adore about my Commander is how thin it is. I carry it IWB with two spare mags on my support side. I have never felt under gunned with 29 rounds at my disposal.

Definitely try one out before you drop the money on a double stack 1911.
                "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Originally posted by Murf425 View Post
                  Just a question: was the one you shot a hi-cap? If not, you might want to try one out before you sink the money into it. Hi-cap 1911s [typically] have REALLY fat frames. Even with my huge hands, it just doesn't grip as well as a standard one. Plus, the beauty of a 1911 [when carrying, especially if you want to use it for CCW] is in how slim it is; going hi-cap will make it much, MUCH harder to conceal should you want to. Besides, I'm solidly of the belief that if you can't solve the problem with 8 rounds of .45ACP, you can't solve it with a handgun anyway.

(The other benefit you give up is the availability of $7 GI mags in any backwoods hole-in-the-wall dump of a gunshop you might encounter.)
                  Actually, an STI 2011 frame is just about the same width as a 1911 with standard grips. If you put a 2011 and a 1911 side by side, you'll see what I mean.
                  Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog F4i View Post
                    if you can't get it done with eight .45 slugs, then you need to re-think your tactics (or reload).
                    I commonly see this used to justify lower-capacity weapons.

So you claim it should not be needed, but you know that it could be anyway so you carry extra ammo... ;-)

3 G21 mags would give you more than adding a 4th 1911 mag. Of course it would also give you a need to wear a parka everywhere...there is a compromise somewhere in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Fëanor View Post

So you claim it should not be needed, but you know that it could be anyway so you carry extra ammo... ;-)

3 G21 mags would give you more than adding a 4th 1911 mag. Of course it would also give you a need to wear a parka everywhere...there is a compromise somewhere in there.
                      Extra magazines aren't just for extra ammunition. Many malfunctions are magazine-induced and a mag change may be the best way to clear it.

Comment

It's also not the same thing. A slim grip, or hi cap 1911 that is technically no wider is not the same as a regular 1911. It’s still blockier.

- Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

I carry extra ammo for the same reason I carry a spare tire in my car.

How many folks carry three spare tires?
                          "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                          8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

Originally posted by bronco1500 View Post
                            Short version: Can you recomend a good, factory new, 100% reliable hi-cap 1911?
                            There's no such thing. High cap/double stack 1911s are inherently unreliable. If it's for range, competing, etc, where reliability is not the major concern, STI is probably best bang for the $$$ in terms of quality for $$$ spent with a lot of experience in double stack 1911s. SVI is high end stuff who makes double stacks for. You will find no 1911 experts (Yam, Vickers, etc) who will ever recommend double stack 1911s for duty/SD guns to risk your life on. Lower end is Para Ord, and the few I have seen or shot or jam O matics.
                            - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

Double-stack 1911s have magazine problems that usually require modification to make them reliable. As WillBrink pointed out, reliability is always in doubt. The 1911 is also a system that was designed around a single-stack platform. I have talked to lots of people who have experienced reliability issues with double-stack 1911s. If I were to carry one, it'd likely be a ParaOrd P14.45, but then and again, I have tiny hands and cannot grip them at all. Single-stack fits perfectly.

If you want a 1911 with more magazine capacity, get a single stack and buy Wilson Combat 10rd magazines. They stick out a bit much for carrying in the gun in the holster, but would make great reload magazines from a mag pouch.
                              Last edited by Reedo; 04-15-2011, 02:45 AM.
                              "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
                              -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6097 users online. 341 members and 5756 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X