Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Scope help

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need Scope help

    I am looking at a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22X56 scope w/ Larue LT-104 mount. A guy has the scope for sale and I may make an offer on it.

    I am going to mount it on a Larue OBR 308 with a 18 inch barrel and the setup with be used for LE sniping. What do you think?

    Sorry gun whores I don't have the rifle yet

  • #2
    Should be a nice scope.

    There are few members in here who can answer your question as they are trained and practicing snipers.

    Comment


    • #3
      ...I'm just a target rifle shooter, no a professional LE marksman, but for my knowledge your choise is a very good one.... Nightforce are very tough scopes, and the glass is very good...
      Compliments!
      "Verba vana aut risui apta non loqui."

      Comment


      • #4
        What sort of distance do you anticipate observing/shooting at? I have a 5-25 from a lower-tier maker, and 25x is great for poking holes in paper at the range, but I imagine you'll be spending an awful lot of your time at 5.5x to follow motion or just to see what's going on around your target. You might consider a 2-10 or 1.5-8x in a smaller, lighter package.
        **Not a LEO**

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by TimK View Post
          What sort of distance do you anticipate observing/shooting at? I have a 5-25 from a lower-tier maker, and 25x is great for poking holes in paper at the range, but I imagine you'll be spending an awful lot of your time at 5.5x to follow motion or just to see what's going on around your target. You might consider a 2-10 or 1.5-8x in a smaller, lighter package.
          There is a HUGE difference between tiers of scopes. Static targets I am usually shooting at 20x. Movers or multiple engagement distances I am usually at 10x.

          Now regarding the OP's question, the NXS 5.5-22x is a great scope. However it's a second focal plane optic. This means you will only be able to use the reticle measurements at 22x.

          There are also a bunch of reticle and turret combinations. Some are more desirable than others. The ideal is to have matching turrets and reticle.
          "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
          8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm looking at Nightforce as well for my M1A. Looking at their 1.8x10 Mildot Compact scope.

            It's hard to get off of 1,500 bucks for an optic though.

            Comment


            • #7
              I have a night force with a lighted reticle...its sweet...and HUGE...its definitely my "penis compensation" toy. I paid @$900 or so 15 plus years ago,,,still sweet
              "I don't go on "I'maworthlesscumdumpster.com" and post negative **** about cum dumpsters."
              The Tick

              "Are you referring to the secret headquarters of a fictional crime fighter or penal complex slang for a-$$hole, anus or rectum?"
              sanitizer

              "and we all know you are a poser and a p*ssy.... "
              Bearcat357 to Dinner Portion/buck8/long relief

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Name Taken View Post
                I'm looking at Nightforce as well for my M1A. Looking at their 1.8x10 Mildot Compact scope.

                It's hard to get off of 1,500 bucks for an optic though.
                I budget $1,000 for the scope, but after doing some research and getting help from others, I settled for Burris tactical scope, which is made in the USA and have all the feature that I needed (illuminated recticals, MIL-DOT) at around $700 range. At my level, I can't justify spending over $1K on a scope yet.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Oh, I certainly understand that. And his 'Washington' could mean anything from Seattle to rainforest on the peninsula to flatland east of the mountains. In Western Washington, though, you'd about have to contrive a shot beyond 200m. From the few times I've gone east of the mountains, I could see a longer shot. Especially for a wildlife guy. Just seems like an awful lot of magnification for the 50-150m sight line you see here, which is why I asked.

                  Originally posted by Blackdog F4i View Post
                  There is a HUGE difference between tiers of scopes. Static targets I am usually shooting at 20x. Movers or multiple engagement distances I am usually at 10x.

                  Now regarding the OP's question, the NXS 5.5-22x is a great scope. However it's a second focal plane optic. This means you will only be able to use the reticle measurements at 22x.

                  There are also a bunch of reticle and turret combinations. Some are more desirable than others. The ideal is to have matching turrets and reticle.
                  **Not a LEO**

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Name Taken View Post
                    I'm looking at Nightforce as well for my M1A. Looking at their 1.8x10 Mildot Compact scope.

                    It's hard to get off of 1,500 bucks for an optic though.
                    USO makes the 1.8-10x. NF NXS Compact is 2.5-10x24 or 2.5-10x32.
                    That 2.5-10x32 is a fantastic scope. For an M1A, it's a great magnification range. It's also nice with the low profile objective, so you can mount it lower on the rifle. If you pick up that scope, I think you'll be very happy.

                    Originally posted by SigSauerfirst View Post
                    I am looking at a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22X56 scope w/ Larue LT-104 mount. A guy has the scope for sale and I may make an offer on it.

                    I am going to mount it on a Larue OBR 308 with a 18 inch barrel and the setup with be used for LE sniping. What do you think?

                    Sorry gun whores I don't have the rifle yet
                    5.5-22x is perfect for paper punching, as others have pointed out. However, as Blackdog4Fi pointed out, NF offers a large number of combinations. They currently offer several MOA reticles, but only have 2 available MIL reticles by way of the Mil-Dot and the MLR. I would recommend that you be looking at MIL/MIL or MOA(turrets)/MIL(reticle). Matching turrets and reticle are ideal, but doing MOA turrets on a MIL reticle is certainly doable and has been in use for decades. Just avoid an MOA/MOA setup due to logistical issues. MOA reticles are not compatible with sniper systems and use. I think the more important question is "What turrets/reticle setup does the scope have?"


                    If you're going to be using it for LE use and don't plan on using it at longer ranges all that often, consider the 3.5-15x model. Having a 3.5x lower end is good for field of view, and 15x is more than plenty for most ranges.
                    NF scopes pop up for sale on SnipersHide on a daily basis, so if you have to pass up on this one, it's not the end of the world.
                    Last edited by Reedo; 04-15-2011, 02:10 AM.
                    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
                    -John Adams


                    Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thanks for the help and the scope sold pretty quick. I don't speak scope, what is the difference between the Nightforce scopes and do I need to spend the extra 500 bucks on Nightforce or go all out with the S&B. I know that it deals with the turrets.

                      My ranges will be 0-400 meters but most of the time will be spent at 100 meters. Is S&B really that much nicer than Nightforce?

                      Nightforce 3.5-15X50mm NXS Mil-Dot w/ HS ZS and LT104 1804.00

                      Nightforce 3.5-15x50mm Mil Dot with zero stop-Miliradian and LT104 Mount 2369.00

                      Schmidt & Bender Police Marksman 3-12x50 LP Illuminated PM Riflescopes with P3 Reticles 3099.00

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by SigSauerfirst View Post
                        Thanks for the help and the scope sold pretty quick. I don't speak scope, what is the difference between the Nightforce scopes and do I need to spend the extra 500 bucks on Nightforce or go all out with the S&B. I know that it deals with the turrets.

                        My ranges will be 0-400 meters but most of the time will be spent at 100 meters. Is S&B really that much nicer than Nightforce?

                        Nightforce 3.5-15X50mm NXS Mil-Dot w/ HS ZS and LT104 1804.00

                        Nightforce 3.5-15x50mm Mil Dot with zero stop-Miliradian and LT104 Mount 2369.00

                        Schmidt & Bender Police Marksman 3-12x50 LP Illuminated PM Riflescopes with P3 Reticles 3099.00
                        The first scope is Second Focal plane, and it does not mention if you want mil or moa turrets. I would recommend you get mil.
                        The second NF is the F1 model with the First Focal plane. I would recommend that you look at the MD2 reticle, which is basically an enhanced mildot similar to PR's Gen2 MilDot. This scope comes with NF Ultralight rings, but I don't recall if they'll clear a full rail or not.
                        The S&B PM2 is a world of difference better that the NF. You're looking at an entirely different category, and the price shows it. If you have the money to spend, the S&B is a fantastic optic. I personally prefer Premier Reticles, since it's glass is in the same category, but you have a 5x erector with a 3-15x50 (recommend Gen2 MilDot) for $2888. PR is an American company, and their scopes are rock solid and durable.
                        HOWEVER, given your ranges, I think getting a S&B or PR is going to be overkill. Even going to a USO is a bit much. NF, or possible a Votex Razor HD would be the highest I would go if I was just gonna be spending all my time under 400yds. While the glass on the S&B and PR is good enough to make you weep with joy, their advantage comes with low light performance and for long range applications where the superior quality will give you an edge. They are excellent at shorter ranges also, but there are less expensive options that may serve the purpose just as well for a lot less money. YMMV

                        Other scopes to look into:

                        Sub-$1k range:
                        Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50
                        Weaver Tactical 3-15x50
                        Sightron SIII 6-24x50
                        used Leupold Mark4 4.5-14x50

                        $1k-$2K range:
                        Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50/56
                        IOR Valdada 3.5-18x50
                        Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50

                        $2k-$2500 range:
                        Nightforce NXS F1 3.5-15x50
                        US Optics SN-3 3.2-17x44/58

                        $2500+ Premium Range:
                        Steiner 3-12x56/4-16x50
                        Schmidt&Bender PMII 3-20x50
                        Premier Heritage 3-15x50
                        Zeiss Hensoldt 4-16x56
                        "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
                        -John Adams


                        Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

                        Comment

                        MR300x250 Tablet

                        Collapse

                        What's Going On

                        Collapse

                        There are currently 4520 users online. 279 members and 4241 guests.

                        Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                        Welcome Ad

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X