Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm looking at this to be my first firearm purchase...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm looking at this to be my first firearm purchase...

.40 Taurus 740 Slim

Just something to have as self/home defense and to take to the range on occasion. I did 4 years in the Marines and have never owned my own gun . Does anyone have any thoughts on this model or Taurus guns in general? I stumbled across this one because it was one of a few .40's that they had at the gun shop near here. I held it and really liked the feel. It is indeed very slim/compact.

Not a huge fan of Taurus, although others on the forum swear by them. What was your sidearm in the Corp, Beretta 92? I'd take a serious look at the Glock or Sig line before you buy.

Retired Lawdawg & Proud IMPD Papa!

"Justice is the one thing you should always find"
    Toby Keith

Comment

If it's just to leave at home and "occasionally" take to the range, I'll make the same recommendation I do everyone who describes that: 4" .357 revolver with .357s at home and .38s at the range. Simple, reliable (I don't trust Taurus autos, but their revolvers work fine), powerful, and inexpensive to buy/shoot.

If you're dead set on an auto, I second the "look at Glocks" suggestion. I've had autos from every price range over a huge spectrum of makers, and the Glock is by far the best for shooting "occasionally".

Obviously, buy what you want...but I wouldn't buy that.
      Last edited by Murf425; 04-06-2011, 02:41 PM.
      Lt. Col. Grace - "Lt. Murphey, why are you all dressed up to mack on the ladies?"
      Me - "Sir, you just answered your own question."

Comment

55-502, Yeah Baretta 9mm... I only qualified to carry one because I worked a post at the MP armory for a while. That thing was heavy and bulky. Not what I'm looking for. lol

Murf, price is kind of a factor. The slim wasn't even $300. They did have several glocks and they were in the 400-500 range. -- Also, you say "auto"... aren't a majority of handguns going to be semi-auto, to include this Taurus? Sorry, I'm not well educated on hand guns.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignite View Post
          Also, you say "auto"... aren't a majority of handguns going to be semi-auto, to include this Taurus?
          What I read that to mean is non-revolver.

Taurus revolvers are fine, their auto loading magazine fed firearms are not.

Look around for used, and maybe private party purchases.

Then again, here's a question. Do you think you are going to get another gun later? If so, then why not get a .22 now this time. You'll never regret having that 22, and it will be a range gun, and you'll never kick yourself having bought a sub par 40 and be faced with buying "another" 40 to replace it with something better. A 22 is a 22 and is always fun even if it has some hang ups at the range, it being a range gun you can deal with it from time to time as it doesn't like certian ammo.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
          - Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

Gotcha. I don't have a problem considering something different. Do you know of a website that has good deals on 22's, or just a selection in general so I can get an idea of a.) what a 22 is (lol) and b.) what price range we're looking at.

Comment

Taurus is really good at copying the basic designs of the big-name manufacturers. Would I bet my life on one? Most likely not if I had a choice.

You'll never regret having that 22, and it will be a range gun, and you'll never kick yourself having bought a sub par 40 and be faced with buying "another" 40 to replace it with something better. A 22 is a 22 and is always fun even if it has some hang ups at the range, it being a range gun you can deal with it from time to time as it doesn't like certian ammo.
              +100!!!
              I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Originally posted by Murf425 View Post
                If it's just to leave at home and "occasionally" take to the range, I'll make the same recommendation I do everyone who describes that: 4" .357 revolver with .357s at home and .38s at the range. Simple, reliable (I don't trust Taurus autos, but their revolvers work fine), powerful, and inexpensive to buy/shoot.

If you're dead set on an auto, I second the "look at Glocks" suggestion. I've had autos from every price range over a huge spectrum of makers, and the Glock is by far the best for shooting "occasionally".

Obviously, buy what you want...but I wouldn't buy that.
                I agree with this advice.

Comment

I wouldn't buy the Taurus

In my opinion, if you are set on buying an auto and are not willing to spend a miniumum of $400, then don't buy at all (with rare exceptions).

"Cheapest" reliable pistol I have bought was a Kahr CW9...the CW40 is on sale at Buds for $400 right now, in fact.

Comment

Take a look at the new Hi Point ---under $200 and most reviews show them to be fairly reliable.

Ugly as sin, but most say after a break in period they rarely fail.

Nope I don't have one------my gun dealer /police officer buddy recommends them for tossing in the tackle box. He is selling the 380 and 9 for 139 right now and the 40 & 45 for 159

Thinking about the 9 to carry once in a while.

Lots of haters out there but if you read the reviews------------------------use your own judgement
                    Last edited by Iowa #1603; 04-06-2011, 07:10 PM.
                    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

If cost is a real issue, I'd look at the Ruger P-95 9mm. They're built like tanks and will feed anything you load into it, plus Ruger's customer service is top notch. You'll find the P-95 for around $320, with the used ones often under $300. BTW, I carried one for several years and shot competition with it, never had a single glitch.

Retired Lawdawg & Proud IMPD Papa!

"Justice is the one thing you should always find"
                      Toby Keith

Comment

Originally posted by 55-502 View Post
                        If cost is a real issue, I'd look at the Ruger P-95 9mm. They're built like tanks and will feed anything you load into it, plus Ruger's customer service is top notch. You'll find the P-95 for around $320, with the used ones often under $300. BTW, I carried one for several years and shot competition with it, never had a single glitch.

I carry a Ruger P345. I like the cost and reliability Didn't want to carry my duty gun and bang it up (S&W) 4006............................I can tell you the Ruger will NOT survive an arson
                        "a band is blowing Dixie double four time You feel alright when you hear the music ring"

The real deal

Outshined Pujulesfan Bearcat Chitowndet Sgt Slaughter jthorpe M-11 Lt Borelli L-1Sgt CHP Nikk Smurf Presence1 IcecoldblueyesKimble LADEP ateamer ChiCity R.A.B. Jenners IrishMetal GoldBadge willowdared Monkeybomb PhilipCal pullicords Chit2001 Garbageman Narco CruiserClass Fuzz 10-42Trooper Tex4720 irishlad2nv bajakirch OnThe gurmpyirishmanNYIlliniSgtScott31 CityCopDCcgh6366 FJDave

Comment

I wouldn't buy a .40 as a starter gun. The recoil is quite sharp.

How about a 9mm? Ammo is probably also cheaper with the 9mm.

A .357 revolver is also not a bad choice and you can use lower recoiling .38's.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignite View Post
                            Gotcha. I don't have a problem considering something different. Do you know of a website that has good deals on 22's, or just a selection in general so I can get an idea of a.) what a 22 is (lol) and b.) what price range we're looking at.
                            http://www.ruger.com/

$430 full retail. You will find them all over the place used in varying degrees of wear. So $300 wouldn't be unrealistic.

A box of cheap 40SW = $15 for 50 rounds.

A box of cheap .22 = $16 for over 500 (five hundred)

Also, for your needs "Rimfire" and 22 are the same thing. If you go surfing on the ruger site you need to be looking at "rimfires".
                            Last edited by SCV-Sop; 04-07-2011, 01:10 AM.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
                            - Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

Originally posted by 55-502 View Post
                              Not a huge fan of Taurus, although others on the forum swear by them. What was your sidearm in the Corp, Beretta 92? I'd take a serious look at the Glock or Sig line before you buy.

Second that... If it's a money thing look at the Glock. Sig Sauer or Glock is my choice.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3825 users online. 239 members and 3586 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X