300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone carry an XDM?

Today I decided to head to the range and rent a few different models of 9mm's, trying to see which one was a better fit for me. I may be needing to buy a duty weapon soon, so I wanted to see which gun fit my hand better, and how well I shot with each.

I carry an H&K .40 USP Compact now, and I shoot OK with it. I don't practice more than once every other month with it though. So for my "evaluation," I decided to shoot the Glock 17, S&W M&P9, and the XDM9. After doing research, I had decided I was going to choose between the Glock and the S&W, but I figured I'd give the XDM a whirl just for S&Gs.

Honestly, I shot the XDM a LOT better than the other two models. As in, at 10 yards I had a grouping that was about the size of my fist. I haven't shot since December, so I felt pretty good about that. At 25 yards, I had a grouping about the size of my hand.

When shooting the Glock, I found I didn't like the grip that much, and I hated the stock sights. I did easily reach the mag release, which was a problem for me on the M&P9. I had to turn my hand a bit and adjust my grip to properly hit the release on the M&P. That's was a big turn off for me, because it's important I can quickly do a magazine exchange or emergency reload. With the XDM, I had no problems reaching the mag release, and I was very quick to do magazine exchanges. I also found I was quicker in getting back on target with the XDM for follow-up shots.

So, my question is, does anyone have any experience carrying the XDM as a duty weapon? I've read some things online saying there are reliability issues with the gun, but I'm not sure how true they are. I know that was the case with the XD9, but the new XDM seems to be a love/hate relationship with most people. I don't know if they are just coming from other guns like Glocks, and don't like the change, or what. For me, I've shot my current weapon so little, I'm almost able to start fresh and not "relearn" anything.

Also, for a BUG/OD carry, obviously Springfield doesn't really made a compact model XDM. So I'd need to find another model to carry. That leaves me with going to shoot the Glock 26 or M&P9c I guess.

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated. I didn't come up with anything in a search.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence to those who would do us harm." - George Orwell, April 4, 1942

Springfield makes a compact XD. Use it, the differences between the XD and XDm(especially when dealing with a compact) aren't enough to discount it from your carry.
    http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php?model=2

In a firefight, you want to rely on muscle memory with your weapon. If your BUG has the same characteristics; magazine release, trigger, slide, sights, etc. you'll find yourself in a much better spot.

Comment

I'll be qualifying with my third XD soon. So far (after a spate of 1911s which I really do love) I've carried and stay qualified with the XD45c (uniformed work) and a XD9sc (plain clothes work & off-duty). I recently acquired a XDm3.8 40 compact to fill all those squares...

I have the XD bug I guess.... Next? The XDm 45!
      I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

While I don't carry it on duty, I do own a XDM 40 4.5. I just went through in-service training this week and had to requal with my duty and secondary weapons. My duty is a Sig 226 in 40. I had only a 4-point difference between the two on my qual scores, with the higher score going towards my duty weapon. I've only put around 500 through the XDM. If our Sigs were taken away and we were told to buy our own weapons, the XDM would be on the top of my list. It fits my hand better than any Glock I've owned and the trigger is very smooth and consistant. And best of all, now that Springfield is making a XDM 40 3.8 companct (or, their new 40 subcompact), there is a great option for bug/off-duty to match the duty weapon as well. If it is in fact an option for you, I would not hesitate to discount it at all. For the price, you couldn't find a better option.

Comment

Originally posted by sureshot21 View Post
          While I don't carry it on duty, I do own a XDM 40 4.5. I just went through in-service training this week and had to requal with my duty and secondary weapons. My duty is a Sig 226 in 40. I had only a 4-point difference between the two on my qual scores, with the higher score going towards my duty weapon. I've only put around 500 through the XDM. If our Sigs were taken away and we were told to buy our own weapons, the XDM would be on the top of my list. It fits my hand better than any Glock I've owned and the trigger is very smooth and consistant. And best of all, now that Springfield is making a XDM 40 3.8 companct (or, their new 40 subcompact), there is a great option for bug/off-duty to match the duty weapon as well. If it is in fact an option for you, I would not hesitate to discount it at all. For the price, you couldn't find a better option.
          What he said!
          I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Just to let you know, Springfield came out with an XDM 3.8 compact 9mm late in 2010 and just came out with a .40 S&W version not long ago. The 9mm model comes with a full size 19 round mag with a mag sleeve and a 13 round flush fit mag, and the .40 S&W comes set up similarly. It's just a tad bit larger than the Glock 26 so if you go with the full size 4.5" XDM 9mm or .40 S&W for duty use, they do make a subcompact for OD/BUG use.
            Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I've read some negative reviews of the gun, but it seems like most of them come from range and competitive type shooters. It's hard to wade through those opinions when evaluating the positives and negatives of each. I just don't want to purchase a gun that is going to be causing me tons of problems.
              "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence to those who would do us harm." - George Orwell, April 4, 1942

Comment

I carry an XDM .40 full size. This is my favorite gun. I retired my Sig 220 to carry the XDM. The gun just fits my hand better and the trigger is awesome. I have owned/shot many handguns and the XDM works the best for me.

I have yet to have a problem with it. It is pretty new. I have only shot about 1000 rounds or so through it, but without one malfunction.

Just out of curiosity. What problems have you heard about?

Comment

The biggest complaint is breaking of the striker roller pin. That is an easy fix, since there are some websites that sell them for just a couple bucks, and they're a stronger pin. Others were general complaints, and lots of "Would you trust this expensive, unproven Croatian gun over a proven Glock or S&W?" There was also some complaints about finding parts for the gun. While some people can get parts and fix their Glocks themselves, those with XDMs need to send them to Springfield for repair.

I've been doing more research on the XDTalk forums and looking at the MP-Pistol forums, since that is my "other" choice. I saw lots of people saying the XDM shoots low and left, and there must be something wrong with it... Then I saw the same on the M&P forum.

I think I'm going to go shoot the .40 versions of each next week, because now I'm leaning more towards a .40. Like I said, I carry a .40 now, and I've done well with it. I think I was getting psyched out about the recoil just from reading too many gun forums.

Comment

While I don't have an XDM, I have been carrying a standard XD service model in .45 acp for about three years now. I would say that without a doubt the platform and pistol is proven. It is as reliable as the Glock I carried for years prior to it. I have fired thousands of rounds through it and carry it as a SWAT sidearm, as well as daily on duty. I have done nothing but clean it and shoot it, and she gets about 100 rounds on average through her a month. If you choose a XD series I don't believe you'll be sorry.
                    "I am... reminded of something Cardinal Wolsey once told me. That I should only ever tell the king what he ought to do, not what he could do; for if the lion knows his own strength, no man could control him". Sir Thomas More

Comment

I've carried a .40 XDm on duty now for 2+ yrs. no issues at all. I also rented a XDm and a Glock when I decided to replace my S&W Sigma. The XDm fit me better and I shot better with it than the Glock.
                      God could have made the world Fair or Round

Comment

Last edited by OneAdam12; 04-05-2011, 02:32 PM.
                        Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

Originally posted by FlyChicaga View Post
                          I saw lots of people saying the XDM shoots low and left, and there must be something wrong with it... Then I saw the same on the M&P forum.
                          I love that. "Hey, man, my gun shoots high and to the right... can you adjust those sights for me?" I stare blankly for a moment... "No sir, those are fixed sights, you just need to adjust your skill level." Happens almost every day.
                          Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

Comment

The Springfield XDM Compact.

My sister works in plainclothes as a detective, and recently switched from a Glock 19 to the new XDM40 Compact. She says it is the best pistol she has ever carried. She hasn't had any issues with reliability at this point.
                            "A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding

Comment

I have been toying with the idea of the xd compact 45. It is quite simply the most comfortable compact 45 I've ever held (other than the cqb compact which I clearly cannot afford). I can't get over how ugly it is though...
                              Seriously, the only reason I wanted to be a cop was so I could post anywhere on this forum.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6421 users online. 367 members and 6054 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X