300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mossberg 590A1

I have been doing a little research on home defense shotguns. I was originally dead set on an 870 until I learned the differences between the 870 express and police models. I was also comparing the 870 express to Mossberg 500 models. I then learned about the 590A1's and how well they seem to be built in relation to the 870 express and Mossberg 500 models with the heavier barrels and better trigger guards. Basically, I guess my question is whether or not everyone feels that 590a1's are built just as well, and are just as reliable as 870 Police models. I understand that 870 expresses and Mossberg 500s are probably more than adequate for home defense, but for the price difference, it seems that the 590a1's may give the most bang for the buck so to speak. Also being a new Reserve Deputy, I would like a shotgun that would be sufficient for duty use as well. Any thoughts? Thanks!

The Mossberg 590A1 is extremely rugged and reliable. As to whether the 590A1 is as well-built and as reliable as the 870 Police, that involves a great deal of opinion and very few demonstrable facts. I'll just say that if you handed me either of them with which to defend my life while you kept the other one, I wouldn't feel that I had been cheated.
    "Son, you are a walkin' violation of the laws of nature...But we don't enforce them laws."

I am just a country boy tryin' to make some sense
    But I'd like to ask the Congress, I'd like to ask the President
    "Can ya tell me where all the money went?"
    We might not be broke but we're badly bent!

The Tractors -- "Badly Bent" from the album Owner's Manual

"Common sense. So rare, it should be a super power." Exodus 259

Comment

Originally posted by HeadDoc View Post
      The Mossberg 590A1 is extremely rugged and reliable. As to whether the 590A1 is as well-built and as reliable as the 870 Police, that involves a great deal of opinion and very few demonstrable facts. I'll just say that if you handed me either of them with which to defend my life while you kept the other one, I wouldn't feel that I had been cheated.
      Thanks for the thoughts and comments.

Comment

My old department carried the 590A1. It was a great shotgun, rugged and reliable. We put them through their paces, and we were NOT easy on them. We put thousands of rounds of 00 buck and rifled slugs through them, and not one malfunction. I was impressed. Also, I'm a lefty, so the safety placement is best for me.
        sigpic
        Originally posted by Smurfette
        Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
        Originally posted by DAL
        You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

I am partial to the 870, but I would not have a problem if I was issued a 590.
          "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
          8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

I use 590 and 500 series. Great guns. 870 is also excellent choice as well. If you do choose 590A1, one thing you may want to change is the plastic safety with metal one.

Comment

Originally posted by M1garand View Post
              If you do choose 590A1, one thing you may want to change is the plastic safety with metal one.
              I thought that the safety was metal on the 590A1's...I was thinking that was one of the upgrades to the "A1" as opposed to the regular 590. I will have to double check. Thanks for everyones' thoughts!

Comment

In my opinion, the ergonomics of the Mossberg are more intuitive, but that's purely a matter of personal preference. I like the way I can release the slide or the safety without shifting my grip.
                "Son, you are a walkin' violation of the laws of nature...But we don't enforce them laws."

I am just a country boy tryin' to make some sense
                But I'd like to ask the Congress, I'd like to ask the President
                "Can ya tell me where all the money went?"
                We might not be broke but we're badly bent!

The Tractors -- "Badly Bent" from the album Owner's Manual

"Common sense. So rare, it should be a super power." Exodus 259

Comment

Originally posted by HeadDoc View Post
                  In my opinion, the ergonomics of the Mossberg are more intuitive, but that's purely a matter of personal preference. I like the way I can release the slide or the safety without shifting my grip.
                  It's not so much a problem with a right handed shooter. The safety can be disengaged with the index finger on the way to the trigger. If you run a Vang safety (like I do) then you will instantly feel if the safety is engaged or not when you reach to the trigger. If you need to reengage the safety, then there is no longer a threat and breaking the firing grip is not an issue.

If you are a left handed shooter the Mossberg is a better option, however the utility is reduced with pistol grip stocks.
                  "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
                  8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

First off in regards to the 870 Express economy line gun, it's just like a car, buy the cheap model and polish and upgrade and you have the police model, buy more and you have the shiney wingmaster. If you want/need the deluxe then either buy what you need or add the needed items on as your budget allows.

Same goes for the Mossberg, line, if you want cheap then the Maverick, upgrade to the model 500, then to the 590A1.

The big decision you need make here is do you want a steel framed gun like the 870 or an Aluminum gun like the Mossberg?

Beyond that they are all going to go boom every time.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5009 users online. 293 members and 4716 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X