Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on switching from Compact Carry to Micro Carry?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Thoughts on switching from Compact Carry to Micro Carry?

    .

    I currently carry a 1911 compact carry Springfield .45 in a Crossbreed Supertuck, which works well for me. I'm a small guy, about 124lbs.


    I was thinking about picking up a SW .380 Bodyguard Semi-Auto now that they are about $250-$300.





    What can you think the benefits and detraction's of switching would be?




    .

  • #2
    .45 to .380 is a huge drop in caliber. I'm not usually one of the caliber snobs, and I like the looks of the SW Bodyguard, but you might want to consider waiting for the price to drop on the new Sig P-290 or look at some of the other micre 9mm.

    Comment


    • #3
      Only advantage that I can see you going from your compact Springfield .45 to S&W bodyguard in .380 is the weight/size of the gun/recoil. You will probably not going to gain any additional round in magazine either.

      May I ask why you want the change besides the pricing (especially when you mentioned that your current carry piece is working out well for you)?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by M1garand View Post
        Only advantage that I can see you going from your compact Springfield .45 to S&W bodyguard in .380 is the weight/size of the gun/recoil. You will probably not going to gain any additional round in magazine either.

        May I ask why you want the change besides the pricing (especially when you mentioned that your current carry piece is working out well for you)?


        Maybe easier to carry a pocket pistol. Just throw it in it's little pocket holster and go. Don't have to worry about putting on the IWB Crossbreed which is much bigger.



        Plus, you can always have the little pocket holster and pistol to take with you, versus having to have a holster for the Crossbreed. If you've ever had your gun, but no holster for it, you know what I'm talking about.

        Comment


        • #5
          why not carry both? One inside the pant and one in your pocket? Only bad thing about the pocket gun is I would consider it a true "back up" gun used at extreme close ranges like a "struggle" where capacity is not as much an issue as say an "Active Shooter" incident would be. Plus digging around in your pocket may be harder than you think during times of great stress vs presenting from a holster I'd atleast keep the back up in the pocket in a pocket holster that stays in the pocket yet keeps the gun seperated from all the garble that exist from baggy jean and shorts pockets...
          Last edited by Nightshift va; 04-03-2011, 07:31 AM.
          "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

          Comment


          • #6
            http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-P380-Black.asp http://www.ruger.com/products/lcp/models.html http://sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDe...38-nitron.aspx
            http://www.berettausa.com/products/3...at-wide-slide/
            http://sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p290.aspx

            click on above for some idea's ofcourse they vary in price and quality but all would do the job on point blank shots to the grape"...
            "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

            Comment


            • #7
              The BG380 and BG38 are pieces of junk. I've had to take so many back on warranty exchange. The lasers are junk and the guns are junk, end of story.
              Eat Meat, Build Mass!

              www.centralfloridaammo.com

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Hitthegym View Post
                The BG380 and BG38 are pieces of junk. I've had to take so many back on warranty exchange. The lasers are junk and the guns are junk, end of story.
                Yep, some more "winners" from S&W

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Till View Post
                  Yep, some more "winners" from S&W
                  No joke. I have had multiple BG38s have the cylinder not lock up when closing it, ie: you can push the cylinder open without hitting the crappy release. I also had a customer bring a .38 back because the trigger guard was seriously wobbling around. The BG380s have had malfunction issues, and the lasers just break.

                  Also a POS: The Sig P290. We got a shipment of 15 of them and four have gone back to Sig because the hammer does not contact the firing pin meaning no ka-bang.

                  Although I must say, the new S&W Governor is so much better than that stupid mall-ninja judge. All I'm gonna say is .45ACP with moon clips... yeah.
                  Eat Meat, Build Mass!

                  www.centralfloridaammo.com

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    In my experience with the micro mouseguns (I've carried a P32, a P3AT, and an LCP...at some point in my CCW career), I'll stick with compacts. The others were very easy to carry, and perfectly reliable...but beyond about 10 yards, I couldn't hit crap with them. Sure, that's to be expected...they're intended to be used at arms' reach. But, given the choice, I'd much rather have the ability to hit from further.

                    I currently carry a G26...and I've never looked back.

                    *ETA*
                    From things I've read, I'd stay away from the Bodyguard regardless. If I was to go back to a pocket pistol, it'd be a Kel-Tec. They've been doing 'em for so long that they've got all the bugs worked out.
                    Last edited by Murf425; 04-04-2011, 11:38 AM.
                    Lt. Col. Grace - "Lt. Murphey, why are you all dressed up to mack on the ladies?"
                    Me - "Sir, you just answered your own question."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by HEDP View Post
                      Plus, you can always have the little pocket holster and pistol to take with you, versus having to have a holster for the Crossbreed. If you've ever had your gun, but no holster for it, you know what I'm talking about.
                      Glock 26 + Clipdraw is working out brilliantly for me [in the interim, 'til I get a holster ordered]. Just as quick as dropping a nostril gun in your pocket, and disappears under a t-shirt.
                      Lt. Col. Grace - "Lt. Murphey, why are you all dressed up to mack on the ladies?"
                      Me - "Sir, you just answered your own question."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I like my S&W 642 Airweight .38+P for "quick carry" like running out to the corner store or for carrying to and from work (I don't usually make any stops unless its for gas). I like the snubby for this because its "enough gun" to stop an up close and personal threat but small enough to carry and conceal well. I'll carry in a DeSantis Speed Scabbard for normal belt carry or a Galco Ankle Glove for "quick carry". The ankle glove goes on in seconds and I hardly notice it. I also carry a 5 round Quick Strip.

                        Personally, I dont like the micro semi-autos because I have big hands and I don't feel comfortable gripping them. To me, a J frame fits the bill nicely for a small piece.
                        I looked at the BG 38, and thought it felt cheap. I also wasn't impressed with the laser setup or the cylinder lock. If I wasn't carrying a 642 Airweight, I would probably carry a Ruger LCR.
                        I make my living on Irish welfare.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I handled the Body Guard a couple of months ago, and I felt the safety and Laser activation switch were very ackward to use with my big hands. For a pocket gun I'd stick with the LCP/LCR or the Kahr PM-9.

                          502
                          Retired Lawdawg & Proud IMPD Papa!




                          "Justice is the one thing you should always find"
                          Toby Keith

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by reils49 View Post
                            I like my S&W 642 Airweight .38+P for "quick carry" like running out to the corner store or for carrying to and from work (I don't usually make any stops unless its for gas). I like the snubby for this because its "enough gun" to stop an up close and personal threat but small enough to carry and conceal well. I'll carry in a DeSantis Speed Scabbard for normal belt carry or a Galco Ankle Glove for "quick carry". The ankle glove goes on in seconds and I hardly notice it. I also carry a 5 round Quick Strip.

                            Personally, I dont like the micro semi-autos because I have big hands and I don't feel comfortable gripping them. To me, a J frame fits the bill nicely for a small piece.
                            I looked at the BG 38, and thought it felt cheap. I also wasn't impressed with the laser setup or the cylinder lock. If I wasn't carrying a 642 Airweight, I would probably carry a Ruger LCR.
                            +1 i just got a 637 and love it. Nice to be able to just throw it in my cargo pocket and go run a quick errand. Still carry my .45 to dinner and such haha
                            In Valor there is hope

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Start with why you carry a gun - what is the potential threat? If you live someplace where the bad guys all weigh under 100 pounds, never travel in packs, and never do drugs like PCP, a .380 might work for you. If you live anyplace else, where the threat could be 3 bikers in the 230 pound class, all high on meth, do you really think a .380 is going to stop even one of them?

                              Always start from the threat, and work back to what caliber(s) are likely to stop them. Otherwise, just buy a .22 short and pretend you are ready to defend yourself and you family.

                              Personally, I carry a 9mm or .45. But you get to decide what your life is worth.
                              "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                              John Stuart Mill

                              Comment

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 7994 users online. 377 members and 7617 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                              Working...
                              X