Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100 Years of Service!

Happy Birthday to the 1911,

Following its success in trials, the Colt pistol was formally adopted by the Army on March 29, 1911, thus gaining its designation, M1911 (Model 1911). It was adopted by the Navy and Marine Corps in 1913. Originally manufactured only by Colt, demand for the firearm in World War I saw the expansion of manufacture to the government-owned Springfield Armory.

Still going strong, if only John M Browning were alive to see the success of this fantastic firearm. God Bless you JMB.
    Hey Kidd, I've got more time On Meal than you have "On the Job"

Who would have thought a weapon, after 100 years, would still be a much sought after gun? American ingenuity. Next up, the M2 (Ma Deuce), still in service in the military!
    sigpic
    Originally posted by Smurfette
    Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
    Originally posted by DAL
    You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

Usually the guns that have had the most longevity and success have been extremely modifiable, such as the 1911, M16/M4, Ruger 10/22, Remington 870 and even the AK47 now.

Ironically the M2 .50 Browning has retained it's longevity and success without being extremely modifiable.

The 1911 will be around until we start using laser guns.

Comment

Originally posted by HEDP View Post
        Ironically the M2 .50 Browning has retained it's longevity and success without being extremely modifiable.
        It doesn't have to be....the M2 is fine just as it is....lol
        sigpic
        Originally posted by Smurfette
        Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
        Originally posted by DAL
        You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

100 years of kicking ***
          Someone buy me a Kimber to celebrate!

Comment

God bless John Browning!! God only knows how many American lives he has saved.

Comment

Actually if you look at all the guns Browning designed, has anybody really IMPROVED on them in any major way ? The 1919 and 1917 became obsolete due to changes in general warfare.....they are not portable enough for rapid advances and retreats...more suited to trench warfare...which the Izzies essentially used them for. For fixed base defense the 1919 is STILL an excellent belt fed...probably one of the best. The M2 is not often humped by humans...it gets a ride on mechanical beasts of burden and flight :-).

Darn near every fighting handgun in widespread uses Brownings recoil operated system....other systems are actually quite rare overall. And as the populace legally rearms itself, the 380, a browning cartridge...often in a recoil operated pistol (contrary to Brownings blowback design for the cartridge) gains more and more market share....everything old is new again.
              Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Comment

Very true, not many changes to the 1911 over the years. Extended safety's, slide stops and some external extractors, but for the most part nothing significant...That's what makes a 1911 Pattern pistol, well, a 1911.

1. You can't improve perfection, which is the 1911, not the G.
                2. One can never have enough 1911's.

Comment

In honor of the 100th Anniversary, I bought this Colt model O1911, a pretty darn good reproduction of an early M1911.

The slick MSH makes having good grips more important, but it is still quite serviceable.
                  J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Nice "J"...

Comment

I trust my life to a 1911 everyday, and hope that some new policy does not force me to change to some plastic fantastic. Just currious, could anyone else have retired by now if you got 5cents for everytime a "gun expert" in the gas station told you that the hammer was back on your weapon.

Comment

very nice 1911....
                        Originally posted by jwise View Post
                        In honor of the 100th Anniversary, I bought this Colt model O1911, a pretty darn good reproduction of an early M1911.

The slick MSH makes having good grips more important, but it is still quite serviceable.

Comment

here is my issued Norinco 1911A1..

Comment

Comment

Ruger is building a 1911 model now. Hope it is a success.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6420 users online. 362 members and 6058 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X