Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agencies carrying 10mm Auto?

Greetings all,

I am doing some research as to U.S agencies that carry the 10mm Auto caliber. Albuquerque J.P.D. and Anniston P.D according to Wikipedia carry it. Anybody know of any others and why they went with this caliber?

Regards,

D30
    "Just when you think you know all the answers, we change the questions."
    -"Rowdy" Roddy Piper

No, the ammo is too expensive. 3 to 4 times the price of 9mm with "similar" ballistic characteristics.
    Last edited by ummone; 03-25-2011, 03:12 AM.
    This is for all you parents that like to put your kids names on the back of your mini-vans.

STOP IT! There are predators that will use that information against them!

Comment

None. Too expensive, too much recoil for smaller/untrained Officers.
      What's the Albuquerque J.P.D? I've never heard of that agency.

Comment

Its an authorized caliber on our department, but not issued. If you do decide to carry one, you're on the hook for your own ammo.
        Originally posted by kontemplerande
        Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

In the 1990's several agencies in E Iowa authorized the 10mm. Most converted to the .40 when it became more widespread.
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

In addition to the price of ammo being excessive, agencies that adopted the 10mm with full-power ammo as a standard duty weapon experienced dangerous malfunctions. Also, the full-power loads were difficult for some shooters to control. They began downloading the ammo. The ballistics of the .40 S&W are almost the same as the downloaded 10mm.
            Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
            Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

We carry these

they are great except for when you sit down they tend to poke a hole in the cruiser seat after awhile.

Comment

Just kidding LOL

Comment

Originally posted by ummone View Post
                  No, the ammo is too expensive. 3 to 4 times the price of 9mm with "similar" ballistic characteristics.
                  10mm auto is definitely more expensive and less available than either 9mm Luger or 40SW.

But I would never agree that the ballistic performance of a full-power 10mm auto is "similar" to a 9mm Luger. Fired from a handgun designed for the full power loading, like the Glock 20, the 10mm auto can surpass the .357 Magnum and begin to approach a low end .41 Magnum. That is head and shoulders above the 9mm Luger.

I've hunted regularly using the .357 and .44 Magnums, and more recently the 10mm auto in my Glock 20. Seeing how it takes down game, especially wild boar, I can tell you it is definitely no 9mm Luger!!

Given all that, speaking for myself, I would not want to deal with the blast and recoil of a full power 10mm auto on the street. In addition to the blast, noise and control issues, I would also be very concerned with over-penetration in urban environments.
                  Last edited by stiletto; 04-01-2011, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GGG View Post
                    We carry these

they are great except for when you sit down they tend to poke a hole in the cruiser seat after awhile.
                    Also hard to quick-draw when it takes an extra half-second for the barrel to clear the holster. Should also come equipped with a bipod, flash-suppressor, and scope....
                    "All that is, ever
                    Ever was, will be, ever
                    Twisting, turning, through the never."--Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by stiletto View Post
                      10mm auto is definitely more expensive and less available than either 9mm Luger or 40SW.

But I would never agree that the ballistic performance of a full-power 10mm auto is "similar" to a 9mm Luger. Fired from a handgun designed for the full power loading, like the Glock 20, the 10mm auto can surpass the .357 Magnum and begin to approach a low end .41 Magnum. That is head and shoulders above the 9mm Luger.

I've hunted regularly using the .357 and .44 Magnums, and more recently the 10mm auto in my Glock 20. Seeing how it takes down game, especially wild boar, I can tell you it is definitely no 9mm Luger!!

Given all that, speaking for myself, I would not want to deal with the blast and recoil of a full power 10mm auto on the street. In addition to the blast, noise and control issues, I would also be very concerned with over-penetration in urban environments.
                      I'm glad somebody finally "chimed" in and addressed all the inaccurate comments on the ballistics of the 10mm being the same as a 9mm which is false. The 10mm is and was one of the most effective calibers any Law Enforcement carried the reason they wen't away from it in the mid nineties is not enough of the "type" of recruits and females could qualify with the gun because of novice problems related to flinching. The 10mm isn't for the novice and there were and are too many in L.E who don't shoot on a regular basis. It was the politically incorrect caliber if you will. Read the FBI test on it if you think the round didn't do the job.
                      Disagree on point though about the "over-penetration" issue as quite the opposite is true due to the extreme trauma the round causes on impact. The only risk as would be for any caliber is a miss and since so many "novice" had issue's with qualifying it was a justified concern.
                      All I can tell you is wear your hearing protection and hold on when you shoot it. I shot a Glock 20 not too long ago and was thoroughly impressed at how unreal accurate it was but the speed of the round and the recoil was something similar to a magnum round such as the 357 or the 41 magnum. The reason the ammo is so expensive is because its rare and low in production.
                      "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

I carry a Glock 29 on occasion. Recoil is not as bad once you upgrade the recoil spring to a 22lb spring. I did shoot once with the standard springs and thought the slide was going to fly off!!!

I am a novice shooter, but was not bothered by the recoil. now that i am used to the Glock trigger reset, it's just as easy to shoot as my 1911....ok maybe not as easy, but close enough.

GGG - Now that's a gun!

Comment

Originally posted by wsuguy04 View Post
                          GGG - Now that's a gun!
                          One popped up for sale on the local gun board. It got snatched up in a hurry. I would have grabbed it if I had seen it first.

Comment

I am a fan of the 10mm and would jump at the opportunity to carry my Glock 20. With that said, we are issued and restricted on duty to carrying a .40cal.

Comment

Originally posted by GGG View Post
                              One popped up for sale on the local gun board. It got snatched up in a hurry. I would have grabbed it if I had seen it first.
                              good 10mm's are hard to find. glocks are great, they handle hot loads pretty well. but if you want something like a SW 610, your better off panning for gold....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3357 users online. 178 members and 3179 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X