300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun cleaner recommendation ?

Several new cleaning solutions have come on the market in the last two years. They claim to be less toxic and smell better than Hoppes No. 9 or Break Free CLP. Ones I have heard of include MPro7, Hoppes Elite, Gun Scrubber Synthetic and Smith & Wesson SW010 Synthetic.

Does anyone have a recommendation?
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

There is nothing like the smell of Hoppes! Love it!

Sorry no other recommendations.
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

My Dept started to use (SP?) Gunzilla...Its a little expensive but its fricken awesome. I bought my own for personal use. Its a cleaner and a lubricant. Deputy X2 has it right about nothing like the smell of Hoppes.
      Last edited by Livew1re; 03-23-2011, 07:18 PM.

Comment

If not using Hoppes #9, I use EEZOX on all my hunting/duty firearms. Totes itself as an all purpose gun cleaner and lubricant. Has a sage-like scent to it. Been using it for 10 plus years and have never had a problem. Comes in both aerosol and liquid form.

http://eezox.com/index.html

Comment

If Hoppes #9 will kill me......at least I will die happy.

If Hoppes made a deodorant I would wear it.
          "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
          8541tactical.com - Ammo Wallets

Comment

I use simple green and hot water. It takes a while to get over using water based products on firearms a mental barrier there but that is what works.

Comment

I suppose I could use driveway and BBQ degreaser.

Comment

I've got the Hoppes #9 air freshner for my patrol car, and the rag smells up my office rightly good.

To the OP- I use Hoppes #9 and BreakFree LP. LP is a touch thicker than CL
                I trust my life with J. M. Browning's design, the 1911.

Comment

Slip2000 Carbon Killer is biodegradable and has a citrus scent. This stuff dissolves carbon like a miracle. Just amazing. I soaked a bolt from my AR in a cup of this stuff for 15 minutes and the carbon gone; including the crusted junk.
                  The Slip2000 725 Cleaner/Degreaser is also excellent.
                  http://slip2000.com/

Seriously, their stuff will blow your mind.

Their EWL is the only lube I use. It lasts and lasts. It's not crap like CLP.
                  "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
                  -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

Because it's a Glock, soap and water!

J/K

Hopps and Break Free
                    This is for all you parents that like to put your kids names on the back of your mini-vans.

STOP IT! There are predators that will use that information against them!

Comment

Hoppes makes anywhere feel like home.

If the Catholic church would use Hoppes as holy water, the Sarge would probably convert. (Not really, but it would be tempting.)

Chicks - a little dab of Love Potion #9 on your pulse points will make all the big boys swoon.
                      NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

I use CLP and gun grease.
                        “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations. I currently use Hoppes + Breakfree CLP, but have been told that the solvents in them penetrate the skin and are carcinogenic.

Comment

The MSDS will tell you what health risks there are.
                            NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
                              Thanks for the recommendations. I currently use Hoppes + Breakfree CLP, but have been told that the solvents in them penetrate the skin and are carcinogenic.
                              Use Slip2000 stuff.

From their website:
                              Our purpose behind SLiP2000â„¢ was to give the American gun industry the best lubricants and cleaners on the market while addressing both human health and environmental issues, and we have. SLiP2000â„¢ has been able to provide non-toxic, non-hazardous and biodegradable gun lubricants and cleaners that out perform anything else on the market and our revolutionary new ideas are changing the industry by continuing to improve on faster and safer ways to clean your weapons.
                              "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
                              -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7936 users online. 325 members and 7611 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X