Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

so who's still rockin' the S&W 4506, 5906?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so who's still rockin' the S&W 4506, 5906?

I'm looking at picking up a S&W 4506, 4566, or the like for duty use. Anyone still using this 90's LE auto pistol? Any pros and cons or any info on this weapon would be much appreciated! Thanks

Besides Vic Mackey?
    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

haha yes besides Vic Mackey, don't think he's available to provide me with pros and cons

Comment

I carry the 4586 and the only problem I have in the 8 round mags, from what I have heard parts for the 4500 series are becoming hard to find.
        Thus the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win

Comment

We issued the 6906, based on a simple test: of all the sample guns we bought (not provided by the makers), it had the least malfunctions. At the academy, where I taught for 9 years, my "repair kit" was a small bottle of lube. Of the 5,000 students I taught, we only broke one gun - mine!
          I shot a qual course (aced it), and when I went to clean the gun, I found that the frame was cracked over the slide hold open. It continued to work 100%, with no loss in accuracy, until they sent me another one. How did I break it? Well, I did have the keys to the ammo bunker! And ammo is like fine wine - once you open the case (bottle), you have to finish it!
          My wife liked the gun so much, she bought one that she still carries every day.

With all guns of this series, I taught the use of the "safety" as a decocker. We carried the guns with the "safety" off. And I taught everyone to fire the first shot and hold the trigger back through recoil. Then only let it go forward enough to reset, and you can shoot small groups through the double/single action phase.
          "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
          John Stuart Mill

Comment

Denzel likes em so much he uses two.

Seriously though, I've owned three 4506, and I always get them because they are cool, relatively inexpensive, reliable guns, but I end up selling them because I don't like double action triggers. And if I did like double action triggers, the Sig P220 is pretty much a better gun in every way imaginable, except maybe price. I bet you would have trouble finding a single person to disagree with this either.

Comment

Oh the 4506. I'll one up you, I had a 645, that was the first gun I was issued 13 years ago. Its the even older version of the 4506. When i got it, it was 12 years old!!! Then my old PD switched to G22's. I was given the option to buy it and I passed it up and regret it to this day for nostalgia reasons. It's was big, heavy, long trigger, horrible sights and single stack...and I shot it amazing well! That's the kicker. Honestly, with the quality of guns and options today, I feel it's pretty obsolete. Again I'd like to have had it for the memories and a little range fun.
              Last edited by dogcop; 03-23-2011, 04:56 AM.
              www.saveavet.org

Comment

Carry a 4506 as my duty gun. Also have carried and still own a 4586, which, depending on where my off duty travels take me, I still carry. Both good guns, a bit heavy. I shoot better with the double/ single action than the 4586's DAO. As one who carried a Colt Commander as my "go to" gun on duty for a lot of years, these SW's seemed like space guns when they came out. With that pension looming larger and larger at the end of the tunnel, chances of changing now are slim. I may pick up one of the Glock-type guns for retirement, if not for any reason but the weight, but will probably still stick with a .45.

Comment

my PD just sold all of our 4586's back to smith and got us all M&P's, there should be some PD guns in the flavors your looking for floating around.

Comment

The California Highway Patrol still issues them.

Comment

Our PD still uses those boat anchors. Glad I don't have to use it.

How is this for stupidity. Even though they are no longer produced Smith still makes new pistols for certain agencies, for wait for it..........

$800 per pistol.
                      The comments made herein are those solely of author and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency or other entity.

Surfs Up on youtube!

Specialized Services Group on Facebook!

Comment

Chief Deputy here has only carried one pistol for his entire 27 years in LE, a S&W 645. He still swears by it.

Hell, I still carry a Beretta 92F.

Comment

We just traded in our 4566 TSW's for M&P .45's. What a difference, and thats a good thing!

Comment

4506 4576 4526....all awesome handguns that shoot well and are made for duty carry...you can also take them with you when you go fishing and tie a rope around them if you don't have an anchor and use them to anchor your favorite fishing hole...hahaha..they are great though.
                            "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

Looks like Charlie Beck carries a 4506.
                              Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                              Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3144 users online. 157 members and 2987 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X