X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gunsmith86
    replied
    Originally posted by reils49 View Post
    I get it, SBRs are tacticool. But what are you really gaining? What are you losing?

Working the range, you see plenty of guys with high speed gear, that cannot use it. You also see guys using issued equipment with much more skill than the "high speed" guys. I guess it all depends on the shooter.
    I'll take a shot at your question, reils49. What you're gaining is a shorter, handier, slightly lighter weapon, which is much easier to maneuver in confined spaces, deploy from a vehicle rapidly, store in small places (conceal), and obviously looks way more awesome. As jchughes05 mentioned, they are great in hallways and cramped spaces such as bathrooms. They do almost everything the longer rifles can. They only thing you're losing are a few FPS in velocity. The only difference this makes is at extreme ranges (for police weapons) like 500-800 yards. This probably isn't something you'll miss; the ease-of-handling is well worth the trade-off.

As far as shooters, yes, most everything depends on the shooter. It's nice to have good equipment though. Winning combinations win. It's just that simple.

Leave a comment:

• jchughes05
    replied
    The SROs here are the only ones who have the Sig 556 select-fire SBRs, this was done because a shorter barrel is easier to navigate in a school, which has hallways, classrooms, bathrooms, and could also be crowded, etc.

Leave a comment:

• reils49
    replied
    Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
    Yep. So best to be the high speed guy WITH the high speed gear, than the high speed guy without.
    I get that. And those people aren't my issue. What about the "low speed, high drag" individual with the high speed gear?

And you did not answer my questions.
    Last edited by reils49; 09-28-2014, 06:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tanksoldier
    replied
    I guess it all depends on the shooter.
    Yep. So best to be the high speed guy WITH the high speed gear, than the high speed guy without.

Leave a comment:

• reils49
    replied
    I get it, SBRs are tacticool. But what are you really gaining? What are you losing?

Working the range, you see plenty of guys with high speed gear, that cannot use it. You also see guys using issued equipment with much more skill than the "high speed" guys. I guess it all depends on the shooter.

Leave a comment:

• Gunsmith86
    replied
    My sheriff's office has nice options on what we can have. We can use personally-owned handguns, shotguns, and rifles as long as they match a generously long list of approved models. We have M16A1's from 1033, and they can be modified as long as they are returnable to original configuration.

11B250, the best way to mod them to semi-auto only is by substituting the M16 selector with an AR15 safety. That's way better than those cumbersome selector blocks that snag on slings and other gear.

As far as you guys with your own weapons paying for $200 tax stamps... That is completely avoidable if your agency is willing to work with you on this... You can fill out an ATF Form 1, applying to "make" a SBR/SBS on behalf of a gov't entity (your agency) tax-exempt. You will then technically be donating your firearm to said agency. I had my deputy chief sign an agreement stating the firearm would be returned to me upon my request or when either party terminates my employment. Whenever you leave (or simply after some amount of time), the agency transfers the SBR/SBS to you on a Form 5, which is also tax-exempt. Now remember, you aren't doing this just to save the $200 tax stamp, as that would be federal tax evasion. You're doing this to have a better weapon for duty use, and you just happen to save the $200 tax in the process. Convenient, yes?

The agency does not have to own the weapon (or other NFA item) for you to use it on duty. When I shot my POST rifle qual, I had it noted that my AAC M4-2000 s/n: XXXXXXX was attached. I have it authorized for use as well.

I can't get them to approve my M203. Maybe later. I'll keep working on it...

Leave a comment:

• 11B250
    replied
    Originally posted by Tim Connell NH View Post
    For patrol rifles, we use issued Colt 11.5 inch (semi auto only), with Yankee Hill Machine suppressor. Our issued shotgun is the 14 inch Mossberg.
    damn, your road guys get suppressors? sweet... I'd love that here too... too bad it would be $$$

Leave a comment:

• Tim Connell NH
    replied
    For patrol rifles, we use issued Colt 11.5 inch (semi auto only), with Yankee Hill Machine suppressor. Our issued shotgun is the 14 inch Mossberg.

Leave a comment:

• 11B250
    replied
    Originally posted by BlackCloud View Post
    Only issued rifles are allowed here and they are technically SBRs as they have a 14.5'' barrel and the flash suppressor is not pinned/welded. If we could use personal rifles, I would build something as short and as light as possible 10.5'' DI gun with a lightweight hand guard, aimpoint micro and a TLR-1. That would be the cats *** for room clearing. Still going to build it, just waiting on a tax stamp.
    That's pretty much what we're going to... 10.5 DI with quadrail. you can put your own red dot and light on it if you wanna spend the money. it will come with magpul BUIS. I'm building mine to present as the demo gun to chief. Fingers crossed it will happen. I got some great quotes and things are looking good. Ours were already MG/SBR so no additional paperwork needed...

Leave a comment:

• jchughes05
    replied
    We are only allowed 3 issued weapons.
    1 patrol rifle (AR15 variant (Patrol) or SG556 SBR (SRO/SWAT))
    1 shotgun (Mossberg 500 or Remington 870)
    1 handgun (Glock 21 or Glock 30 (detective/admin))

And we don't have enough of those to go around. I've had just a handgun and shotgun for 8 years. Due to take the patrol rifle and select-fire course this Oct.

As for building an AR, I have one for home, but it's only semi-auto... it has all Magpul parts on it.

Leave a comment:

• BlackCloud
    replied
    Only issued rifles are allowed here and they are technically SBRs as they have a 14.5'' barrel and the flash suppressor is not pinned/welded. If we could use personal rifles, I would build something as short and as light as possible 10.5'' DI gun with a lightweight hand guard, aimpoint micro and a TLR-1. That would be the cats *** for room clearing. Still going to build it, just waiting on a tax stamp.

Leave a comment:

• 11B250
    replied
    Tomorrow, I'm getting gov surplus GUU-5Ps (franksestein m16a2/m4). They all have fixed handle 14.5 uppers. full auto.

Chief wants me to put a block on the selector (any ARNG guys will know what I'm talking about) to prevent full auto fire. Once we get the rifles, I will pitch the SBR idea to him. Considering I saved the dept some serious $$$ by getting surplus rifles, He might be able to spend few grand on SBR uppers. I got one 10.5 upper to demo the benefits of an SBR to him which is my duty rifle.

The benefit to me here is that since all the rifles have to be registered (all full auto aka machine gun type) to ATF on a form 10, I can just put the barrel length in there and knock 2 birds with 1 stone.

I also have a M14 issued to me, but unfortunetly it's too darn big and still on iron sights, so I don't have much use for it.

I'm also trying to get a UMP40 issued to me, because we have a few just sitting around there, and they really need owners

Leave a comment:

• SCSU74
    replied
    My last PD just approved SBR's and suppressors for patrol

Leave a comment:

• Sleuth
    replied
    Pulicords, I see why we have different answers. As a Fed, we had 3 agencies investigate our use of force: IA, FBI, and the local agency, with the locals usually primary.
    When I had a fatal use of force (2 weeks before my planned retirement), it was Tribal Police (happened on an Indian Reservation, i.e. a Sovereign Nation), IA and FBI (to make sure I did not violate anyone's rights). I did not use a firearm, so this did not become a problem. But my vehicle (which I did use, issued by the G) sat behind the office for 5 years until the civil case was done.

And I carried personally owned handguns for most of my career - I was willing to see them go into evidence, as I considered them better suited to the work than the issued handguns. I could always buy another pistol, but lives are not available at Wally World - yet.

Leave a comment:

• jchughes05
    replied
    My agency issues Sig 556 SBRs to the SROs... woohoo! lol

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5388 users online. 289 members and 5099 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X