Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My sheriff's office has nice options on what we can have. We can use personally-owned handguns, shotguns, and rifles as long as they match a generously long list of approved models. We have M16A1's from 1033, and they can be modified as long as they are returnable to original configuration.

11B250, the best way to mod them to semi-auto only is by substituting the M16 selector with an AR15 safety. That's way better than those cumbersome selector blocks that snag on slings and other gear.

As far as you guys with your own weapons paying for $200 tax stamps... That is completely avoidable if your agency is willing to work with you on this... You can fill out an ATF Form 1, applying to "make" a SBR/SBS on behalf of a gov't entity (your agency) tax-exempt. You will then technically be donating your firearm to said agency. I had my deputy chief sign an agreement stating the firearm would be returned to me upon my request or when either party terminates my employment. Whenever you leave (or simply after some amount of time), the agency transfers the SBR/SBS to you on a Form 5, which is also tax-exempt. Now remember, you aren't doing this just to save the $200 tax stamp, as that would be federal tax evasion. You're doing this to have a better weapon for duty use, and you just happen to save the $200 tax in the process. Convenient, yes?

The agency does not have to own the weapon (or other NFA item) for you to use it on duty. When I shot my POST rifle qual, I had it noted that my AAC M4-2000 s/n: XXXXXXX was attached. I have it authorized for use as well.

I can't get them to approve my M203. Maybe later. I'll keep working on it...

Comment

I get it, SBRs are tacticool. But what are you really gaining? What are you losing?

Working the range, you see plenty of guys with high speed gear, that cannot use it. You also see guys using issued equipment with much more skill than the "high speed" guys. I guess it all depends on the shooter.
      I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

I guess it all depends on the shooter.
        Yep. So best to be the high speed guy WITH the high speed gear, than the high speed guy without.
        "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
          Yep. So best to be the high speed guy WITH the high speed gear, than the high speed guy without.
          I get that. And those people aren't my issue. What about the "low speed, high drag" individual with the high speed gear?

And you did not answer my questions.
          Last edited by reils49; 09-28-2014, 07:50 PM.
          I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

The SROs here are the only ones who have the Sig 556 select-fire SBRs, this was done because a shorter barrel is easier to navigate in a school, which has hallways, classrooms, bathrooms, and could also be crowded, etc.
            The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
            that we are all that stands between
            the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post
              I get it, SBRs are tacticool. But what are you really gaining? What are you losing?

Working the range, you see plenty of guys with high speed gear, that cannot use it. You also see guys using issued equipment with much more skill than the "high speed" guys. I guess it all depends on the shooter.
              I'll take a shot at your question, reils49. What you're gaining is a shorter, handier, slightly lighter weapon, which is much easier to maneuver in confined spaces, deploy from a vehicle rapidly, store in small places (conceal), and obviously looks way more awesome. As jchughes05 mentioned, they are great in hallways and cramped spaces such as bathrooms. They do almost everything the longer rifles can. They only thing you're losing are a few FPS in velocity. The only difference this makes is at extreme ranges (for police weapons) like 500-800 yards. This probably isn't something you'll miss; the ease-of-handling is well worth the trade-off.

As far as shooters, yes, most everything depends on the shooter. It's nice to have good equipment though. Winning combinations win. It's just that simple.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5461 users online. 353 members and 5108 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X