Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update from my earlier post almost 3 years ago....

I bought a BCM lower and had it engraved with my trust info. I bought a 14.5" BCM upper (non-NFA) to use while I waited on my tax stamp. The plan was to sell the 14.5 and add an 11.5 when the stamp arrived.

Well, I was so happy with the BCM 14.5" midlength I decided to stick with it for duty use.

An SBR with a can.... mmmmmmm. Almost $500 out of the gate in tax stamps and engraving though.
    Last edited by Resq14; 04-20-2014, 01:04 AM.
    All Gave Some - Some Gave All

{"data-align":"none","data-size":"custom","data-tempid":"temp_14312_1475388990098_890","height":"65","title":"flower.gif","width":"72"}

Comment

It was really easy for me, I ordered a SBR/select-fire rifle from Sig. Sig sent me to NFA paperwork and I handed it to my Chief and said "sign on the line please, I already printed your name." He asked what it was and then said "right on, when it's get here" as he signed it.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
      (")_(")
      Copy and paste Bunny into your
      signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

Something else to consider:
        You have to use your rifle, and it disappears into evidence until the case and all the appeals (over the years) are done.
        I would be very unhappy about that!

I was very happy that my agency issued the Steyr AUG with a 16" barrel, it is shorter in OAL than an M4 with the stock collapsed. When they were used as intended, the officer just drew another while it was in evidence.
        Consider a bullpup, and spend the extra cash on ammo and training.
        "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
        John Stuart Mill

Comment

If only my agency issued rifles, or anything else for that matter short of a handgun and radio.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
          (")_(")
          Copy and paste Bunny into your
          signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

You have to use your rifle, and it disappears into evidence until the case and all the appeals (over the years) are done.
            I'd be happy to be alive.

Survive the gun fight, worry about after if there is an after.

I know an officer in another department who uses this setup:

SIG PM400 w/ SB15 stabilizer, and an EOTECH optic.

Wasn't an option when this threat was started, but it's something I'm considering now.
            Last edited by tanksoldier; 04-20-2014, 05:45 PM.
            "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by Sleuth View Post
              Something else to consider:
              I retired in 2008, but between then and when I first became a LEO in 1976, I carried a personally owned/department approved duty weapon for all but maybe 18 months of that time. I investigated numerous OIS incidents during six years in our Robbery/Homicide unit and am familiar with what is/isn't considered "routine" during these kinds of occurrences. While your jurisdiction might handle things differently than here in Los Angeles County (CA), I've never been involved in or seen a single incident where the personally owned firearm used by an officer(s) wasn't returned within a week of being turned over during an investigation.

Unless there's something seriously unusual about a weapon which was involved in a use of deadly force, there's no reason a firearms examiner can't examine, test, photograph, and thoroughly document the particulars of the officer's property and approve its release. The stories about such seizures have been around for decades. If such things occur, the only justification I could envision would be if the gun in question was seized as evidence in a crime (for which the officer was charged).

As to "civil issues": I'm familiar with those situations too and (again) neither our agency nor any other department that I heard of ever attempted to deprive an officer of their personal property under the conditions described. YMMV
              "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

My agency issues Sig 556 SBRs to the SROs... woohoo! lol
                The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                that we are all that stands between
                the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Pulicords, I see why we have different answers. As a Fed, we had 3 agencies investigate our use of force: IA, FBI, and the local agency, with the locals usually primary.
                  When I had a fatal use of force (2 weeks before my planned retirement), it was Tribal Police (happened on an Indian Reservation, i.e. a Sovereign Nation), IA and FBI (to make sure I did not violate anyone's rights). I did not use a firearm, so this did not become a problem. But my vehicle (which I did use, issued by the G) sat behind the office for 5 years until the civil case was done.

And I carried personally owned handguns for most of my career - I was willing to see them go into evidence, as I considered them better suited to the work than the issued handguns. I could always buy another pistol, but lives are not available at Wally World - yet.
                  "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                  John Stuart Mill

Comment

My last PD just approved SBR's and suppressors for patrol
                    In Valor there is hope

Comment

Tomorrow, I'm getting gov surplus GUU-5Ps (franksestein m16a2/m4). They all have fixed handle 14.5 uppers. full auto.

Chief wants me to put a block on the selector (any ARNG guys will know what I'm talking about) to prevent full auto fire. Once we get the rifles, I will pitch the SBR idea to him. Considering I saved the dept some serious $$$ by getting surplus rifles, He might be able to spend few grand on SBR uppers. I got one 10.5 upper to demo the benefits of an SBR to him which is my duty rifle.

The benefit to me here is that since all the rifles have to be registered (all full auto aka machine gun type) to ATF on a form 10, I can just put the barrel length in there and knock 2 birds with 1 stone.

I also have a M14 issued to me, but unfortunetly it's too darn big and still on iron sights, so I don't have much use for it.

I'm also trying to get a UMP40 issued to me, because we have a few just sitting around there, and they really need owners

Comment

Only issued rifles are allowed here and they are technically SBRs as they have a 14.5'' barrel and the flash suppressor is not pinned/welded. If we could use personal rifles, I would build something as short and as light as possible 10.5'' DI gun with a lightweight hand guard, aimpoint micro and a TLR-1. That would be the cats *** for room clearing. Still going to build it, just waiting on a tax stamp.

Comment

We are only allowed 3 issued weapons.
                          1 patrol rifle (AR15 variant (Patrol) or SG556 SBR (SRO/SWAT))
                          1 shotgun (Mossberg 500 or Remington 870)
                          1 handgun (Glock 21 or Glock 30 (detective/admin))

And we don't have enough of those to go around. I've had just a handgun and shotgun for 8 years. Due to take the patrol rifle and select-fire course this Oct.

As for building an AR, I have one for home, but it's only semi-auto... it has all Magpul parts on it.
                          The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                          that we are all that stands between
                          the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCloud View Post
                            Only issued rifles are allowed here and they are technically SBRs as they have a 14.5'' barrel and the flash suppressor is not pinned/welded. If we could use personal rifles, I would build something as short and as light as possible 10.5'' DI gun with a lightweight hand guard, aimpoint micro and a TLR-1. That would be the cats *** for room clearing. Still going to build it, just waiting on a tax stamp.
                            That's pretty much what we're going to... 10.5 DI with quadrail. you can put your own red dot and light on it if you wanna spend the money. it will come with magpul BUIS. I'm building mine to present as the demo gun to chief. Fingers crossed it will happen. I got some great quotes and things are looking good. Ours were already MG/SBR so no additional paperwork needed...

Comment

For patrol rifles, we use issued Colt 11.5 inch (semi auto only), with Yankee Hill Machine suppressor. Our issued shotgun is the 14 inch Mossberg.
                              http://www.facebook.com/workingdogsnh
                              www.vandesterke.com

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Connell NH View Post
                                For patrol rifles, we use issued Colt 11.5 inch (semi auto only), with Yankee Hill Machine suppressor. Our issued shotgun is the 14 inch Mossberg.
                                damn, your road guys get suppressors? sweet... I'd love that here too... too bad it would be $$$

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5594 users online. 376 members and 5218 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X