300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBR for patrol??

I have been given the go-ahead to build/buy a short barreled M-4. I understand I'll have to pay the $200 for the tax stamp since I'm buying it personally. The catch is, I can only spend the cash if I can use it for patrol. Obviously, this will vary by agency policy but I'm wondering, does your agency allow you to carry a SBR for patrol if you qualify on it?

To take it a bit further would something along the lines of THIS be allowed? Yes, it's a bit over the top but if I can use it for patrol, then I can justify spending the money on it.

Does your agency provide patrol rifles or do you have to buy them yourself? Are you allowed to personalize them or are they required to be uniform? I have lots of furniture and other parts left from my weapons I used in the Army and have been itching to build a personal M-4. Just curious if it's a possibility. I'll likely build one anyhow, it'll just be easier getting the go ahead from the old lady if she thinks I'm using it for work. The "I'm preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse" excuse isn't cutting it.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
    - Mark Twain

There is nothing wrong with the This you linked to, but hardly any integral design, it's just a short barrel gas operated, with an OPS Inc. silencer screwed onto the barrel. Dept. issued weapons are not limited from select fire. If I was doing this I would see if the dept. would authorize select fire, then form 1 register a DIAS for dept use in the dept. registered Short Rifle and Silencer. Then in the future if you left the dept. the Short Rifle and Silencer could be retained by you on a form 5 transfer from a government agency, and the DIAS select fire conversion would be left behind for dept. use or destroyed. Now this is what you could legally do, how you convince your dept. to play along is a project for you to take ownership of.

For more info on DIAS conversions see http://www.quarterbore.com

Comment

My dept allows for patrol rifles as long as we buy them, get them approved , and qualify. Pretty much the only restriction is it can't be full auto and 3 round burst is frowned upon. There is no set style and a sgt used to carry an M1 before he went to investigations. Since we are issued short barreled shotguns, not being allowed to carry a SBR would be silly.
      Originally posted by Ceridwen
      Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

We are issued short-barreled rifles (micro-Galil, converted to semi-auto). We also use short-barreled shotguns.
        Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
        Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

I've seen some local units using short barrel shotguns, but not SBRs.
          ArmyDiver,
          Is it worth for you to spend that extra $200 to get the federal stamp and go through all the paperwork to get SBR? I'm not sure whether you are planning on going with AR/M4 platform or not, but if you do go with AR/M4 style, Bushmaster has a model with Izzy Break that uses 14.5 inch barrel (but since Izzy Break is permanently attached to the barrel, total length for the barrel is considered legally accepted 16 inches). But then again, I am living in NYS where having anything that is fun is frowned upon.

Our local agencies usually provide rifles/shotguns to selected officers/units, so personally owned firearms are pretty much not carried.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy building your new toy, I meant your work tool. Let us know what you've decided on.

Comment

There's no doubt that a 16" gun sucks for CQB. A 12.5", 11.5", 10.5", 10.3", or 9.5" barrel would all work well. Personally, I would recommend that you stick to a barrel in the 10.3"-12.5" range. This will ensure you get good velocity for the bullets, plus really short barrels produce a significant amount of muzzle concussion and muzzle flash. It seems like the 10.3" Mk18 barrels are where they start to mellow out. I've been reading a lot of stuff lately indicating that 11.5" barrels seem to be the shortest to go for the best reliability. I think a 10.3" Mk18 would be the shortest I'd want to go for a 5.56mm duty setup.
            "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
            -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

we are issued SBR ARs w/flat top upper and eotech...full auto too
              I have no complaints
              Chris

XBOX Live: Citizen GaKar

http://i36.tinypic.com/1zoxgtc.gif

Comment

Stop gloating!
                Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Sounds like it would be a go. Some departments issue rifles and some don't. Of the three I am currently in the process with, only one does that I know of. The other two allow you to purchase your own and carry it. You just have to get it approved and qualify with it. I'm not sure about length requirements but it seems that most of you are pretty much gtg with whatever you have.

It would be nice to use for patrol but I'm really just trying to justify the purchase to the old lady...
                  I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
                  - Mark Twain

Comment

Here's my issued rifle:

I love it.
                    Originally posted by kontemplerande
                    Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

I know you said you weren't particularly interested in the Spike's Tactical rifle that you linked too. But just for your information that Rifle would require two tax stamps, one for the Suppressor and one for the SBR. So you would be looking at $400 in Tax Stamps
                      Academy Graduation...December 17th 2010

Taser Taser Taser....I will never volunteer to ride the lightning again.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael2007 View Post
                        I know you said you weren't particularly interested in the Spike's Tactical rifle that you linked too. But just for your information that Rifle would require two tax stamps, one for the Suppressor and one for the SBR. So you would be looking at $400 in Tax Stamps
                        And IMO way too short for LE work. An 8.1" suppressed DI gun is not going to be nearly as reliable as a 10.3" or 11.5" gun and will not have the velocity desired as Reedo already stated.
                        Eat Meat, Build Mass!

www.centralfloridaammo.com

Comment

Once they come back in stock, I'm going with a 12.5" Bravo Company for patrol use.

For real this time. haha
                          http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-S...2%20vtrx11.htm
                          All Gave Some - Some Gave All

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
                            Here's my issued rifle:

I love it.
                            Nice!

Comment

I'm jealous......we have a strict 'no personal long guns allowed' policy in force here.

Never mind the fact that it is impossible to get a NFA permit here in CA for personal use.
                              The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10889 users online. 394 members and 10495 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X