300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kel Tec

Looking into purchasing my first gun. I have shot a sig .22, a glock 9mm and a glock .45. I want to get a 9mm for practice and im wondering if anyone has experience with Kel Tec's.....any info is appreciated....thanks

If you want a gun for range work and you're familiar with the Glock then buy a Glock, it'll last you forever. Nothing against Kel-tecs, I've got a couple, but their guns are geared more towards carry than lots of range time. I'm no Glock fan but it would probably be perfect for your needs.

Comment

+1 Kel Tec P-11's and Pf-9's are not a good gun to take to the range. They will serve you well for conceal carry but are not a joy to shoot. Great price for CCW.

Comment

Wheres Nutnfancy when you need him?
        This is for all you parents that like to put your kids names on the back of your mini-vans.

STOP IT! There are predators that will use that information against them!

Comment

Your first gun ought to be a big, heavy, reliable shooter. Something that will put as few impediments as possible in the way of laying down the fundamentals. I like WC145's suggestion; get a Glock 17. You can get them for not a lot more than a Kel Tec, especially if you buy used.

I own a Kel Tec P3AT and I love it. It's a great concealment pistol, but it is difficult to shoot well and when I see newer shooters at the range with their subcompact 380s and 9mms they're often putting rounds below an 18" target at 5 yards because their pistol has taught them all kinds of bad habits. Then they come back with lasers to try and fix their problem, and you can see the tremendous flinch brought on by trying to control that tiny, sharp-snapping pistol. The worst part is that they can't just buy a bigger gun and learn proper shooting techniques -- now they have to unlearn that flinch before they can do anything else.
          **Not a LEO**

Comment

thanks for the responses guys....im gonna get a gun safe first and get my membership squared away at the range....i'll probably take your advice and go with the glock 17.....thanks again

Comment

Go Glock 19...Its just a bit smaller and still gives you a full size feel.
              One Shot, One Kill. Anything else is just pu(ff)y!

Comment

I'm not very big on Keltec. In my opinion, their guns tend to be somewhat rough out of the box, and often require quite a bit of TLC and handholding from the manufacturer (pretty much every KT owner has heard of the "fluff and buff"). I had a P3AT and while KT customer service was very good about sending me parts anytime I needed them, it took a long, long time before it became a smooth shooter. I never really considered it to be life and death reliable.

Once I had the chance to upgrade to a satin chrome Ruger LCP, I jumped on it and never looked back. The Ruger was a finished product, functioned flawlessly compared to the KT which to me was more a work in progress. Ruger definitely took the KT design and made it what it needed to be, IMHO.

Keltec is also one of the few manufacturers that is excluded from our department's list of approved off-duty firearms.

IMHO, you cannot even mention Glock and Keltec in the same sentence. The difference in quality and reliability between the two is truly monumental.

Comment

Originally posted by stiletto View Post
                  I'm not very big on Keltec. In my opinion, their guns tend to be somewhat rough out of the box, and often require quite a bit of TLC and handholding from the manufacturer (pretty much every KT owner has heard of the "fluff and buff"). I had a P3AT and while KT customer service was very good about sending me parts anytime I needed them, it took a long, long time before it became a smooth shooter. I never really considered it to be life and death reliable.

Once I had the chance to upgrade to a satin chrome Ruger LCP, I jumped on it and never looked back. The Ruger was a finished product, functioned flawlessly compared to the KT which to me was more a work in progress. Ruger definitely took the KT design and made it what it needed to be, IMHO.

Keltec is also one of the few manufacturers that is excluded from our department's list of approved off-duty firearms.

IMHO, you cannot even mention Glock and Keltec in the same sentence. The difference in quality and reliability between the two is truly monumental.
                  +1 couldn't be more true about the difference between Glock and Kel-Tec, pretty sure i wouldn't trust my life to a Kel-Tec, just sayin....
                  In Valor there is hope

Comment

Originally posted by thepizzle44 View Post
                    Looking into purchasing my first gun. I have shot a sig .22, a glock 9mm and a glock .45. I want to get a 9mm for practice and im wondering if anyone has experience with Kel Tec's.....any info is appreciated....thanks
                    Depends mostly on what you plan to do with it but (1) I wouldn't trust my life to a Keltec if you plan carry/CCW it (2) I wouldn't make my first gun a Keltec.

I'd take a used Glock or MnP over a new Keltec any day if $$$ is the major issue.
                    - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

Comment

While I agree that most KelTec's aren't good 1st guns for people. I think they can be good guns. I agree they are not known for being "finished"; this is why they are affordable. I carry a 3AT as a BUG & it's my usual off duty carry. But it had to earn that right. I have polished & buffed it; shot it with varying ammo types till it showed me it was something I trusted.
                      Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God MATT 5:9

Comment

KelTec does make affordable and workable pistols for concealed carry. As a range gun, I am strongly against it as their guns are not for shooting long duration of time. Whenever I run classes, I see most people start having shaking hands after firing about 30 to 50 rounds of 9mm out of Kel-Tec.

As for your first gun, there are better suitable options available to you.

Comment

kel tec PF9

Picked up a PF9 the other day and I'll put some serious ammo through it first then give you guys a good test and eval of this pistol...it was an impulse buy for a back up vest gun. If you wan't the thinnest lightest 9mm they make that is about the same dimensions as most 380acp's the PF9 is the way to go, but before I endorse it, especially to fellow L.E. let me pump a couple hundred rounds through it first. I just did the "lunch break" on duty twenty round because it was all i had in the cruiser hunt club function shoot and I was impressed with the groupings it printed at ten yards but it was a little handful to say the least. Just the way the gun is rattlin now after only twenty or so rounds I can tell I'll be forkin out some trade in's to get me a replacement Kahr or stick to my J frame airweight though.....couldn't pass it up for $280 price walkin out the door.
                          NOT TO GET OFF TOPIC: But "off topic" haha..that Keltec P or Pf 30 in 22 magnum looks like a fun little small game gun..It comes standard thirty rounds of 22 magnum!! god what a horrible suffering death that would be.

http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/pistols/pmr-30/
                          Last edited by Nightshift va; 04-07-2011, 07:36 PM.
                          "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4575 users online. 161 members and 4414 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X